Memory RAM upgrade question

Yona

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 16, 2022
Hi everyone I am new here and this is my first post ,so please be gentle =]

I have a pc with the following spec:

Motherboard- ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING (AM4)
Storage- 500GB Crucial_SSD
128GB SanDisk SSD
1TB Sabrent M.2 SSD
CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Graphics- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
RAM- G.SKILL "F4-3000C16D-16GISB"
DDR4-3000 CL-16-18-18-38 1.35v
8Gx2 Intel XMP 2.0 Ready

I use Photoshop and 3D modeling software a lot and all of this while Google Chrome is open in the background.
So I decided to upgrade my RAM, I have only 2 slots on my MB so I will just be replacing the existing ones with 16X2 (32Gigs).
Considering my MB and CPU can you guys share your knowledge with me on which RAM should I consider buying...Timing and Latency wise.

thank you =]

Mashndrow

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2022
I think capacity is more important than speed. Of course, there are going to be differences but I don't think you will notice that. Just go with 2x16 3200MHz CL 16 module like G.Skill Ripjaws V. It's cheap and has great performance. You can go with a 3600MHz version with the same CL 16 but, you will pay extra 40 bucks and I'm not sure if that MOBO supports 3600MHz.

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I'd agree with @Mashndrow that the G.Skill Ripjaws V is probably your best bang for buck.

I checked your X470 board and it does support DDR4-3600. That will also give you a 1:1 ratio for your FCLK/Infinity Fabric at 1800MHz which can improve performance in some applications.

Here's a link to some performance numbers for Photoshop. Take a look at the 3900X results and you'll see there's not a huge amount of difference.

Does RAM speed affect video editing performance? (pugetsystems.com)

You haven't mentioned what 3D modelling software you use, but I'd suggest seeing if you can find some memory speed benchmarks for it before you buy, to see how much difference it makes for that.

It's certainly not worth spending a fortune on exotic low latency memory for Photoshop though. You would be better off putting the money you save towards a faster CPU, and there could be some good deals on those later in the year when AMD moves to the new AM5 socket, and there's more competition from Intel.

BIOS 4007 and above on your board will support newer 5000 Series Ryzen CPUs up to the 5950X, so there's a nice upgrade path available without buying a new motherboard, if your CPU cooler is up to the task.

ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)

Reactions: Phuncz and lozza_c

Yona

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 16, 2022
Thank you guys for your comments, I appreciate that. Will check about the G.Skill Ripjaws V✌️