Motherboard Strix X570-I + 5800X = Random Reboots

denereal visease

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
Anyone else experiencing random reboots with the Asus Strix 570-I motherboard and Ryzen 5000 CPUs?

My system has been randomly rebooting itself since swapping out my 3700X for a 5800X. The issue has been persistent across BIOS versions 2606, 2808, and now 3001. I had set the PPT Limit to 130W in BIOS but the issue was present beforehand. I've reverted the BIOS to optimized defaults after getting >10 reboots yesterday, including multiple back-to-back reboots. s frustrating as it's been (rebooting 3 times in <10 minutes while trying to watch streaming content last night), the system was somehow stable for a few hours of CyberPunk2077 yesterday. There does not seem to be any consistency with regards to what triggers a reboot.

Reboots have been triggered by...
  • Idling at desktop
  • Web Browsing
  • Watching streaming content (Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, etc.)
  • Turning on/off XBox Wireless Controller
  • Video chat
System specs/part list are here on PCPP. Really curious to know if anyone else is having similar issues and if they've been able to resolve them.

AchromaticYYC

Cable Smoosher
Nov 7, 2020
I had the same issue, I ended up
returning the parts and went back to Intel no issues since... I swapped out 2 motherboards 3 ram kits and 4 different m.2s 2 power supplies and 2 GPUs... never did figure it out.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Haven't experienced any reboots with 5900X. I would suggest checking system logs for anything of concern and booting from a USB drive then running a stress test to see if the problem could be related to OS installation.

AchromaticYYC

Cable Smoosher
Nov 7, 2020
Haven't experienced any reboots with 5900X. I would suggest checking system logs for anything of concern and booting from a USB drive then running a stress test to see if the problem could be related to OS installation.
On mine it would one have a kernel power error on reboot. Never any windows logs leading up to the reboot was very frustrating

denereal visease

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
Is there a particular benchmark or application you would recommend for stress testing the system as whole?

denereal visease

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
After reverting the BIOS to optimized defaults, activating the memory's DOCP profile, and setting FClock to 1900Mhz the system was stable all day yesterday.

I'm beginning to suspect I introduced the instability by utilizing the Curve Optimizer. There's a misalignment in the core numbering schemes between Ryzen Master (1 - 8) and BIOS (0 - 7). This created ripe conditions for excessive undervolting on the "best" cores.

I've reset the PPT Limit in BIOS to 130W and will see if the system remains stable all day today.

AIDA64 can stress pretty much all of the components at the same time.
Cheers, need to carve out some time for a dedicated day of tuning/testing to capitalize on the free trial.

Last edited: