Log Warhead Design Treasure (12600K, ECC RAM, a 4060, and 72TB Raw Storage in 19L)

reasons4reasons

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2017

CPU: Intel i5-12600K
Motherboard: Asrock Industrial IMB-X1314 W680
RAM: 2x32GB Kingston DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMM
Boot Drive: 32GB Intel Optane H10
Storage Drives: 6x12TB Seagate X16 in RAID Z1 (52TB usable)
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4060 Low Profile
Case: Nordic Design Treasure (Taobao Import)
Power Supply: Enhance ENP-7660B (600W)
Operating System: TrueNAS Scale, Windows 11 Gaming VM

This has been a really fun build. This is my Plex server, gaming PC, and hosts a backup of the files on my main NAS; I use MeshCommander firmware loader (RIP) as a psudo-IPMI. Started with an A2000 as the passthrough card but the 4060 low profile was too cool to pass up.

This is a great case. Total cost with import was about 250 USD and while I have some complaints (sheet metal is a bit flimsy) this is, imo, the perfect form-factor for a home server. I would love to see another manufacturer make something like this more available outside to Taobao.

Feel free to ask any questions! Really jazzed about this and happy to fill in any blanks for folks.

Edit: Someone elsewhere pointed out that Craft Computing did a video on this case and had a less rosy experience. I've had pretty good luck with my build, aside from not being able to coax the 3.5" drives into sleep when they aren't replicating. Some notes after watching his video:
  • I understand the appeal of the Eryang boards, but my slightly weird Asrock fits fine (plus, if you're using a full-size mATX board there's less "wasted space").
  • My board had 8 SATA ports, but I would just buy an LSI card. Maybe I'd be singing a different tune if my 4060 didn't have rear-facing power, though.
  • I started out with a flex unit, so I didn't have mismatched expectations there (why he didn't just buy a flex is beyond me; at $200 this is not exactly a value proposition).
  • I'd bet you the modular cables are causing the side bulge--flex ATX isn't designed for those and they do cause a meaningful increase in height. Looking at the tolerances in the case I would have told you it wouldn't support that PSU, and it wasn't like he was buying it without the case in hand.
    • There is a decent amount of room to stash extra cables--before the 4060 I was only using Molex, SATA, CPU, and 24-pin. Everything else fit underneath.
  • Notching the case to fit the rear fans is also not required? I have two fans installed as intended with front and back grills with no modifications.
Again, it's not perfect (my case is a bit bent), but it very much feels like he was on a deadline to get the video published and needed to get it built Right Then instead of taking the time to figure out how to work within the constraints.

(Some of this is the fault of the dropshippers--I think much of this is clearer on the Taobao page.)

Last edited: