CPU Why aren't people using AIO pumps?

rindoze

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
It seems every build out there is using some custom CPU water block, with all these extra fittings and half the time a separate small pump. I'm just using an Asetek pump from an AIO, its quiet, small, and super reliable. Any reason that no one else is doing this?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It's also very limiting in terms of flow - you can't throw a GPU block in the loop with most AIO pumpblocks.

In saying that, there are DDC mount CPU blocks that exist - a good middleground between the AIO pumpblock and having the pump seperate.

rindoze

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
Isn't Asetek the best pump maker though? They hold most of the patents and IP I thought. I am currently using mine off of their 645LT (92mm AIO) and have it going to a 240mm rad and 1080ti with EK block. No problems at all, been running it for years, and 100% silent.
So if anyone is looking for a super compact setup I highly recommend it, not to mention saves a boatload of money.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Isn't Asetek the best pump maker though? They hold most of the patents and IP I thought. I am currently using mine off of their 645LT (92mm AIO) and have it going to a 240mm rad and 1080ti with EK block. No problems at all, been running it for years, and 100% silent.
So if anyone is looking for a super compact setup I highly recommend it, not to mention saves a boatload of money.

Define 'best'. Other AIO makers like EK and Artic Cooling surpassed their performance long ago. Asetek tried and succeeded using dumbass American patent law to monopolize the market...until engineers figured out ways around their moronically granted patents, that should NEVER have been granted in the first place--hello prior art.

That being said, AIOs are elegant and 80% of the way there...so long as GPU cooling isn't in your sights.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
The only thing they're best at is holding and enforcing said patents and ip...

They only started improving their pump design in recent years because the competition started to get creative with working around their patents.

Their pumps up to gen 5 gen 6 were garbage, and barely had enough flow to to keep their own finstack working optimally, without any margin for future restrictions due to wear let alone modifications.

Gen 5 and especially Gen 6 are much better but not even close to the pumps found on the likes or arctic and EK's latest units.

Edit: seems like I was giving them too much credit, gen 5 was garbage too.

For reference, this was basically the "best" the could come up with untill gen 6:

These are the EK, Artic and Asetek gen 6 impellers(if you can't really picture the size difference their diameter is basically the same as the entire internal diameter of the gen 4-5 pump... pictured above):

Last edited: