GPU VEGA NANO

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
It will obviously be a cut down version of the Vega chip. Lower clocks, etc. Otherwise they will never meet a 150W TDP. From what I've seen so far, Vega's architecture (and possibly manufacturing process) seems like a fail when it comes to performance/power consumption scaling. It seems AMD reached the exponential increase on this curve way too early. 14nm, new achitecure, and new record in power consumption. Hm.

However, big thanks to AMD for doing another Nano card. Nvidia doesn't seem to want to use HBM memory at all.

Reactions: EdZ and AleksandarK

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
For good reason I think. Yields for HBM2 are lower than what's already established the last I read, and I'd guess Nvidia didn't want to cripple stock numbers for consumer cards with something that's hard to come by.

Perhaps the GDDR5x and GDDR6 memory makers (Micron) don't want to let go, as well. Let's just hope HBM becomes mainstream and cheap from now on.

Mar 6, 2017
MRW Vega Nano confirmed

It's just a physical mock-up and not an actual RX Nano card. Chris said they are still working through the configuration of the GPU chip, they are designing for a 150W power envelope between the GPU and memory.

I wonder if we could persuade them to have a second connector on there and some kind of switch so that it only uses 150W for users with smaller PSUs, but can go up to maximum overdrive for users with beefier PSUs

the same guy is teasing/rumour-ing(?) an ASUS Vega x2 card.

I wonder if it'll be less than 250mm long :D

Reactions: AleksandarK

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
I really like AMD's jobs recently, so I built my system on Ryzen cpu. However, to dethrone Nvidia, AMD needs to study more I think, especially about our sff systems because although Vega cards seem promising, their power usages are so high compared to Nvidia Pascal gpus. For now, I'm happy and cool with Ryzen cpu and Nvidia gpu.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
If i had to guess, I'd say it will likely be around a 1070 in performance, so also around 1070 price. $399 USD.

From my understanding, they are going to bin all the really good GPU's to use in the nano, and thats how they are going to hit the lower TDP. So i bet its the same performance as the RX Vega 56.

Reactions: AleksandarK

HansWursT619

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2016
I want a waterblock and singleslot slot cover for this.
It looks incredibly short, for me they could have made it the same length of a ITX board.