Concept The Hack'ed in-tosh APU Build

Turnburglar

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 2, 2019
Its kinda funny, but the dimension that is hurting the height of the build the most is the MoBO offset. Currently I have it at 11 mm to make room for m.2. Then there is the case thickness. I’m thinking of making it 4 mm thick on the portion that holds the MoBO. So 4 + 11 = 15 mm of space that doesn’t do much.

I really feel I need the cooling performance too for OC’ing my 2400g. The ideal cooler would be a cryorig 47mm and swap fans for Noctua. I can’t even find the cryorig on amazon though.

Turnburglar

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 2, 2019
A small update:

I got the actual Mobo I am gonna use in the mail yesterday and took some measurements. It's actually smaller than I thought, with the highest point on the board being the VRM heat sink at 41 mm. The tallest part on the IO is only 37 mm. The M.2 drive underneath only protudes 5mm as well; meaning the 8.5 mm ATX spec will work. One dimension I am still unsure of is the actual case thickness? I want this to feel like a durable case and not be flimsy. I was thinking the base plate that the mobo attaches too should be 3.5-5 mm thick? The rest of the case in the 3.5 mm thickness?

I tried searching for the thickness of an xbox but got stuck on the cases that the games come in and not the actual system case.

What does the community think?

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018

Here is my latest revision that I made to fit the noctua line of coolers. For the L9a I could probably lower the shelf of the cooler vents, but at its current dimensions it will fit an L9a WITH the larger fan attached. Now I have the same idea (mac mini) but designed it for the most available cpu coolers fitting the SFF model. At the end of the day I might end up with the Noctua L9a because it seems to be the closest in form, and offers quiet computting with increased performance over the stealth cooler.

BTW I set my MOBO height to be 11mm from the bottom. Should allow me to run rear mounted M.2 slots, and even do some cable managment, or a good place to store a SSD PCB.
You've seen this yes? It seems you could use that as a starting point and mod as needed?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-PC-C...451768?hash=item468d7c69f8:g:zz4AAOSwXedcMskS