Video streaming platforms?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to streaming. All things considered I think the stream I did on YouTube for the eGPU dock case project went pretty smooth but one annoyance I had was the delay between me and chat.

It made it a bit difficult to respond to questions and feedback people had to what I was doing onscreen, so I was was wondering what all you guys would recommend? Twitch would be the obvious alternative but is there anything else out there now that has an emphasis on low delay between video and chat?

Also, any feedback on things I could do better for the next stream would be appreciated.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Why not run a second PC as a streaming box? I find myself wondering if the config you have in the STX 160.0 combined with an Avermedia card would make a tidy little streaming box.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That wouldn't help with the chat delay would it? And I'd rather have something self-contained.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ah, that's it! I had heard a while ago about a low-latency streaming service but then forgot which one it was since I previously wasn't into it.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, did some looking and I don't see anything better than Beam at the moment, plus it uses OBS (or at least a customized version of it) so that's what I'll try for the next stream.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Nice stream, but maybe start stream when ready.

I was ready on time, but there was only 1 watcher when I started so I waited a few minutes for more people show up. For future episodes though I don't think that'll be as much of a problem as more people are aware of the stream.

If you wish to, @Aibohphobia , you can also stream to multiple platforms using Restream.io.

I want to be able to interact with the people in chat though so that kinda defeats the purpose. I'll still upload archive footage to YouTube.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I was ready on time, but there was only 1 watcher when I started so I waited a few minutes for more people show up. For future episodes though I don't think that'll be as much of a problem as more people are aware of the stream.

I want to be able to interact with the people in chat though so that kinda defeats the purpose. I'll still upload archive footage to YouTube.
Oh, I thought there were technical difficulties. Sorry.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
No worries! And I ended up trimming down the archive footage to get rid of the blank space at the beginning.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, did some quick pre-testing for the test stream and it really is a sub 1-second delay. But the custom version of OBS required for that does not do recording.

So either you have to make sure the stream runs longer than 15 minutes so it gets saved as a VOD and download that (and you can only download the last video), or run a second instance of OBS (the normal version) for recording.

At least the video download isn't heavily compressed or anything, it looks just as good as the raw recording would have from what I can see.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz