Concept Why has no one made a titanium case?

cribbit

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 1, 2018
My understanding of titanium is that the material is not that much more expensive than aluminum but is much harder to work with, especially for complex bends and folds.

I can understand not making some of the more complex cases or parts. But things like side panels or other simple aspects should be totally feasible.

I know that there's really not much benefit to ti in a PC case, where there aren't the strength needs of something like a vehicle or plane. But, I love anodized ti.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
It seems like to reduce weight while keeping cost reasonable, it would make more sense to choose a thinner aluminum sheet and stamp it to increase its strength.

drunker

Trash Compacter
Apr 25, 2017
for the same amount of cost, you can get more aluminium and make the case thicker and feel more steady.
TItanium is not as easy to work with as aluminium and would limit the designer's creativity.

Wenemun

Caliper Novice
Mar 7, 2018
Ever tried cutting or bending titanium? not fun (granted I used 6061 for shields but still not fun.)

Also, why? Do you really need to be able to run your case over with a truck or drop it off a building?

batterybull

Trash Compacter
Jul 28, 2018

cribbit

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 1, 2018
Ever tried cutting or bending titanium? not fun (granted I used 6061 for shields but still not fun.)

Also, why? Do you really need to be able to run your case over with a truck or drop it off a building?

Yes, hence my stipulation about using it largely in sheet form.

I want to anodize it. Anodized ti looks very different than anodized alu. Even raw it's a very different, distinct look (when finished properly).

cribbit

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 1, 2018
That sheet is less than a millimeter. I'm not sure how that would hold up as structural support, one way to find out?

From my experience with ti, just fine. Also, in this case the body of the case would still be your normal alu, only the outer panels (the actually visible part) would be ti rendering it moot anyways.

Wenemun

Caliper Novice
Mar 7, 2018
Yes, hence my stipulation about using it largely in sheet form.
I want to anodize it. Anodized ti looks very different than anodized alu. Even raw it's a very different, distinct look (when finished properly).

From my experience with ti, just fine. Also, in this case the body of the case would still be your normal alu, only the outer panels (the actually visible part) would be ti rendering it moot anyways.

If its just for looks, and its a material you know, why not? That will look sick! Do it! Show us!

And yeah, i would love to see some rainbow titanium. ala below.

Reactions: nyxtom

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
beautiful thing,
if you have to ask how much, you cannot afford it, especially the price of the car

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
Titanium does look awesome but some factors why it may not be used for PC cases over aluminium are exisiting tooling for aluminium punching/forming that may not work with titan, since it's harder. Pharaps there are other costs involved experting/importing titanium goods?

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Reading Wikipedia titanium isn’t all that, it has to be made into an alloy to have the qualities we associate with it (strength) otherwise it is much like mild steel except it doesn’t rust- it is a common element on Earth. It isn’t very conductive (heat or electricity) so in many ways aluminium, stainless or mild steel seem better choices.

The reason it seems to have a mythos is because its processing is very difficult and that makes it expensive.

Ultimately then it makes a pointless material for a PC case, which is why Apple used it for their Power Book G4 about 10 years’ ago I guess.

This is what it looks like on buildings;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium#/media/File:El_Guggenheim_vizcaíno._(1454058701).jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_Yuri_Gagarin#/media/File:Памятник_Гагарину_Ю.А_01.JPG

In my opinion it looks quite unremarkable, I’d prefer 18/20 stainless steel to imitate it although that is much heavier.

Ocheeru

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 28, 2018
The biggest advantage of titanium really isn't just its strength, but its elasticity at that strength. Fatigue is why many parts break, and this elasticity is what allows it to last longer.

Reactions: Phuncz

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
The biggest advantage of titanium really isn't just its strength, but its elasticity at that strength. Fatigue is why many parts break, and this elasticity is what allows it to last longer.
Not really important in a PC case though? I don't want a flexable case, if I did I'd use latex.

Reactions: dealda