Log Travel Case Mini-ITX SFF PCVR Gaming + AVI DIT Workstation

rohitbanerjee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
Greetings from Mumbai India,

In 2011, due to my work profile requiring frequent travels overseas, I begrudgingly moved away from desktops, and laptops were my only choice back then. After 4 corporate (Intel) laptops and 2 personal AMD laptops, with many repairs and upgrades, I'm at a decision point to consider portability versus upgradability, configurability, and repairability, for my next daily driver.

After many months of contemplation and internet research, I was enlightened to the SFF (Small Form Factor) concept. I still use SBCs like Raspberry Pi, but SFF with a desktop Mini-ITX was something I was exactly looking for.

So, by many backlinks, I found the SFF.N community, and I voraciously read through most of the relevant write-ups on my particular requirements. And today, I decided to start logging my process, right from planning and designing aspects to the final build and operations.

I'm currently in the process of selecting the right components and checking their compatibility and availability. I would like the community members to help me out with their advice and tips as well, before I commit to the purchasing of components.

Some of my initial design requirements are:
1. Must be as "flat" and small as reasonably possible using desktop grade components (bye-bye 1U server chasis)
2. Must be as reasonably light as possible, case preferably ≤1KG (check-in bags for most international flights are capped at 7KG)
3. Must not be water-cooled (liquids being prohibited for check-in bags, plus I'm too scared to have liquid spill on electronic items)
4. Must fit a low-profile professional grade GPU (RTX A2000, here I come)
5. Must run full AC ATX PSU inside the case (no bricks, or laptop charger extra)

I have seen several 5 Litre and 10 Litre builds, but each case or configuration had some or the other flaw in design or incompatibility with my requirements.

My build will be AMD, with a B650 compatible Mini-ITX motherboard. If you do have any recommendations, please do share them here. In the meanwhile, I will post some of the finalists for the components I have chosen so far.

Thank you.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Last edited:

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
I would go with an rtx4070 laptop. You'll get a lot more horsepower for the money, it'll last many many years, and it's a lot more portable than a 5L desktop that will need an external monitor & keyboard & carrying case. I travel a ton for my job too and a laptop is the appropriate tool in this situation (in my opinion).

Reactions: thewizzard1

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I travel a lot for work as well, landed on a Velka 5 and a Asus ROG Strix XG17AHP portable monitor. This easily fits in my carry on backpack that goes under the seat. No issues with weight or going through security. Any particular reason why you want to use the A2000? The 4070 smokes it and can still fit in a 5L case.

Reactions: AizenSousuke

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
I would go with an rtx4070 laptop. You'll get a lot more horsepower for the money, it'll last many many years, and it's a lot more portable than a 5L desktop that will need an external monitor & keyboard & carrying case. I travel a ton for my job too and a laptop is the appropriate tool in this situation (in my opinion).
I disagree. An RTX 4070 is equivalent to a desktop 4060. The cheapest RTX 4070 laptops are going for around $1100 on sale. There is no issue building the equivalent for $1100. Plus, gaming laptops are loud, hot, and can't be upgraded. I spent many years using gaming laptops and it's such a nice quality of life improvement using an SFF PC over a laptop. The only way I would consider a gaming laptop over a SFF PC is if I was only staying at location for a couple days at a time before traveling again.

rohitbanerjee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
The build will be strictly No-RGB, mostly matte black stealth look, as flat and small as possible, with as much generally-available components as possible, modding only when absolutely necessary, with option to convert into a suitcase PC (hence the Aluminium 6082 alloy angle extrusion "cage" option). As there may be overclocking involved, the case must be well-ventilated, with options for separate air intake and exhaust systems. Use of copper, in lieu of aluminium for heat sinks and heat spreaders will be preferred. Hence, the entire build must balance performance, low-volume footprint and optimal cooling principles, without going for liquid cooling. It must not be a dust trap, and must be sturdy for travel.

Since the RTX A2000 is expected to be modded quite a bit, pre-modded pre-owned versions used by miners would be preferred, as they are already battle-tested, cheaper compared to un-modded pre-owned that sell at higher rate that normal buyers usually buy, and since I don't want to open a brand-new shiny exspensive GPU, just to muck it up with modding. Pre-modded pre-owned RTX A2000 12GB it is.

COMPONENTS (parts options listed in descending order of choice)
Processor
✅ AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
❔ AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
❔ AMD Ryzen 9 7900X

CPU Cooler
⁉️ Cryorig C7G with NOCTUA NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap fan (height 32+14mm), but not sure about AM5 support or availability
✅ Thermalright AXP90-X47 Full Copper with NOCTUA NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap fan (height 32+14mm), for the flattest profile configuration (see below)
✅ Thermalright AXP90-X53 Full Copper with NOCTUA NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap fan (height 38+14mm), for the slightly tight and slightly flat profile configuration (see below)
✅ NOCTUA NH-L9x65 chromax.black (height 65mm), if LP GPU (RTX A2000) normally mounted on PCIe4.0x16 directly
✅ NOCTUA NH-L9a-AM5 chromax.black (height 37mm), for the flattest profile configuration (see below)
❔ NOCTUA NH-L12S (height 70mm) , if LP GPU (RTX A2000) normally mounted on PCIe4.0x16 directly, AND if RAM height is just 33mm (G.SKILL Flare S5)

Motherboard
✅ GIGABYTE B650I Aorus Ultra w/ PCIe 4.0x16 & PCIe 5.0x4 + 2X PCIe 4.0x4 (no GPU in mainstream market for PCIe5.0x16, great price point, reliable, 3X M.2 SSDs)
❔ ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WiFi w/ PCIe 5.0x16 & PCIe 5.0x4 (second best, somewhat pricey for PCIe5.0x16 future-proofing)
❔ GIGABYTE A620I AX w/ PCIe 4.0x16 & PCIe 4.0x4 (cheapest AM5 motherboard)
❔ ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi w/ PCIe 5.0x16 & PCIe 5.0x4, USB 4.0 (overkill and most expensive, HIVE is a negative for me)

Power Supply
✅ HDPLEX 500W GaN AIO ATX
❔ SilverStone FX600 600W FlexATX
❔ Enhance Flex ATX Modular 600W Black V3

RAM (DDR5)
✅ CORSAIR VENGEANCE 96GB (2x48GB) 5200MT/s CL38 Black Kit (35mm height)
❔ G.SKILL Flare X5 96GB (2x48GB) DDR5-5600 CL40-40-40-89 1.25V AMD EXPO Desktop Memory Kit Black (33mm height for NOCTUA NH-L12S)

Storage (M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe 4.0x4 & PCIe 5.0x4)
✅ CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB with Air Cooler PCIe 5.0x4 NVMe 2.0
✅ WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 4TB PCIe 4.0 x4

Graphics Card (GDDR6 PCIe 4.0x16)
✅ NVIDIA (Quatro) RTX A2000 12GB, with modifications*

Case
✅ Custom black anodized 6082 Aluminium alloy ~1.5mm angle extrusions cage, with Lowe's Hillman decorative sheet metal panels
✅ LZmod mini A24-V5 2.0 (5L) - not the flattest, not the best in airflow optimization, but fits other criteria, not sure about weight though
✅ Custom_MOD SLM2 5.7L - reasonably acceptable flat profile, good design, bit heavy (1.2 KG)
✅ NFC Skyreach 4 MINI R6 (5L) - almost right, but costly (almost double the price), wee bit heavy (1.13KG), can be modded to remove exterior shell for further weight reduction, and not available
❔ J-HACK Pure Mk2 (3.1L) - GPU faces down, causing inefficient airflow, front side blocked by PSU restricting air flow intake, not sure about weight
❔ Custom_MOD SLM1m 2.3L HDPlex edit., SL2 stl 3.4L rev.3, SLM1 3.9L LP edit., SLM1 4L - all <5L options won't fit 200mm long PSU
❌ Fractal Design Node 202 - too heavy (3.5KG) and not optimised for size or airflow
❌ LZmod mini DC-RLY V2 Black (2.7L) - bit small, won't fit 200mm long PSU, bit heavy (1.5KG)
❌ n3rdware Yocto (3.59L)- not metal (PETG), poor ventilation, GPU faces down, causing inefficient airflow
❌ Lazer3D HT5 Stealth V3.0 (5.3L) - not metal (acrylic), not optimal size
❌ Velkase Velka 3 rev 3.0 (3.99L) - bit heavy (1.4KG), sub-optimal positioning of GPU over CPU Cooler, won't fit 200mm long PSU
❌ SilverStone RVZ03 Black (14.6L) - too heavy (4.05KG), too big

CONFIGURATIONS (configuration options listed in descending order of choice)
✅ Flattest profile (30x20x4.5cm = 2700cm3 = 2.7L)
Height: 40mm (PSU) inclusive of ~35 mm (Motherboard I/O) and 37mm NOCTUA NH-L9a-AM5 CPU Cooler, and 35mm (unmodded 2-slot GPU laying in plane as Motherboard) + 5mm (extra tolerance space) = 45mm (just missed the 1U spec by few mm)
Length: 55mm (PSU) + 170mm (Motherboard) + 69mm (GPU laying in plane as Motherboard) + 6mm (extra space for riser folds, etc) = 300mm
Width: 200mm (PSU) inclusive of 170mm (Motherboard), and 168mm (GPU) = ~200mm

Slightly tight and slightly flat profile (28x20x5.5cm = 3080cm3 = 3.08L)
Height: 55mm (PSU) inclusive of ~35 mm (Motherboard I/O) and 32+14mm Cryorig C7G with NOCTUA NF-A9x14 fan, and 35mm (unmodded 2-slot GPU laying in plane as Motherboard) = 55mm (might work in some 1.5U server chassis)
Length: 40mm (PSU) + 170mm (Motherboard) + 69mm (GPU laying in plane as Motherboard) = 280mm

Tightest but somewhat flat profile (24.5x20x7cm = 3430cm3 = 3.43L)
Height: 69mm (GPU normally mounted on PCIe4.0x16 directly) inclusive of 65mm NOCTUA NH-L9x65 CPU Cooler, and 55mm (PSU) = ~70mm (just missed the 1.5U spec by few mm)
Length: 40mm (PSU) + 170mm (Motherboard) + 35mm (unmodded 2-slot GPU normally mounted on PCIe4.0x16 directly) = 245mm

Tightest but slightly taller low profile (24.5x20x7.5cm = 3675cm3 = 3.675L)
Height: 70+5mm (NOCTUA NH-L12S CPU Cooler + Motherboard blackplate height) inclusive of 69mm (GPU normally mounted on PCIe4.0x16 directly), and 55mm (PSU) = ~75mm
Length: 40mm (PSU) + 170mm (Motherboard) + 35mm (unmodded 2-slot GPU normally mounted on PCIe4.0x16 directly) = 245mm
Width: 200mm (PSU) inclusive of 170mm (Motherboard) and 168mm (GPU) = ~200mm

Note: All 4 configurations assume best airflow positions, supporting:
  • unobstructed (except for Mother back I/O) front-to-back intake & exhaust airflow pathway, plus
  • options for top & bottom vents / intakes / exhausts, plus
  • one side panel dedicated exhaust airflow pathway for CPU Cooler, plus
  • option for other side panel, thermally padded to Motherboard backplate & GPU backplate, to be passive heatsink.
CUSTOMIZATIONS (*specifically for RTX A2000 12GB)
  • Removal of of 2-slot PCIe bracket or change to 1-slot
  • Anti-sag lift standoff or bracket
  • "Party in the back" fan to motherboard header mod
  • coolmygpu.com copper plate VRAM mod
  • JK&G's 5mOhm (R005) parallel sandwich resistor shunt mod or Schestex's 45mOhm parallel sandwich resistor shunt mod or @SFFMunkee 's dual parallel sandwich resistor shunt mod
  • @robbee 's n3rdware.com custom 450gm 100% pure copper heatsink
  • @REVOCCASES ' SpongeBob Copperpants Mod's copper back plate
  • @REVOCCASES ' A2000-X3 tripple fan mod w/ Silverstone 3X FTF 5010 black or NOCTUA 2X NF-A6x25 (35+12mm height clearance) or NOCTUA 2X NF-A8 chromax.black.swap (35+12mm height clearance)
  • Thermal Grizzly minus party thermal pads
  • Thermalright TFX high viscosity thermal paste
  • Matt black car paint / exhaust pipe paint

Last edited:

rohitbanerjee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
Laptops are meant to be power efficient, and can't draw too much power, and cannot handle heat very well. The thermal and power envelope is tightly coupled together, and doesn't have a lot of wiggle room for overclocking, etc.

Plus, upgradability and configurability are big no-no for most contemporary laptops, where everything is soldered in nowadays, and the frequent point of failure is the battery (now internal and soldered mostly). Without taking names, most laptop hardware vendors install anti-DIY-upgrade sensing mechanisms, that either bricks the machine completely, or sends telemetry to the vendor, allowing to justify charging a premium for any future repairs.

I do have a history with laptops, and I do appreciate their form and function. Heck, I even edited a 2K film segment on a far lesser laptop way back in 2006-2007. The current laptop that I'm typing this post from, is a 9.5 year old AMD, with 2GB discrete GPU, which I upgraded to 16GB of system RAM and 512 GB 2.5" SSD main drive, which still runs fine but chokes every now and then. But, laptops eventually run into obsolescence much faster than desktops.

As my work requirements involve video editing and 3D visualization as well, I checked the specs of the latest laptops that would enable those profiles, and boy are they expensive. I figured that I would get a better SFF Mini-ITX Desktop for lesser price, that too not being locked by the hardware vendor. Win Win!

Last edited:

rohitbanerjee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
I travel a lot for work as well, landed on a Velka 5 and a Asus ROG Strix XG17AHP portable monitor. This easily fits in my carry on backpack that goes under the seat. No issues with weight or going through security. Any particular reason why you want to use the A2000? The 4070 smokes it and can still fit in a 5L case.
The A2000 is better suited for real-time 3D visualization and simulations, something that gaming GPUs can't do (at least not very well). The A2000 is not a gaming beast, but it will still run games just enough to be casually enjoyed, and I ain't a competitive professional gamer. So A2000 12GB is more than sufficient for me. Plus, the small form factor of A2000 allows me go lower than the 5L footprint.

Last edited:

rohitbanerjee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
Welcome on board ! Do you have any constraints on PSU type (FLEX, HDPLEX, SFX, etc.) or just anything that do not require an external brick and is small enough will do ?

The first that come to my mind is the A24-v5, if 1U/FLEX PSU is OK : https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256805342616690.html?gatewayAdapt=fra2glo4itemAdapt

ETAPRIME's 4060 LP PC is what triggered me, in the first place. I already was contemplating between buying a laptop or a mid-tower desktop. But when I saw that video ... A new SFF Multiverse opened up for me. All my research on SFF, is counting back to the exact upload date and time of that video.

Please check my potential specs and constraints in my above post:
The build will be strictly No-RGB, mostly matte black stealth look, as flat and small as possible, with as much generally-available components as possible, modding only when absolutely, with option to convert into a suitcase PC (hence the Aluminium 6082 alloy angle extrusion "cage" option). As there may be overclocking involved, the case must be well-ventilated, with options for separate air intake and exhaust systems. Use of copper, in lieu of aluminium for heat sinks and heat spreaders will be preferred. Hence, the entire build must balance performance, low-volume footprint and optimal cooling principles, without going for liquid cooling. It must not be a dust trap, and must be sturdy for travel.

Since the RTX A2000 is expected to be modded quite a bit, pre-modded pre-owned versions used by miners would be preferred, as they are already battle-tested, cheaper compared to un-modded pre-owned that sell at higher rate that normal buyers usually buy, and since I don't want to open a brand-new shiny exspensive GPU, just to muck it up with modding. Pre-modded pre-owned RTX A2000 12GB it is.

COMPONENTS (parts options listed in descending order of choice)
Processor
✅ AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
❔ AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D
❔ AMD Ryzen 9 7900X

CPU Cooler
⁉️ Cryorig C7G with NOCTUA NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap fan (height 32+14mm), but not sure about AM5 support or availability
✅ Thermalright AXP90-X47 Full Copper with NOCTUA NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap fan (height 32+14mm), for the flattest profile configuration (see below)
✅ Thermalright AXP90-X53 Full Copper with NOCTUA NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap fan (height 38+14mm), for the slightly tight and slightly flat profile configuration (see below)
✅ NOCTUA NH-L9x65 chromax.black (height 65mm), if LP GPU (RTX A2000) normally mounted on PCIe4.0x16 directly
✅ NOCTUA NH-L9a-AM5 chromax.black (height 37mm), for the flattest profile configuration (see below)
❔ NOCTUA NH-L12S (height 70mm) , if LP GPU (RTX A2000) normally mounted on PCIe4.0x16 directly, AND if RAM height is just 33mm (G.SKILL Flare S5)

Motherboard
✅ GIGABYTE B650I Aorus Ultra w/ PCIe 4.0x16 & PCIe 5.0x4 + 2X PCIe 4.0x4 (no GPU in mainstream market for PCIe5.0x16, great price point, reliable, 3X M.2 SSDs)
❔ ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WiFi w/ PCIe 5.0x16 & PCIe 5.0x4 (second best, somewhat pricey for PCIe5.0x16 future-proofing)
❔ GIGABYTE A620I AX w/ PCIe 4.0x16 & PCIe 4.0x4 (cheapest AM5 motherboard)
❔ ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi w/ PCIe 5.0x16 & PCIe 5.0x4, USB 4.0 (overkill and most expensive, HIVE is a negative for me)

Power Supply
✅ HDPLEX 500W GaN AIO ATX
❔ SilverStone FX600 600W FlexATX
❔ Enhance Flex ATX Modular 600W Black V3

RAM (DDR5)
✅ CORSAIR VENGEANCE 96GB (2x48GB) 5200MT/s CL38 Black Kit (35mm height)
❔ G.SKILL Flare X5 96GB (2x48GB) DDR5-5600 CL40-40-40-89 1.25V AMD EXPO Desktop Memory Kit Black (33mm height for NOCTUA NH-L12S)

Storage (M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe 4.0x4 & PCIe 5.0x4)
✅ CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB with Air Cooler PCIe 5.0x4 NVMe 2.0
✅ WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 4TB PCIe 4.0 x4

Graphics Card (GDDR6 PCIe 4.0x16)
✅ NVIDIA (Quatro) RTX A2000 12GB, with modifications*

Case
✅ Custom black anodized 6082 Aluminium alloy ~1.5mm angle extrusions cage, with Lowe's Hillman decorative sheet metal panels
✅ LZmod mini A24-V5 2.0 (5L) - not the flattest, not the best in airflow optimization, but fits other criteria, not sure about weight though
✅ Custom_MOD SLM2 5.7L - reasonably acceptable flat profile, good design, bit heavy (1.2 KG)
✅ NFC Skyreach 4 MINI R6 (5L) - almost right, but costly (almost double the price), wee bit heavy (1.13KG), can be modded to remove exterior shell for further weight reduction, and not available
❔ J-HACK Pure Mk2 (3.1L) - GPU faces down, causing inefficient airflow, front side blocked by PSU restricting air flow intake, not sure about weight
❔ Custom_MOD SLM1m 2.3L HDPlex edit., SL2 stl 3.4L rev.3, SLM1 3.9L LP edit., SLM1 4L - all <5L options won't fit 200mm long PSU
❌ Fractal Design Node 202 - too heavy (3.5KG) and not optimised for size or airflow
❌ LZmod mini DC-RLY V2 Black (2.7L) - bit small, won't fit 200mm long PSU, bit heavy (1.5KG)
❌ n3rdware Yocto (3.59L)- not metal (PETG), poor ventilation, GPU faces down, causing inefficient airflow
❌ Lazer3D HT5 Stealth V3.0 (5.3L) - not metal (acrylic), not optimal size
❌ Velkase Velka 3 rev 3.0 (3.99L) - bit heavy (1.4KG), sub-optimal positioning of GPU over CPU Cooler, won't fit 200mm long PSU
❌ SilverStone RVZ03 Black (14.6L) - too heavy (4.05KG), too big

CONFIGURATIONS (configuration options listed in descending order of choice)
✅ Flattest profile (30x20x4.5cm = 2700cm3 = 2.7L)
Height: 40mm (PSU) inclusive of ~35 mm (Motherboard I/O) and 37mm NOCTUA NH-L9a-AM5 CPU Cooler, and 35mm (unmodded 2-slot GPU laying in plane as Motherboard) + 5mm (extra tolerance space) = 45mm (just missed the 1U spec by few mm)
Length: 55mm (PSU) + 170mm (Motherboard) + 69mm (GPU laying in plane as Motherboard) + 6mm (extra space for riser folds, etc) = 300mm

Slightly tight and slightly flat profile (28x20x5.5cm = 3080cm3 = 3.08L)
Height: 55mm (PSU) inclusive of ~35 mm (Motherboard I/O) and 32+14mm Cryorig C7G with NOCTUA NF-A9x14 fan, and 35mm (unmodded 2-slot GPU laying in plane as Motherboard) = 55mm (might work in some 1.5U server chassis)
Length: 40mm (PSU) + 170mm (Motherboard) + 69mm (GPU laying in plane as Motherboard) = 280mm

Tightest but somewhat flat profile (24.5x20x7cm = 3430cm3 = 3.43L)
Height: 69mm (GPU normally mounted on PCIe4.0x16 directly) inclusive of 65mm NOCTUA NH-L9x65 CPU Cooler, and 55mm (PSU) = ~70mm (just missed the 1.5U spec by few mm)

Tightest but slightly taller low profile (24.5x20x7.5cm = 3675cm3 = 3.675L)
Height: 70+5mm (NOCTUA NH-L12S CPU Cooler + Motherboard blackplate height) inclusive of 69mm (GPU normally mounted on PCIe4.0x16 directly), and 55mm (PSU) = ~75mm
Width: 200mm (PSU) inclusive of 170mm (Motherboard) and 168mm (GPU) = ~200mm

Note: All 4 configurations assume best airflow positions, supporting:
  • unobstructed (except for Mother back I/O) front-to-back intake & exhaust airflow pathway, plus
  • options for top & bottom vents / intakes / exhausts, plus
  • one side panel dedicated exhaust airflow pathway for CPU Cooler, plus
  • option for other side panel, thermally padded to Motherboard backplate & GPU backplate, to be passive heatsink.
CUSTOMIZATIONS (*specifically for RTX A2000 12GB)
  • Removal of of 2-slot PCIe bracket or change to 1-slot
  • Anti-sag lift standoff or bracket
  • "Party in the back" fan to motherboard header mod
  • coolmygpu.com copper plate VRAM mod
  • JK&G's 5mOhm (R005) parallel sandwich resistor shunt mod or Schestex's 45mOhm parallel sandwich resistor shunt mod or @SFFMunkee 's dual parallel sandwich resistor shunt mod
  • @robbee 's n3rdware.com custom 450gm 100% pure copper heatsink
  • @REVOCCASES ' SpongeBob Copperpants Mod's copper back plate
  • @REVOCCASES ' A2000-X3 tripple fan mod w/ Silverstone 3X FTF 5010 black or NOCTUA 2X NF-A6x25 (35+12mm height clearance) or NOCTUA 2X NF-A8 chromax.black.swap (35+12mm height clearance)
  • Thermal Grizzly minus party thermal pads
  • Thermalright TFX high viscosity thermal paste
  • Matt black car paint / exhaust pipe paint

rohitbanerjee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
I just watched LTT upload a new video, for a suitcase laptop, using some of the components already listed in my build log. Linus uses the same motherboard I intend to use, with a 120W processor, almost like what I planned. Lack of proper ventilation and air-flow design is what caused so much heat in that case. I was actually surprised that he was surpriseed with the heat generated; with the exhaust for both the GPU and the CPU was directly under the keyboard tray, it's hardly even a rough guess!

But I was glad to see some of the components working, in the orientation I envisioned.

I'm waiting to hear from more SFF builders here, especially for the custom cage idea, using 6082 T6 angle extrusions. I really want to keep the build as flat and small as possible, and under 3 litres, with the total weight including the case being within 4-5KG🤞, even with the copper heat sinks.

Would 1.5mm structural alloy angle extrusions be sturdy enough, if reinforced with appropriate cross-beams?

Or should I resign to Custom_MOD SLM2 5.7L, or LZmod mini A24-V5 2.0, or NFC Skyreach 4 MINI R6 (if I ever get it), and try stripping their outer shells for weight reduction, and replace with something like Hillman's decorative sheet metal panels with PVC dust cover mesh?

rohitbanerjee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
Another design change, hopefully not that impactful ...

While reading up on the PC VR Headsets, HP Reverb G2 caught my attention, however it looks like it doesn't support the RTX A2000 (6GB or 12GB). But it does support the A4000 (16GB)!

While contemplating the changes in my earlier configurations and change volume, I stumbled another "variant", the RTX 4000 SFF Ada Generation (20GB). Ok, it's quite expensive at the moment, but is SFF, in fact the exact volume footprint of the A2000. I wonder if @REVOCCASES 's SpongeBob Copperpants Mod's copper back plate and A2000-X3 triple fan mod, along with @robbee 's custom pure copper heatsink mod and @SFFMunkee 's dual resistor shunt mod can be "easily" applied to the 4000 SFF as well, with obvious minor variations for the new board.

Currently, US Amazon site retails it around $1500, but I bet it would come down next year (hardly few days now). I would definitely consider it for ≤ $1000 mark.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I wonder if @REVOCCASES 's SpongeBob Copperpants Mod's copper back plate and A2000-X3 triple fan mod, along with @robbee 's custom pure copper heatsink mod and @SFFMunkee 's dual resistor shunt mod can be "easily" applied to the 4000 SFF as well

I can answer the first part: no, the pcb layout of the 4000 SFF card is very different from the A2000 and my heatsink will not fit. I have had way too little requests to justify purchasing a 1.5K card to adapt my heatsink to the 4000 SFF. If I had access to a reliable 3d model, I could make one. Or if someone is willing to lend me a card and doesn't mind loosing the warranty, I could sponsor a heatsink 😝

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
While reading up on the PC VR Headsets, HP Reverb G2 caught my attention, however it looks like it doesn't support the RTX A2000 (6GB or 12GB). But it does support the A4000 (16GB)!
I'm surprised as the requirements are as follow :

• Processor: Intel Core i5, i7, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5, equivalent or better. AMD Ryzen 5 equivalent or better
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM or more (For most VR games we recommend a minimum of 16 RAM)
  • Video out: DisplayPort 1.3
  • USB ports: 1x USB 3.0 Type C
  • Power: USB Type C with power supply or supplied power adapter
  • Operating system: Windows 10 May 2019 update or later
  • Graphics: DX12 capable graphics

Graphics Cards running HP Reverb G2 at full resolution:

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER, NVIDIA GeForce 2080 Ti
  • AMD Radeon RX 5700, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, AMD Radeon 7

Graphics Cards running the HP Reverb G2 at half resolution:

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660ti, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
  • AMD Radeon RX 580, AMD Radeon RX 5500XT, AMD Radeon RX 590, AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT, AMD Radeon RX Vegaon56, AMD Radeon

rohitbanerjee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
First, and most important components, acquired. More, on the way ...

rohitbanerjee

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
Motherboard and RAM finally arrive. Next step, I need to take physical measurements, head-room, spatial design, etc. and then order the power supply and CPU cooler!