GPU VEGA NANO

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Not entirely unexpected with the current power draws, but sad nonetheless. The theoretical benefits of HBM for consumer devices keep getting eroded every generation by GDDRx failing to stop in its own advancement. At equal performance per unit cost (or even slightly less once the interposer is factored in) the volume and power benefits only materialise in cost-no-object SKUs. I wonder if AMD will continue pushing it with Navi, or change back to GDDR.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Well only time will tell....but look at those rumoured TDPs....yikes.
I would not use them in an sff case even there was a Vega nano.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Not entirely unexpected with the current power draws, but sad nonetheless. The theoretical benefits of HBM for consumer devices keep getting eroded every generation by GDDRx failing to stop in its own advancement. At equal performance per unit cost (or even slightly less once the interposer is factored in) the volume and power benefits only materialise in cost-no-object SKUs. I wonder if AMD will continue pushing it with Navi, or change back to GDDR.
I'm sure they will at least keep it for the high end SKUs. At the very least, the more they work with it, the higher the yields they can expect to get. HMB being new has a lot of problems still to solve.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Well only time will tell....but look at those rumoured TDPs....yikes.
I would not use them in an sff case even there was a Vega nano.

Definitely looking at a traditional psu and a roomier enclosure if so. No Nano is a letdown either way.

Still interested pending pricing/availability. I plan on getting one early from somewhere with a good return policy. If it doesn't satisfy back it goes.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-rx-vega-freesync-vs-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-g-sync-coming-soon.1940447/

Still hoping for a RX Vega Nano for LZ7 Ryzen build...

But if no Nano version, then Ncase M1 Ryzen build with custom loop...

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Wasn't the Fury Nano less well received than the other models? Could be that's why they aren't doing it again. It was already a niche product that wasn't likely to see much sales anyway.

Still, It would have been nice to see them have a shorter circuit board. We know they can do that with HBM as even the Fury was rather short, almost obviating the need for an ITX version in the first place. With a shorter circuit board they could make the blower fan bigger in the reference model and also allow cards with OEM or aftermarket coolers to be shorter.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
No leaks regarding any RX Vega Nano action (as of yet), but there is this:

From WCCFTech via Guru3D via NewEgg...?!?
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Air: $499
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Air Limited Edition: $549
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid : $599
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid Limited Edition : $699
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 : $399
If we can see ACTUAL performance measurements; with RX Vega 56 between GTX 1070 & GTX 1080, and RX Vega 64 between GTX 1080 & GTX 1080TI; then I would be happy...

Now, if we can get RX Vega 54 at GTX 1080 & RX Vega 64 at GTX 1080Ti levels, that would be extra special (and help offset the pain of the power requirements)...

The next week should be interesting...!

Reactions: Acalanata

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
While enroute to the impending Capsaicin event in Los Angeles, SFF Network staff member Drew Duncan managed to find himself in line behind an AMD executive (identifiable from his ‘red cord’ badge), who had an interesting item on his person.

While navigating through event security, this (unnamed) employee pulled out this delightful piece of hardware, in order to push it through the scanner. Fortunately enough, Drew had just enough time to snap this photo before the gentleman whisked himself away:

Read more here!

Moravid

Cable Smoosher
Jun 4, 2017
Not seeing it...the OG Nano was a successful card because it was slightly slower than the flagship Fury X and (stock) 980Ti at 4k while being significantly more power efficient, this time around VEGA is competing with mid-range GTX 1080 while consuming so much more power, that would mean Nano would be somewhere in the ball park of GTX 1070 ± 5% while consuming more , it is simply non-competitive with pascal.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
... VEGA is competing with mid-range GTX 1080...

Hmm a 1080 isnt mid-range. Its still a high end card just like the 1080 ti. Mid-range is the 1060 and 1070 and low end is the 1050 ti and lower. Price is what is used to determine the range of a card, not performance. I know that sounds weird, but its how we have always classified cards. Anything less than $200 is low range, between $200-$400 is mid range, and anything $400+ is high range or high end for consumers.

Other than that I agree. While im hopeful the new Vega Nano will be on par with a 1080 at a lower price point, I am not going to be that optimistic. A big issue now is that there are now 1080 ti mITX variants that fit in SFF cases. When the nano launched the best you could get was a 970 and with the nano being more powerful it was a clear winner for the SFF crowd.

edit -- Anyone know if they are streaming the event tonight or if a VOD will be available later?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Fingers crossed they have all the IO on one slot so we can get a single slot WC setup out of the box!
Got reminded of the guy who had 4 R9 Nanos and a custom EK water inlet. Wonder if anyone's going to do the same for this card

EDIT: holy crap I think you guys must be the first to actually photograph a Vega Nano. Other sites are quoting that photo and even Google Images haven't picked it up yet

Last edited: