What do I need for a Brickless S4M?

RazielCrow

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 19, 2019
1) video card with a very short height [ referred to as ITX-size ] ,which is about 116mm or less.

2) this - https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-400w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html

3) and this - https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

4) contact @Josh | NFC ,to ask him to mod your setup, for a GX16 power cord, & to make special low profile GPU cabling.

Would the 1070 super be possible? The height is 126...........any way to make it work?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
You said 1070, but links a 2070...

Anyway, for over-height cards to go brickless..

2 options right now, both require modding:
  1. Shift the gpu in towards the motherboard. Requires custom PCI bracket.
  2. Swap the traditional position of hdplex AC-DC (no.2 up there) and DC-ATX (no.3) So basically you put the dc-atx beside the gpu (no modding needed). The ac-dc, is beside the motherboard, and require sanding down 2mm off its enclosure (1mm off each side) because of the flanges in the frame.
No. 1 is cleaner, but harder since you'd need a fabricator, and no telling if your current nfc riser would work or you need to buy another more flexible one.

No. 2 would mean cabling goes everywhere, but easier to do.

RazielCrow

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 19, 2019
You said 1070, but links a 2070...

Anyway, for over-height cards to go brickless..

2 options right now, both require modding:
  1. Shift the gpu in towards the motherboard. Requires custom PCI bracket.
  2. Swap the traditional position of hdplex AC-DC (no.2 up there) and DC-ATX (no.3) So basically you put the dc-atx beside the gpu (no modding needed). The ac-dc, is beside the motherboard, and require sanding down 2mm off its enclosure (1mm off each side) because of the flanges in the frame.
No. 1 is cleaner, but harder since you'd need a fabricator, and no telling if your current nfc riser would work or you need to buy another more flexible one.

No. 2 would mean cabling goes everywhere, but easier to do.

I am very sorry, I must have autocorrected, I did in fact mean the 2070 super I linked.

Thank you for the clarification! I am hoping to make a small mobile powerhouse for mobile game dev and gaming, 3d modeling.

Now just debating an intel i9 9900 or an amd 3900.... what would you recommend? Both I assume work fine, hoping to have the bare minimum in moving parts. This will be in my backpack everyday to different sites, along with two portable 17” monitors.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Neither. Save yourself a world of pain and don't use those.

You just can't cool them properly in an S4M. You'll end up downvolting/downclocking them.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Neither. Save yourself a world of pain and don't use those.

You just can't cool them properly in an S4M. You'll end up downvolting/downclocking them.
The 3900X does have that 65W TDP-down mode they added recently, so it should be possible to cool it in that mode, but other than that I absolutely agree with you. A stock 3900X uses about 144W package power under sustained loads - there's no way you'll cool that in an S4 mini. The 9900K is even hotter than that, unless you have one of the extremely few motherboards that enforces Intel's stock power settings.

A lower power CPU like a 3700X would likely be a better choice unless the workloads it will be running really love more cores, in which case a 3900X in 65W mode would likely be best.