What do I need for a Brickless S4M?

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Assuming I buy an S4M from here:
https://www.sfflab.com/collections/enclosures/products/nfc_s4m

I plan on putting an 8770K and a GTX 1070 in it.

In addition to the case, what do I need to buy? I think I have to buy a power switch... but the power supply options completely confuse me. I've never built a PC that doesn't use power bricks.

in general, you need a video card with a very short height [ referred to as ITX-size ] ,which is about 116mm or less.

and this power supply - https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-400w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html

Last edited:

Jaxel

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
Is that the only thing I need for the power supply? I've seen pictures with people plugging circuit boards directly into the 24 pin on the motherboard. What is that?

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Last edited:

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017

Jaxel

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
Okay... now I'm completely confused. So what are ALL the items I need to buy to power this thing?

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Okay... now I'm completely confused. So what are ALL the items I need to buy to power this thing?

1) video card with a very short height [ referred to as ITX-size ] ,which is about 116mm or less.

2) this - https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-400w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html

3) and this - https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

4) contact @Josh | NFC ,to ask him to mod your setup, for a GX16 power cord, & to make special low profile GPU cabling.

Last edited:

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
you won't be able to do a brickless s4m with 1070 and HDPlex 400 ac dc

All the short 1070s (and 1080 and 1080ti) in the US are too tall. You won't be able to fit it in the case with the hdplex 400 ac dc, because it fits along the top of the video card.

There are one or two 1070s in Asia that should fit, but I'm not sure how available they are for importing to US/EU. I know Josh (S4M creator) is currently looking into getting one and seeing how it fits.

(inno3d is the brand that I hear should fit)

Last edited:

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Or you just make it easy for yourself a favor and buy a ghost S1 for example . And get better CPU cooling and room for 2 slot GPU cards and with a normal sfx or sfx-L PSU.
www.louqe.com
Just saying

Jaxel

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
What about a 1050ti?

Basically just working with video cards I have lying around.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
you won't be able to do a brickless s4m with 1070 and HDPlex 400 ac dc

All the short 1070s (and 1080 and 1080ti) in the US are too tall. You won't be able to fit it in the case with the hdplex 400 ac dc, because it fits along the top of the video card.

There are one or two 1070s in Asia that should fit, but I'm not sure how available they are for importing to US/EU. I know Josh (S4M creator) is currently looking into getting one and seeing how it fits.

(inno3d is the brand that I hear should fit)

Inno3d and galax have 1070's that fit stock with the hdplex 400w ac-dc, however the gigabyte 1070 and 1080 should also fit fine with the power brick if you're willing to file/dremel off 3 mm of the aluminum fins on one side of the hdplex so that it fits in the front of the mini. (see Josh's last stream)

Reactions: NateDawg72

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
What about a 1050ti?

Basically just working with video cards I have lying around.
Idk about 8770k, but 8400 and 1050ti can be comfortably brickless with hdplex 160 ac-dc and hdplex 160 dc-atx/dynamo mini since total system wattage is around 150ish.

And as alternative to hdplex 160 brick, you can get meanwell's UHP-200R-24 which is a 200W unit and fits in the S4M. But you do need to wire and solder it yourself, since it doesn't come with sockets and plugs.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Inno3d and galax have 1070's that fit stock with the hdplex 400w ac-dc, however the gigabyte 1070 and 1080 should also fit fine with the power brick if you're willing to file/dremel off 3 mm of the aluminum fins on one side of the hdplex so that it fits in the front of the mini. (see Josh's last stream)
The Inno3d and Galax cards are the ones I was referring to :) I apologize if saying they are available in asia wasn't accurate, I'm not familiar with the European gpu market

Modding to make it fit is cool, but when I comes to people asking what they need to build a mini I sincerely think it is best to clearly present the configurations that fit without breaking out tools and cutting/grinding/filing. For sure we can let them know how things can be done with some extra work of course, but many people just want to buy the parts and assemble and that's the feeling I had with this thread.

Not that I'm against modding - my PC is one big hack of a desktop lol

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Dear Jaxel,

I have a page on my website with different configurations you can check out.

https://nfc-systems.com/boms

As you see the only "ready to rock" with no mods option is the 1050ti build. This would work with the HDPLEX 400 DC as well. For other cards this is very much wild west territory and suitable for experienced builders, modders, and people who aren't afraid of electricity.

I have some experimental videos on brickless MINIs on my YouTube channel. I actually covered some of this on my last stream:

Firstly, always feel free to email me for help.

Secondly, here is what you need for a brickless build (today) for the least amount of modding:

Gunique is working on internal power solutions, and there are several options available now if you want to do some heavy PSU wiring--check out other user's brickless builds.

Good luck and stay tuned to my YouTube channel as we learn and progress on brickless MINI builds together.

Peace