Log Teebs' 5L Stream PC & Peripherals in a Carry on

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Hello Sff~

I'm working on a PC build right now to travel with & stream from.

This is going in a skyreach 4 mini, along with a built in monitor (inspiration from @seven7thirty30 ) and a primary monitor - plus all of the peripherals.
Everying will travel in foam inserts inside half of an away carry on suitcase (~20L out of 40L total, I travel with clothes too...)

Here is google sheet of the build list - complete with estimated TDP for power consuming hardware & peripherals - as well as MSRP of everything & the actual cost I paid for it.

I have almost everything in hand & loosely assembled - but I haven't been able to source an appropriate GPU (and waiting to pull the trigger on monitors until I am 100% of the GPU selection). I initally bought a 2060 mini to get this system running, but it was too tall for the PSU 😬

I need something that fits in a brickless build - sub 200mm, standard height (less than ~115mm-ish?) - as well as having a USB-C port (for the primary monitor - not negotiable) and a pair of Display ports (one for the case monitor, and one for VR Headset) & low TDP (sub 200w before undervolting is a must, ideally we're under 185w)

Currently the best possible GPU candidate I can find for this (on paper - sourcing things is a nightmare) is the Inno3D 2070 listed in the build guide, but i'm open to alternatives if anyone knows of any. more/less performance is fine, as long as it meets the size,power, and port demands. I'd love options.

I'll be scouring the used market & watching for new releases. I doubt there will be anything in the 6800/6800xt small enough/low enough power draw - I was heartbroken to see the 6700 xt line lose USB-C, but perhaps we will see a unicorn release from another manufacturer, or something on a 6700.

Thanks for stopping by - I'll be updating this with info & photos as the build continues to come together, and checking in for replies/ideas on GPU.

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
I think your power estimates are a bit to high for some components, while for the CPU it's to low:
5600X has a PPT of 88 Watts
A9x14 use max 1,32 Watt
X570 MB is below 10 Watt (video shows also some examples including SSD and memory)
1 module of DDR4 memory use between 3-5 Watt
SSD around 2 Watt

Good luck with your project :)

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks~

I had pulled the initial estimates from PC part picker, and knew some of them were too high, but I just pasted them in and was waiting to hardware check rather than look them all up. I went ahead and updated them to your figures though - I appreciate the reply <3

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Well - good news: tonight I managed to pick up a monitor, found a nice L bracket that will attach it to the peripheral tripod - as well as finish the CAD render for a first pass at the foam case inserts. its two layers, total size 20" x 13" x 4.5"
Just below 20L for not only a full gaming PC, but everything that goes with it.
Left insert is a 1.5" cut out over a 1/4" base, and the right insert is a 2.5" cutout over a 1/4" base.

Still on the prowl for a GPU, and I need to verify that the broken ipod i found in a box in our attic at spring cleaning is a) still around b) the right gen for the controller/find a different controller and c) the panel isnt broken under the glass.

I'm two pieces away from starting the physical build.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Subcribed, this sounds like it's going to be fun to watch come together. Good luck with the GPU hunt!

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Hi Teebs. Skyreach is a very small case in our SFF world - 5 Liter. One of the smallest. I would only get it if you plan to travel frequently, like every week or every 2 weeks.

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
I think your power estimates are a bit to high for some components, while for the CPU it's to low:
5600X has a PPT of 88 Watts
A9x14 use max 1,32 Watt
X570 MB is below 10 Watt (video shows also some examples including SSD and memory)
1 module of DDR4 memory use between 3-5 Watt
SSD around 2 Watt

Good luck with your project :)
One minor correction here, the 5600x has a 76W PPT. The Ryzen 5 3600 has an 88W PPT.

Reactions: Teebs and akisu

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Hey everyone,
Have been working away and patiently waiting for deliveries. I'm so excited every time I get to work on this project.

Current Status:

The system is currently up and running~!
Peripheral stick is working super well - I still need to get some proper USB cables (all the devices are removable type C) and wrap them together and do some proper cable management.

The PC itself is running off a 2060 that doesn't actually fit - side panel is off and the PSU is double sided taped to the top *for now*
The monitor, mouse, and keyboard are all placeholders for the time being.

Build Progress (Shipping):

I found & bought a GPU - managed to score a 2070 that fits the build.
I have a monitor on the way as well - This will also go on the peripheral stick with an L bracket.

Next Steps:

Still need to work on the ipad display mod
Watching for wireless keyboard & mouse stock.
Considering custom length/orientation USB C cables for peripherals, I'll need to research potential suppliers.
Foam inserts (need absolutely everything else in hand & build finished before fabricating this)

Thanks for following along, I'll update again when the current shipments arrive - thats gonna be an exciting one for me.

Reactions: dealda and Valantar

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
It's minor update time~!

The Ipad air 2 (9.7" 2048x1536) that I found is confirmed working - so I'll strip that and use the display for the case mod monitor. It has broken glass, but the screen works fine. Still trying to figure out if I will need to resurface it with something, or if I can just run it bare panel - wisdom/thoughts appreciated.

I found & bought a GPU - managed to score a 2070 that fits the build.
I have a monitor on the way as well - This will also go on the peripheral stick with an L bracket.

> New: Ipad display controller has shipped out from Japan.
> New: I have a flat display port cable on the way - this will run through the case to connect the ipad display controller internally.
> New: I ordered a sneaky monitor controller power option - this cable has a USB header on one side, and a single usb c cable on the other, which will run internally and is the power input for the ipad display controller.
> New: I found my mouse in stock - Glorious model O wireless at canada prices, so overpaid a bit, but I waited long enough that I don't think I could have done much better.

Next Steps:

All components for ipad display mod have been sourced, I need to work on physical logistics, plan bezel materials, and possibly something to go over the panel?
Watching for wireless keyboard (Keychron K3) - these sell out so fast.
Considering custom length/orientation USB C cables for peripherals, I'll need to research potential suppliers.
Foam inserts (need absolutely everything else in hand & build finished before fabricating this)

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Hello again~!

It's been quite a while since my last update, I had to move unexpectedly and that delayed everything substantially.
Thankfully it also gave lots of time for parts to arrive and I've got lots of progress to report.

Current Status:

The monitor, mouse, keyboard & 2070 have all arrived, which means the system and peripherals are all here and working together more or less as intended~!
Peripheral stick is pretty much perfectly as I imagined it - I love it. The footprint is so light, and it makes me really happy to see everything fit together.

The PC side panel is still off and the PSU is double sided taped to the top - even though I'm now running the 2070 that belongs in the pc, I need to do a bit of work to get it to fit properly - considering deshrouding it as well.

> I have a flat display port cable on the way - this will run through the case to connect the ipad display controller internally.
> I ordered a sneaky monitor controller power option - this cable has a USB header on one side, and a single usb c cable on the other, which will run internally and is the power input for the ipad display controller.

Next Steps:

GPU: I need a new low profile power riser for this card, since the pinout is inexplicably backwards from all other cards I have seen (and therefore opposite the power cable riser I had for the build) not a big deal, but I still can't close the lid until i get a new one.

GPU: I'm not sure how happy I am with the fans on this card (inno3d 2070 dual). possibly just a fan controller profile issue, but I might (probably will?) deshroud it and slot some noctua chromax fans on to the bracket that comes with the S4 - would replace the brown/beige CPU fan if I did this, haven't felt it was worth colormatching thus far, but ordering a 3rd fan if I had to buy two anyways would probably be irresistable.

Wifi antena - I plan to get some smaller wifi antenna with a lower profile. I'll probably just get the popular drone ones that people use since they are cheap and do more research if they dont work well.

Lots of cable management - I started sourcing specific length/orientation USB C cables for peripherals, I'll need to keep researching potential suppliers for the remaining cables I need. There are only 5 of them in total, so it has the potential to be super clean.

Ipad display mod - The abusemark ipad display controller from japan is here, but the cables both shipped out on 'slow from china' delivery schedules and unfortunately didn't arrive before i moved, so I may have to order them again. the monitor mod may be a ways out if I can't get them forwarded along.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar and dealda

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
ooof, i've hit a few error 41 shutdowns that i'm pretty sure are psu thermal related. I'll have to troubleshoot tomorrow, cause i'm too tired to deal with it atm.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
ooof, i've hit a few error 41 shutdowns that i'm pretty sure are psu thermal related. I'll have to troubleshoot tomorrow, cause i'm too tired to deal with it atm.
That's too bad, hope you can get it figured out. Is that with the PSU still mounted to the outside of the case? Otherwise I'm really enjoying seeing this build come together!

Reactions: Teebs

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
That's too bad, hope you can get it figured out. Is that with the PSU still mounted to the outside of the case? Otherwise I'm really enjoying seeing this build come together!
yes, the psu is still outside on the top of the case. so any thermal issues would likely be slightly/moderately amplified with the intended internal mounting location.
I'm going to email larry this weekend and see what we can come up with. I need to check that the fan profile is working properly/at all.

I think the likely solution (assuming its working properly atm and just overheating anyways) is a fanswap, but i need to make sure that the fan is coming on to begin with.

I'm also gonna pick up a dremel today and start to plan out the GPU backplate mod, the case monitor mod, and get ready to order all my noctua fans (two, three, even four? chromax black fans for this build) and any required mounting hardware.
The monitor cables arrived to my old address and are being forwarded to me, which is nice. Hopefully I can get everything done in the next week or two when they arrive.

Reactions: Valantar

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Have you tried undervolting Gpu and Cpu?

greetings

working on some profiles over the weekend. this has probably been put off for too long at this point.

thanks~ this is quite helpful. I ended up going with these ones from makerfire

The HDPlex needs the additional fan or somehow more cooling, if you use more than 300 Watt.
I've been looking at some noctua fan swaps if i need more cooling - going to run some diagnostics over the weekend and look at fan swaps/additions depending on how they go. Larry said I should first check that the included fan is working as intended, but I'll likely add an aditional fan as well.

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Alright, I got a GPU undervolt profile running that seems stable and is saving about 20W vs listed stock peak during stress test.

This feels like a pretty good outcome imo, as long as it stays stable in day to day use.
If anyone has thoughts/feedback on this profile pls let me know - I don't have a ton of experience with afterburner.

I'll try to run some CPU undervolting and see what I can save there, i know the 5600x has some decent potential, but i've not done any AMD undervolting before so I'll have to do some research & poke around in my bios tomorrow.

I noticed the PSU fans were definitely on during the stress test, but I'm not sure the HDPlex fan profile curve is aggressive enough to dissapate the heat its generating - or if the single fan can keep up with sustained load (as some people have been mentioning)
I think the potential 20W savings here are gonna help, and if I can shave a few off from CPU undervolting as well that should improve things too - but this really feels like its going to be a battle won on the cooling side of things - rather than on this end.

Reactions: dealda and Valantar