USB 3.1 gen 2 in the front panel ?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Hello,

Can anyone confirm or offer advise if this cable would fit in the Ncase's front panel (to replace one USB 3) so that I can have a gen 2 port instead ?
My motherboard has such an internal I/O header to support it, and I think having this instead of just another "normal" USB 3 makes more sense adds adds versatility.

Thanks in advance.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Hmmm... maybe if I mod it ? Meaning cut down the bolt mounts and also cut half/one of the oem usb 3s of the stock front panel ? Wondering if I should get one when the case arrives and see if i can make it fit.

teamet

Chassis Packer
Mar 17, 2018
Will the USB 3.1 for front panel on the Asus ROG Strix z370 ITX fit the front panel in the Ncase M1 ?

If yes, will it be operating at USB 3.0?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Will the USB 3.1 for front panel on the Asus ROG Strix z370 ITX fit the front panel in the Ncase M1 ?

If yes, will it be operating at USB 3.0?

If you're referring to the USB3.0 Gen 1 (which until recently everyone was calling just USB 3.0) then yes, I have that board and have connected NcaseM1's front pane;s USB ports to the internal USB 3.0 header and it works fine.

However, what I would have liked to do, is to connect the USB3.0 Gen 2 header to the front panel and have 1xUSB 3.0 port and 1xUSB3.0 type C port.

Alas is not possible unless diving into heavy modding territory. Dreaming of a spare/accessory Ncase front panel to be offered that would allow just that. :cool:

visuar

Caliper Novice
Apr 12, 2018
Dreaming of a spare/accessory Ncase front panel to be offered that would allow just that. :cool:

Same. My case is about to arrive and would love to have clean looking USB 3.1 gen 2 support with type A and C connectors. Any chance this will happen as an upgrade in the future?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I'm not super keen on it so long as there's only two motherboards on the market that have the header to support front panel Type C. Hopefully we'll see some new ones at Computex.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Unfortunately, from what I've seen of the boards shown at Computex, the Type C front panel header is not being widely adopted. Poring through pictures, I saw maybe one ATX board that had one. Not sure what the hold up is, whether it's a supply issue or what. People want front panel Type C, but it does no good to put it on the case if the motherboards don't support it.

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I think one issue may be that gen 2 isn't supported natively by any chipset yet, so in order to implement they have to use a 3rd party controller. I think once it's part of the chipset, we should see adoption improve.

visuar

Caliper Novice
Apr 12, 2018
That makes sense. I haven't checked yet, but would there be an easy way to mount a cable with bracket to the back of the M1 in these cases to pipe out gen2?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Easiest would probably be to use the third expansion slot.

Edit:

Amazon link

Last edited: