What ITX Motherboards Are Compatible with the Noctua NH-L12S?

Tsuchinoko

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Hello, friend.
I plan to build on GHOST S1 and NOCTUA NH-L12S. I have heard that the NH-L12S is a very good cooler, but the biggest issue is compatibility with the VRM big heatsink on the ITX motherboard. I am looking for a Z390 (itx) motherboard since I will be choosing 9900K.
I was planning to use the ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING, but this motherboard has a huge VRM cooler so the NH-L12S doesn't seem to work.
Do you have any recommended Z390 motherboard that can use NH-L12S? My friend recommended the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming - ITX/ac, but can this motherboard carry the NH-L12S?

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance!

P.S. The Noctua NH-L12S is not compatible with the GHOST S1, but I will press it in and process it to 66 mm or less.

Last edited:

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Yeah, the Asrock board will work. Technically both would work, but you'd have to remove the Strix's huge ass aluminum thing. However then you wouldn't have a VRM heatsink lol.

Tsuchinoko

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Yeah, the Asrock board will work. Technically both would work, but you'd have to remove the Strix's huge ass aluminum thing. However then you wouldn't have a VRM heatsink lol.

Thanks for telling me!
Please tell me one more thing. I am also interested in the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming - ITX/TB3 on the X570 motherboard. Do you think this motherboard is compatible with Noctua NH-L12S?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
P.S. The Noctua NH-L12S is not compatible with the GHOST S1, but I will press it in and process it to 66 mm or less.

Ewww, am I the only one being worried there ? The original NH-L12 (non S) is 66mm tall and compatible with the S1. Out of curriosity, why aren't you going with an AIO (and a top hat) ? 9900K is quite the heater and the S1 is rather small to keep it cool on air.