Other Adding a USB 3.1 gen 2 port thru m.2 slot [Q]

CubeBucket

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2017
Hey people! I was wondering if is possible to add a USB 3.1 gen 2 port using an empty m.2 slot, since I already have two sata SSDs.

Please note that the slot is placed under the motherboard, so I don't have plenty of room. I would also need an extension cable to position the port in an easily reachable spot out of the case.

maeslin

Efficiency Noob
New User
Apr 14, 2018
Hey people! I was wondering if is possible to add a USB 3.1 gen 2 port using an empty m.2 slot, since I already have two sata SSDs.

Please note that the slot is placed under the motherboard, so I don't have plenty of room. I would also need an extension cable to position the port in an easily reachable spot out of the case.

Depending on how much room you have, an easy way out might be to get a m.2 to pcie x4 cable (something like a bplus r42s*) and use a pcie usb 3.1 gen2 card.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Hmm - nothing I can find on the interwebs (only M.2 to Gen 1), maybe a challenge for @SilverStone to take up, since they seem to be the ones innovating in the M.2/NVMe accessory space at the moment!