Log Briefcase Sized MICRO Workstation/Server

Brian McGuigan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Sep 17, 2022
Hi Everyone,
I have in mind to build my own mITX case that would fit in a briefcase as a laptop - using the Thermaltake P3 as inspiration.
The Need
Well my Laptop just fell over, so I need to replace it. It was 14 years old, so didn't owe me much! I've had laptops ever since they first came out. (Yes I'm an old Bugger - 77 to be precise, with 56 years professional computer experience.) In all that time I never used one without plugging it in. So portability is the main requirement - batteries not needed. Since it will obviously be larger than a notebook, it gives me the opportunity to use a faster desktop processor with a better cooling system. If I could find a case that would give me hot-swap drive bays, then I could retire our equally venerable Server and with sufficient Memory I can use a VM inside the machine for my own use.
I don't use my machine for gaming - unless you count Solitaire. So graphics is not of primary importance. But I'd like to keep my options open. However, I can't see me using anything beyond a 1080 Monitor. It's used primarily for programming. My idea, is that if I use it when I go out, I won't take a Monitor. I'll RDC into it from my Tablet when I get there. The Tablet will be more than enough to surf the Net and keep me entertained whilst I'm 'on the go'. So it will have to have WiFi.
Solutions Considered
Quite honestly, I can't make up my mind whether to:
  • Buy a Mini PC, and forget about using it as a Server. (I'm using a VM inside my existing Server right now.)
  • Buy a SFF Case.
  • Make my own SFF Case.
I've had a very good look around at available SFF Cases. The best I've been able to come up with is a Lian-Li TU150, as that would enable me to suspend my hot-swap drive bays from the top of the case and has a handle for portability. I like the idea of being able to see in through the side of the case to see everything inside. So, I don't like dual chamber designs like the Dan A4-SFF. The case I like the most is the Thermaltake P3, but it is far too larger to be portable.
My Idea
The thought occured to me - could I design a case, that I like the look of, that would fit into my briefcase - like my laptop used to. The best I've been able to come up with is shown below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hza8by5huv9upa5/Briefcase Sized MICRO Server - Layout.jpg?dl=0

I would really appreciate thoughts and comments.

Reactions: gagarin61

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Check out a similar project I did about 5 years ago!

Brian McGuigan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Sep 17, 2022
That looks good. I'm planning mine fo 2024 - for when Ryzen 5 comes out.

Given the heat and power draw of a 7950, I'm making provision for a CPU Water Cooling Loop. SInce my original posting I've realised that an AIO, won't cut it. Their Tubes are just too long. If I need to shorten them, I might just as well go for a Custom Loop - if the cost doesn't put me off! I also want hot-swap drive bays, hold 3 x 2.5" SSDs in a RAID 5 Array, plus one for backup. I'm not planning to use a SFX PSU, nor even a FlexATX PSU, but two fanless HDPLEX 250W GaN ATX PSUs, in parallel, for a total TDP of 500W. That should all come to about 7 litres. (But I'm currently thinking a extending the base of the case so I can have a full-sized GPU ouside the case in the open air. That will make it slightly over 11 Litres, but it will still fit my briefcase..)

Appearance wise, imagine if you would a slimmed down Thermaltake Core P1 TG Mini ITX using a PCie extension cable, so everyting fits into a low-profile form factor. This is what it currently looks like:
Briefcase Sized MICRO Server
I've tried inserting the image into the text from my Dropbox account, but all I get is "Image cannot be loaded from pasted link". Anyone any idea why?

That outline sketch was done in Word 2021. I appreciate I need to 3D Model it. What package does everyone recommend? I'm afraid when I graduated in Mechanical Engineering in 1966, we were still on drawing boards, pencils and slide-rules.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Appearance wise, imagine if you would a slimmed down Thermaltake Core P1 TG Mini ITX using a PCie extension cable, so everyting fits into a low-profile form factor. This is what it currently looks like:
Briefcase Sized MICRO Server
I've tried inserting the image into the text from my Dropbox account, but all I get is "Image cannot be loaded from pasted link". Anyone any idea why?
Says "file deleted", so maybe you either didn't make it public, picked the wrong folder / file to share, or indeed accidently deleted it.

If you want to go .. a bit crazy, take a look what SGCustom did recently with a Corsair 5000D. It's directly in my line of thinking, as I've been pondering to do stuff like:

1. Pick a nice case that is big enough to fit a 240 or even 280 mm AIO / Semi-AIO (read: Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme Core 280) and all other required components comfortably

2. Grab a dremel / drill / hacksaw and chop it down to the best fitting size

3. Make everything look like as if it was an off-the-shelf case from the very begin ;)

4. Potential case candidates include: the Silverstone SG 11, the Sharkoon QB One or just a classic, cheap Micro-Tower (not too cheap, ie. not like the case horrors from the 90s)

On the other hand, already existing cases that'd be easier to come, with your suggested specs, would eg. be the Dan Case A4-h²o, which in theory should even fit a 280 mm radiator, the IQUNIX ZX-1 (water cooled version with 10.6L), potentially also the N1Evo (when its done) or maybe even the C4 (with 13.37L, but only 1.7kg of weight). But there are many more options, best to dig them up onself in the SFF Master List :)

cu, w0lf.