Velka 3 v.3 front I/O mod?

alucard_ua

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 26, 2024
Hi everyone!

I'm looking forward to building my own Velka3 rig. I just want to clarify a few things before I begin buying stuff.

Despite being a very practical and compact case, Velka3 has a serious downside, namely the complete absence of front I/O.

So, I was thinking of adding some sort of I/O extension ports (USB A, USB C, maybe a custom power button?) whatever I'll be able to find on the market.

My question is: is there any adequate room behind the front panel which will allow for accommodating some protruding ports and cables? At least half an inch of space, possibly down near the original power button?

Another thought I have, in case space is insufficient, is to opt for a smaller/custom/modular PSU to clear up some space below.

So, I'm asking people who opted for the Velka-supplied PSU:

1. How many unused lines do you have to justify a modular PSU instead?
2. How much excess cable length is there to justify custom-length cables?

Will any of the above mods allow for the installation of a front I/O panel?

Thanks in advance and cheers!

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I can't speak with direct experience on the Velka 3, but I can say that the Velka 5 does not have room behind the power button area for front I/O and I believe the Velka 3 to be similar in that regard. The only unused PSU cables I have with the ENP 7660B are the 2 daisy chained SATA connectors, but that doesn't really matter because the power button is in front of where the cables come out the PSU, so you have the full cable bundle right there regardless of what connectors are being used. I don't think a modular PSU is going to get you an appreciable amount of additional clearance by just being modular, what you would need would be a shorter PSU.

Again, these are my thoughts based on having a Velka 5, maybe someone with a Velka 3 could correct me or have better info.

Reactions: Arboreal

welp_im_damned

Efficiency Noob
Feb 21, 2024
Hi everyone!

I'm looking forward to building my own Velka3 rig. I just want to clarify a few things before I begin buying stuff.

Despite being a very practical and compact case, Velka3 has a serious downside, namely the complete absence of front I/O.

So, I was thinking of adding some sort of I/O extension ports (USB A, USB C, maybe a custom power button?) whatever I'll be able to find on the market.

My question is: is there any adequate room behind the front panel which will allow for accommodating some protruding ports and cables? At least half an inch of space, possibly down near the original power button?

Another thought I have, in case space is insufficient, is to opt for a smaller/custom/modular PSU to clear up some space below.

So, I'm asking people who opted for the Velka-supplied PSU:

1. How many unused lines do you have to justify a modular PSU instead?
2. How much excess cable length is there to justify custom-length cables?

Will any of the above mods allow for the installation of a front I/O panel?

Thanks in advance and cheers!
maybe instead of the velka 3 try the k39 v3. I have my build partly complete but there is enough room in the case for cable management.