Motherboard What's the RAM compatibility with Intel / AMD?

laiv

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 25, 2020
Hi there!

I have been looking for RAM for my build. I was reading specs and checking out prices when I realised that some SIMs (Corsair Vengance and G.Skill Trident) have an specific model compatible with AMD (100, 200, 300, 400, 470, 570) and Intel.

I didn't know we had to look at the compatibility of the RAM.

What's is this compatbility about?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi there!

I have been looking for RAM for my build. I was reading specs and checking out prices when I realised that some SIMs (Corsair Vengance and G.Skill Trident) have an specific model compatible with AMD (100, 200, 300, 400, 470, 570) and Intel.

Just marketing.

Reactions: Kilrah

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
Being a RAM compatibility thread, I figure this is the place to ask: What's the difference in installed RAM height vs. a CPU cooler height?

As far as I can tell, CPU sockets sit 8mm off the motherboard. And RAM modules sit just about 3mm from the PCB. So theoretically, if you have 50mm of CPU cooler clearance, you should be able to fit 55mm tall modules?

Second question in case anyone knows: What's the height of Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB modules? I believe around 55mm like the original Dom Plats

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Hi there!

Are you talking about the QVL listed on a motherboard's product page?

laiv

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 25, 2020
Being a RAM compatibility thread, I figure this is the place to ask: What's the difference in installed RAM height vs. a CPU cooler height?

As far as I can tell, CPU sockets sit 8mm off the motherboard. And RAM modules sit just about 3mm from the PCB. So theoretically, if you have 50mm of CPU cooler clearance, you should be able to fit 55mm tall modules?

The second question in case anyone knows: What's the height of Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB modules? I believe around 55mm like the original Dom Plats

If Amazon is right. Corsair Dominance RGB modules are 5.31 x 0.31 x 2.2 in . On the other hand, regarding CPU clearance, you might be right, the problem is the rest of the components around the socket. VRM coolers, I/O panels, etc. That's why I asked if coolers can be installed in different orientations. Some coolers are not totally symmetric.

I would rather prefer not having the cooler tapping the RAM or so close I can not change it without removing off the cooler. Not mention airflows restrictions.

Are you talking about the QVL listed on a motherboard's product page?
Yes. I'm reading that some kits might not be compatible or they could not perform as expected.

No, he's talking of those RAM kits sold with "special for AMD" marketing.
Also this. I saw those G.Skill Triden Z Neo specifically for AMD. They are more expensive than the regular Triden Z (about 25-30€).

I have been looking for Ryzen 3000 RAM compatibility lists, but no luck. I'm not looking for top performance, just compatibility.

Last edited:

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
If Amazon is right. Corsair Dominance RGB modules are 5.31 x 0.31 x 2.2 in . On the other hand, regarding CPU clearance, you might be right, the problem is the rest of the components around the socket. VRM coolers, I/O panels, etc. That's why I asked if coolers can be installed in different orientations. Some coolers are not totally symmetric.

I would rather prefer not having the cooler tapping the RAM or so close I can not change it without removing off the cooler. Not mention airflows restrictions.
I'm using a square/95x95mm/"no contact," whatever you want to call it cooler so it won't be touching my RAM or motherboard components regardless. It's more for checking if the RAM fits inside the case, and it's relation to my CPU cooler's height.

That being said 2.2" is roughly just under 56mm. If I remember correctly, the original Dominator Platinums are 55mm, so, the RGB models are likely the same. It's going to be very close in my case, but SHOULD fit.

The case manufacturer lists max CPU cooler height as 51. Give the CPU surface sits 5mm higher than the RAM modules, that means 56mm for RAM. 2.2 inches is 55.8(something)mm, so, in theory it fits by just a hair. We'll find out soon, I guess.