M1 case - Air Cooler and RAM compatibility

Rusty McFot

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
Hi SFFers!

I'm slowly building up my parts for a new gaming/everything rig and have some research to do regarding air cooler and ram compatibility. I was wondering if anyone here may have looked into this, so that I could leverage off their suggestions.

I have an M1 case arriving in a month or so. I just picked up my 7700K and will be putting it into an ASUS Z270i when they are available.

I am wondering if I have to be careful about the height of the ram, and whether there could be a conflict there.

Not too sure what cooler to get, so any suggestions would be great. I won't be overclocking it for a few years, or until I need that extra processing speed from it, but I'd prefer to get a cooler that can handle an OC'd 7700K.

I currently have a Corsair 280mm GTX all in one liquid cooler in my big machine, so I'm also tossing up wether or not to try and squeeze a 120mm one in the M1.

I'm a fan of Corsair RAM, but not opposed to G Skill.

Does anyone know of a combo that will allow Corsair Dominator or Vengeance RAM to fit with a decent cooler, and fit in an M1?

Current parts on hand:
ASUS GTX 1080 FE
i7 7700K
M1 Case (waiting for delivery)

Proposed Parts:
Samsung 960 evo (OS drive)
Samsung 950 pro (2.5" storage drive)
Silver stone SX800LTI PSU
Corsair Dominator of Vengeance 2x16GB
ASUS Z270i Motherboard
Cooler ???

If anyone wants to chime in, I'd greatly appreciate the heads up!

Reactions: confusis

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
The M9i is pretty good for RAM compatibility, here's how it fits against my Ballistix tactical tracer with monarch heatspreaders.

Rusty McFot

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
I wonder if an NH C14S would fit, above some Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM, with a fan on the bottom.

I'm looking at the U9S or D9L, but the idea of a 140mm fan is nice.

nerone

What's an ITX?
Feb 17, 2017
I have the noctua nh-c14s with corsair vengeance LPX and the cooler fits with the fan below the fins.
Keep in mind that I use another case with m-atx motherboard.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I wonder if an NH C14S would fit, above some Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM, with a fan on the bottom.

I'm looking at the U9S or D9L, but the idea of a 140mm fan is nice.

You can mount the C14S but you can only use 15mm fans on the fan bracket. In order to use the lower 140mm fan the PSU has to be moved, it blocks the fan. I have seen people use an ATX to SFX adapter bracket and use the included ATX mounting bracket which will move the fan location to the front of the case. This does leave just enough room for a 15mm fan on the side bracket and room for the 140mm fan on the Noctua.