Which system?...

Dawelio

Awesomeness
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

Probably the dumbest question I'll ask on this forum, but I'm kinda stuck here...

I have no idea which system to stick with really, my old Intel system or my new Ryzen system (and sell my Intel system)?

Old:

Intel i7 6850K
ASRock X99-E ITX/AC
ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB

or

New:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
ASUS ROG STRIX X370-I GAMING
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (same memory as above)

I'm a bit concerned about the thermals of this massive GPU (1080 Ti) and it's huge TDP inside of the Dan Case A4 SFX v2?... And wondering if I should keep it and sell the 1080 Strix, or return the 1080 Ti FTW3 and keep using my 1080 Strix?.

I've always been an Intel guy, as AMD never really interested me, untill recently with the release of Ryzen. And also how Intel as a company has been/is treating it's customers, and the fact that they have been doing CPUs for decades and yet this whole thing with Spectre and Meltdown really got me...

But also the fact that the 1700X is soldered, just like the 6850K, but is 95W TDP rather than 140W on the 6850K.
Therefore being a more efficient and cooler CPU, especially under an small 92 mm AIO.

Again, probably the dumbest question you people have gotten, but I still wanted to ask anyway since I'm stuck in my head and would really appreciate some help/advice/thoughts on here/on this. Since so far, you all have seemed like a really nice bunch of people and very helping, which is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Best regards,
Dawelio

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty certain that changing from a 6 core 12 thread CPU to 8 core 16 thread CPU likely won't make a lick of difference for gaming performance (could even be a downgrade if your 1700 sucks). Clocks are similar and RAM isn't fast enough to push the 1700 ahead of the X99 CPU using Infinity Fabric. All in all, the "trade up" looks more like a side grade to me. The only reason I would consider going to the 1700 is if you can't cool the 6850K in the Dan A4 (ie. I would seek an upgrade after trying the 6850).

Also worth mentioning is that that Zen+ 12nm (~200 MHz higher clocks) and X470 chipset are pretty much right around the corner. That makes this is a particularly bad time to buy an AM4 board and CPU. Wait a month or two and you can have a 5-10% performance bump at the same price point or a nice little cost savings for the same hardware you're looking to buy right now. Heck you could probably even get a proven Ryzen 7 overclocker used for cheap since a lot of people will be upgrading just to have the latest and greatest.

As far as the 1080 vs the 1080ti goes, given the presently absurd price of GPUs combined with the manufacturers trying to move out more reasonably priced units to gaming consumers, I'd personally return the 1080ti and wait for the 2080/1180 Ampere chips to drop (supposed to be announced in March at GDC 2018). Presumably there will be some sort of measures in place for this launch to ensure cards are only sold in low volumes giving you a better chance of snagging a card close to MSRP.

In the past, Nvidia's commercial releases have only been a couple of months behind their paper launches which means we could be seeing xx60/xx70/xx80 Ampere by the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jØrd and jtd871