Log I'm back again, this time portable desktop/laptopesque

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hi all, so following my last portable build which ended up with me using a massive case, and then have a very basic laptop and use Parsec so I can game anywhere, I am again looking to build a portable-ish build.

The main aim is to have a computer I can pick up and move around the house/to friends etc, and has minimal cables that need to be plugged in. The main reason why I am considering this is because I have just gone from a Quest 2 VR headset to a Pico Neo 3 link, which can do wireless, however the picture is amazing if connected via display port, and has no compression artifacts etc, hence the reason to move it around. (Also partly due to boredom with current setup)

So I have two "cases" which I am currently contemplating using, they are metal boxes with dimensions:

Option 1: 435 x 305 x 51mm
or
Option 2: 435 x 356 x 76mm

Option 1: will effectively be 1U, with numerous 40mm fans on each side, a double slot GPU upto 30cm, a M-ITX motherboard, and either an HDPlex PSU, or a flex atx psu. I did make a case similar to this, but it wasn't wide enough to put 40mm fans each side, so I only had two 80mm fans I think, and the fans from the gpu pulling air in. That build was too hot for my use, it could have done with the cpu fan drawing air in as well.

Option 2: At 76mm deep, I can now use an SFX psu. I could fit five 60mm fans each side, or five 70mm fans if I can find any decent ones. I am hoping that this might be sufficient cooling, but am not completely convinced. I could fit a triple slot gpu up to around 320mm, and a mini itx motherboard. If I go this route, I wouldn't want to have any cutouts on the underside or on the top, and am hoping the air blowing in from one side of the case and out the other might move sufficient air. I would hope to utilise my current 3080, 10600k (synced all cores but not otherwise overclocked). If the fans aren't sufficient either side, then I would look to have a cutout above the gpu, and I would raise it so it is flush with the vent holes, and could put a cutout above the cpu cooler and get a cooler that goes flush with the vents, and also raise the height of the sfx psu and put cutouts on the panel. This would mean numerous vent holes all over the top, which again I'm not keen on.

This is my previous build:

The layout will be similar, although I will probably face the GPU up, and the two 80mm fans will be replaced by the PSU. I would also move away from the laptop style mounted monitor, and have an arm which is hinged at the back, and hinged again at the monitor end, so I could move the monitor with the correct angle, but it could be further forward. A bit like the upper section of this:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 70mm fan? or as high an airflow as possible 60mm? I usually go the Noctua route, but the rare 70mm (dodgy looking fans) I have found move significantly more air, which will be important if I want to keep the top panel without any cutouts, or as few as possible.

I have considered getting a decent laptop, but the performance of a mobile 3080 is much lower than a desktop 3080. If anyone knows of a laptop with desktop 3080 in let me know! :D

Thanks all

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
This is really cool and unique. Are you tied to the form factor of having the screen attached and hinged (vs. like, a portable monitor powered and fed signal via USB-c)?

Last edited:

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
This is really cool and unique. Are you tied to the form factor of having the screen attached and hinged (vs. like, a portable monitor powered and fed signal via USB-c)?
It would be easier if the monitor is fixed and hinged, as I want to be able to just pick it up as one. So the idea is that the monitor can be moved to lie flat, face down on top of the case and I'll have a handle or something on the rear of the case. I don't mind whether the monitor used hdmi/display port and has a power lead. I will probably pass the power cable into the case and use a Y connector with the sfx psu so there is just one power cable to plug in. If I do go USB c for power and image that would make it easier

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
For option 2), I would not think too much about 60 vs 70 mm fan diameter. Just get one that you can easily obtain (and preferably capable to run at low RPM to reduce noise)

I'm somehow more concerned about the location of the fans in relation with the overall layout. If I understand your explanation correctly, you're trying to create something like a wind tunnel, but it seems that the overall layout is a bit obstructive for it to work properly.

Many sandwich cases use this configuration (albeit in a different flow; bottom-up), but their hardware layout is not as obstructive (for example https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...al-280mm-radiators-cfd-optimized-design.11601)

I might be wrong though, so you may want to browse around to find more data.

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
For option 2), I would not think too much about 60 vs 70 mm fan diameter. Just get one that you can easily obtain (and preferably capable to run at low RPM to reduce noise)

I'm somehow more concerned about the location of the fans in relation with the overall layout. If I understand your explanation correctly, you're trying to create something like a wind tunnel, but it seems that the overall layout is a bit obstructive for it to work properly.

Many sandwich cases use this configuration (albeit in a different flow; bottom-up), but their hardware layout is not as obstructive (for example https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...al-280mm-radiators-cfd-optimized-design.11601)

I might be wrong though, so you may want to browse around to find more data.
Thanks, I see what you mean, in theory with a 2.5 slot gpu there should be a cm gap underneath and above the gpu the full length of the gpu, and then usually there are fins exposed on the gpu which would again allow air through. Also the clearance for the gpu is around 353mm,so with gpus shorter than this there will be space for air to flow at the end. I am concerned that the gpu fans pushing air out the side of the gpu could work against the fans on the case, and like you say maybe there is too much obstruction at the gpu side of the case

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
So I have created a mock up of the design, which I might just get quoted anyway. Still a couple of things to do, but getting there. Any thoughts/changes feel free to say :)

I think airflow from right to left is best, as most of the heat will be from the GPU, there is no point taking that hot air over the motherboard/PSU/CPU etc.

Main thing that is bugging me is there are very few options for where to put the power connector out the back of the case. I have done it just to the left of the IO cutout, but wish there was slightly more space to move it to the left. It look like there is loads of room, however that is not a very tall GPU. My own gpu is 140mm tall, and there is 141mm to that connector slot. I can't move the gpu any further to the left due to the connector part of the 16x riser. Should still be okay though.

Last edited:

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
So I have created a mock up of the design, which I might just get quoted anyway. Still a couple of things to do, but getting there. Any thoughts/changes feel free to say :)

I think airflow from right to left is best, as most of the heat will be from the GPU, there is no point taking that hot air over the motherboard/PSU/CPU etc.

Main thing that is bugging me is there are very few options for where to put the power connector out the back of the case. I have done it just to the left of the IO cutout, but wish there was slightly more space to move it to the left. It look like there is loads of room, however that is not a very tall GPU. My own gpu is 140mm tall, and there is 141mm to that connector slot. I can't move the gpu any further to the left due to the connector part of the 16x riser. Should still be okay though.

this looks like it would generate a lot of fan noise. As far as portability goes, It should work. I'm kinda interested in to know why you placed the PSU where it is. That seems like it would obstruct airflow to the GPU(assuming air is coming in from the right and out the left).

Have you thought of making the design a bit thicker to accommodate a built in monitor? that would save you the hassle of a cable for the video and power for the monitor you'll use.

you could also go the same route as Eblaztr did and vesa mount a monitor on the side panel and route the cables back into the case.