Advice for a M-ITX build (video editing and no overclocking)

Khan_81

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Hi!

I need to build a PC within a limited timeframe and with overheating concerns in mind.

I´m reusing a Silverstone RVZ01 Mini-ITX case (83 mm of height restriction for CPU coolers) for an upcoming setup capable of running video editing software like Davinci Resolve or Premiere at reasonable performance but not going overkill (no overclocking)

I considered jumping to Ryzen 3700x but I´m on a tight budget (X570 motherboards are expensive) and BIOS compatibility issues with X470/B450 MB's fend me off. So I´m sticking to Ryzen 2700/2700X.

Should I be okay with the 2700 for ocassional video editing tasks, or does the performance leap justify the purchase of a 2700X? (I´m keeping them at stock speeds)

Either way, I guess heat it´s gonna be a concern. So, which low profile CPU cooler would you recommend? I´m debating wether I should go for the Big Shuriken 3 or Noctua NH-L12S

-Big Shuriken 3
pros: ease of installation, enough clearance for tall RAM
cons: a bit behind the NH-L12S in thermal performance

-Noctua NH-L12S
pros: best overall regarding temps and noise
cons: huge, might be picky to fit in certain MB's (big VRMs heatsinks), you are limited to LPX memory kits

When it comes to the motherboard, Which would be a safe bet?

Thanks a lot ;)

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I would go for the 2700X. Not a massive price difference, and since you aren't overclocking the difference in base/boost would be worth it. It's not a drastic difference in performance, but it will save you in encoding time in the long run.

I would go with the Noctua for the cooler - which has a fair amount of reviews out, including some with higher TDP CPUs - and LPX (Corsair Vengeance LPX typically good compatibility, both for size and for validation) RAM, provided the RAM is listed in the motherboard manufacturer's QVL/support list on their website, or confirmed working at the rated speed by other users. If you do find taller RAM you want to use, though, and it won't fit with the Noctua or you aren't sure, the Big Shuriken 3 looks good judging by reviews. I have no personal experience with it and it looks to be fairly new, but Scythe products are very good in general, and I wouldn't hesitate to use one in a system if the pricing is decent.

For motherboard choice, the MSI B450I has one of the best VRM setups (8-phase) which matters more for overclocking, but should also help to keep them cool which is good for long-term stability. Reviews are very positive, as well, and if you have to go into the BIOS (which you probably won't need to much, given not OCing, but still recommended to do custom fan curves especially if you like a quiet system) I would rate theirs as second best after ASUS. It's also not priced much above the other ITX B450 boards, and might even be same price or cheaper depending on where you are shopping (I just checked Newegg). And if you do decide to update to a 3000 series later on and presumably all the BIOS kinks are worked out, the B450I (not sure if its getting a Max version) should be plenty capable to handle even the higher core 3000s.

Note: Even though you aren't overclocking, it may be worth considering manually tweaking the voltage and clock settings. Ryzen Master makes it quicker and easier (no restarting to go into BIOS!) to find a happy medium between processing power and efficiency by undervolting the 2700X, which can lower the power draw and heat versus auto voltage; though if you really don't want to go through the process it should be able to run cool enough purely stock.

Last edited:

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
I would go with the Big Shuriken 3 because it is most likely cheaper and might cool the vrm better. The MSI board is the best choice.