Power Supply Selecting a power connector (Lenovo, USB-C, etc.)

MaxStein

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Jan 14, 2023
In the process of planning a APU build with picoPSU and currently looking into the DC-power connectors capable of at least 90 W. Ideally with docking capabilities to keep the desk surface clean:

Barral Jack and KYCON KPPX-4P
Probably the goto for most people is the barrel jack. They go as high as 10A (120W@12V). PSU between 10-15A often uses the KYCON KPPX-4P.
Pro: Commonly available.
Cons: Trustworthy PSUs can be difficult to find on a budget and some barrel jacks are low quality which could end in an electrical fire.

USB-C PD
Allows up to 100W.
Pro: Docking capable. Futureproof, off-the-shelf devboard could be repurposed.
Cons: Expensive, "difficult" to buy trustworthy PSUs, not user-friendly (incompatibilities likely causing frustration).
opinion: Clusterfuck. Avoid.

Microsoft Surface connector
Best known for the Surface Tablets but the interesting option are from the Surface Book: upto 120W@15V
Pro: Docking capable, excellent magnetic connector.
Cons: 15V, requires custom breakout board, not sure if the pinout is public.
opinion: Interesting option if pinout is public. Could be my choice.

Apple iMac
Known from the 24" Apple iMacs.
Pro: Magnetic connector.
cons: Expensive, not sure if you can buy the connector as a replacement part in China.
opinion: Cost prohibitive.

Lenovo slim tip
Due to the popularity of Lenovo Laptops, you might already own them and as ThinkPads are business devices there is a steady stream of PSUs hitting the secondary market. Wattage can be as high as 230W while most PSUs are 65W or 95W.
Pro: Cheap, proven reliability and rigidity, docking capable (OneLink pinout known).
Cons: 20V, no of the shelf picoPSU monitoring the sense pins (required to prevent user error/overloading the PSU). OneLink is limited in its functionality (e.g. 1440p@60Hz limit).
opinion: Low cost but outdated docking option. At the moment my choice.

Did I forget an option or commercially available product?

Reactions: Phuncz

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Depends on the wattage but despite being kind of a crappy design, barrel is still the most universal and flexible. Which is useful since any dc power supply will either work into your port or with a common adapter. Some other ones are xt-30/60/90, and gx-16, and there's a 3-pin slim one I can't remember what it's called. All of those are better than the dc-barrel, but means you have to re-cable your dc power supply or build your own adapter.