Using 5" Cellphone Touch Display as PC interface?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

Basically wondering about the question in the subject line. Is it reasonably possible to use a small touch display as one of multiple monitors in a multi-display windows array with full functionality? Any feedback would be awesome. Cheers,

Kmpkt

Reactions: Biowarejak

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I'm currently using a 7" usb screen as my 4th monitor. I imagine with the right controller this would be an easy thing. IIRC @craigbru used a small LCD in a casemod, not sure if it was touchscreen though.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Awesome idea. I was thinking I'd have to rig everything up custom, but there are actually some really nice little ones on Adafruit which fit the bill. Thanks J.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
I'm currently using a 7" usb screen as my 4th monitor. I imagine with the right controller this would be an easy thing. IIRC @craigbru used a small LCD in a casemod, not sure if it was touchscreen though.

Cool thread. What 7" screen are you using via USB? That form factor is perfect for my workflow.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I've been looking into this, too. My application is a little different, as it will basically be a digital signage display, but it uses a 5" screen, too (not touchscreen, though). I've seen some options from Adafruit, but they are only 800 x 480 resolution LCD's and display drivers, and I'd like a higher resolution 1080p AMOLED screen, if possible.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Cool thread. What 7" screen are you using via USB? That form factor is perfect for my workflow.

It's a Mimo 710US - an 840*400 screen that I picked up for free as part of a pile of IT stuff from work.

Reactions: bledha

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
There are a lot of screens on Panelook.com and around the 5" size there are a pile of 1920x1080 displays. My only question is how do you rig them up to work as an external display for windows at 1080p.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
You'd need a controller board, and possibly a USB to VGA/DVI adapter (very cheap used, i can attest to the HP one)

Reactions: Biowarejak

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
I've used a few iPad displays for monitors, but I only ever went for just the display. I haven't even thought about setting up the digitizer for a touch interface ( because I didn't need / want it ). I imagine it would be possible, as I've done similar projects using them, though with more purpose built displays and not something cannibalized together.

Easy enough to do the display. The touch I can't say much for.

Reactions: Curiosity

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
@||| Does it have to be 5"?
If you can go to 7.9" abusemark sells adapters for the iPad Mini displays.

Looking around I found this place, which might be useful for someone if they sell direct.

Last edited: