Memory Very low profile DDR4 ram

K-philip

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 18, 2018
Hi.

So i was searching the web for very low profile DDR4 ram ticks, and all i come up with is ECC memory.

Is there anyone out there who makes them? Back in 2012 ish there were some from Samsung and others, but now its all ECC server ram?

2x8gb DDR4 DIMM?

Can anybody enlighten me ?

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Yes, there is unbuffered ("UDIMM" or "DIMM") ECC VLP which should work on consumer boards. If you try to get some ECC ram, make sure it is not Reg/Registered/RDIMM as those for sure won't work on consumer boards.

As Vlad502 said, Adata has non-ECC VLP dimms. They are only selling it in China and Adata does not have product info on this ram anywhere on their website.

I have 2x8gb 2666mhz on order as of yesterday, from tmall purchasing through Superbuy. They seem cheaper and with better shipping options than going through Aliexpress. Additionally I dislike how many of the aliexpress sellers are using DDR3 specifications (1.5v, CL9) in the product info for this DDR4 ram.
https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/buy?nTag=Home-search&url=https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=541745589790

@NinoPecorino kindly provided me with the link to where he purchased his. I haven't see anyone test this ram yet, but from what NinoPecorino shared with me the ICs appear to be Spectek (low bin Micron) and the 2666mhz kits are CL19.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Joybuy delivers the usual hysterically funny translation for that module https://www.joybuy.com/product/600003121.html the price is shit but look at that title. As an aside, there's https://www.joybuy.com/product/600193393.html as well for funny title:
Dalu (dareu) EK820 ultra-thin 68-key games backlit office mechanical keyboard wired Bluetooth dual-mode switch silver chocolate green axis Jedi survival chicken sharps

But yes, Superbuy is much better, I had great experience with them, too.

K-philip

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 18, 2018
Yes, there is unbuffered ("UDIMM" or "DIMM") ECC VLP which should work on consumer boards. If you try to get some ECC ram, make sure it is not Reg/Registered/RDIMM as those for sure won't work on consumer boards.

As Vlad502 said, Adata has non-ECC VLP dimms. They are only selling it in China and Adata does not have product info on this ram anywhere on their website.

I have 2x8gb 2666mhz on order as of yesterday, from tmall purchasing through Superbuy. They seem cheaper and with better shipping options than going through Aliexpress. Additionally I dislike how many of the aliexpress sellers are using DDR3 specifications (1.5v, CL9) in the product info for this DDR4 ram.
https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/buy?nTag=Home-search&url=https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=541745589790

@NinoPecorino kindly provided me with the link to where he purchased his. I haven't see anyone test this ram yet, but from what NinoPecorino shared with me the ICs appear to be Spectek (low bin Micron) and the 2666mhz kits are CL19.

Thx for answer and link.
What hardware specifikations are you implimenting this ram in?

When you recieve Them kindly review Them in this thread, so myself and others can benifit from your gains Or mistakes :)

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I will gladly share my experiences in this thread once I receive the ram :)

My hardware:
Asrock AM4 AB350 ITX
Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1080

What I'm planning to test:
  • Identify micron dies used
  • Test how tight timings it can handle at stock 2666mhz
  • Test at 2933mhz
  • Test at 3200mhz (if possible, I'm doubtful)
I have 2x8GB 3200mhz G.Skill to compare it against, which is Hynix at 16-18-18-38

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
@NateDawg72 as far as the dies being used, i pulled up some interesting things from this crappy picture i took:

if you take the laser mark on the dram(PS023) to this decoder, it yields the part number "SUU1G8Z11BD8SA". if we reference that off the product list here, we get a listing featuring the "093 TP" from our dram IC, except it's in the DDR4 2133 section. that might explain the cl19 timings. or they may be explained by the fact that the "SUU" prefix is for "SpecTek C-Grade" according this decoder or this pdf. also found some twitter posts about panram using the same ICs and mislabeling the base speed. i have my fingers crossed that this ram can be tinkered with to perform better, but i'm a little annoyed at being misled. i'm building on an h370 motherboard, so no messing with timings or speed. i can't wait to see how your testing goes.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
VLP DDR4!! I may have just ordered one too... In my defense, at NZ$125 shipped with the fastest option from AliExpress, it costs the same as the cheapest DDR4 8GB DIMMs here in NZ.

Edit: If I manage to sell my HP NAS, I may pick up a few more..lol

Last edited:

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I've been thinking it would be great to have a thread to compile information on VLP DDR4 and it looks like this is turning into it :D

I think the performance of ram is a bit of a sliding scale, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the chips on the 2666mhz sticks are the same stuff used on 2133/2400 sticks with looser timings. I thank that's a pretty standard practice with big brands like GSkill/Corsair/etc. If these Adata sticks turn out to be pretty poor, at least there should be some room for tweaking since they are 1.2v. I really think 2933mhz should be reasonable, but might need to crank the voltage up a bit. I'll be trying 1.35v and seeing what it can do

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Very nice find. These are the same DIMMs I covered in this thread and they perform exceptionally (lower grade Samsung B-Die). Unfortunately they seem to be marked up nearly twice the price that I paid for them when I got them directly from Innodisk a year ago.

i remember that thread! that was my inspiration to start looking for vlp ram. it opens up so many more cpu cooling options.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I know the benefits but I am not sure, are there coolers out there that can benefit from these?

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
I know the benefits but I am not sure, are there coolers out there that can benefit from these?

The Alpenfohn Black Ridge, which is not out yet but should be this year (hopefully), will support a 120mm fan underneath with VLP ram. It's the evolution of the DAN HSLP-48, and if it performs as people hope, would be the best air cooling solution for cases like the Sentry or Dan A4.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Superbuy received my ram and I've given them shipping instructions :) Should be ~8-12 days until I receive it since I went with economy shipping.

For those who might be curious about cost, it has been around $138 USD so far for me (cost, fees, handling, shipping)

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
The Alpenfohn Black Ridge, which is not out yet but should be this year (hopefully), will support a 120mm fan underneath with VLP ram. It's the evolution of the DAN HSLP-48, and if it performs as people hope, would be the best air cooling solution for cases like the Sentry or Dan A4.
I just realized, it looks like Noctual L12S with A12x25 is possible with these.