Concept Want to make my own case - where do I start?

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 20, 2019
Hello everybody,

I am interested in making my own sff case. I already got a design in CAD, however I have no idea where I can "produce" this here in europe or germany. Do I just ask some 3d printing shop? I want it to be in aluminium however.. :( any ideas?

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
How detailed are your specs in cad? Do you know what materials you will be usin Like what screws, grade of aluminum, etc? Also is this a one off project, or are you trying to get into the business?

allison_Protocase

Chassis Packer
Protocase
Jul 2, 2015
www.protocase.com
Thanks @raystriker for mentioning Protocase. Sounds like you're well on your way, @futurewau.

If you need anything, our team is here to help - you can email info@protocase.com with your design and any questions you have. We stock several gauges of 5052 aluminum (full details here). And we ship worldwide :)

I think you should look at a service like Protocase.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks @raystriker for mentioning Protocase. Sounds like you're well on your way, @futurewau.

If you need anything, our team is here to help - you can email info@protocase.com with your design and any questions you have. We stock several gauges of 5052 aluminum (full details here). And we ship worldwide :)

I love to see industry reps active on this little forum!

Another good reference, @futurewau, is the STX.160 thread, which goes through sheet metal design step by step!
Even if you think you've got your design perfect, it's still a great future reference.

I've used protocase in the past, such as for my HTPC Micro project, and it turned out perfect, so I would highly recommend them to a newcomer!

Happy designing! :)

allison_Protocase

Chassis Packer
Protocase
Jul 2, 2015
www.protocase.com
I love to see industry reps active on this little forum!

Another good reference, @futurewau, is the STX.160 thread, which goes through sheet metal design step by step!
Even if you think you've got your design perfect, it's still a great future reference.

I've used protocase in the past, such as for my HTPC Micro project, and it turned out perfect, so I would highly recommend them to a newcomer!

Happy designing! :)

So happy to hear your project went well. Thanks for choosing to work with us on it!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
300USD is nothing when getting one of the mainstream premium SFF cases is already 200+USD

I might just do this then

Keep in mind that something larger could reach into the 500 dollar range.
I think the Orthrus prototype cost well over $2K!

TheArkratos

Caliper Novice
Mar 26, 2019
Keep in mind that something larger could reach into the 500 dollar range.
I think the Orthrus prototype cost well over $2K!

Understandable. Honestly I just need a spine with two radiator brackets. Probably 8 bends (4 of which are tabs). I'll probably model it up and see about getting a quote. It would seriously help a ton to have those pieces made out of metal instead of acrylic. Just need to look at the guides on their sight to get metal thickness and bend radius and stuff.

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Understandable. Honestly I just need a spine with two radiator brackets. Probably 8 bends (4 of which are tabs). I'll probably model it up and see about getting a quote. It would seriously help a ton to have those pieces made out of metal instead of acrylic. Just need to look at the guides on their sight to get metal thickness and bend radius and stuff.

Can't wait to see what you do!

TheArkratos

Caliper Novice
Mar 26, 2019
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but it would be cleaning up this prototype from acrylic and wood to metal, acrylic, and wood