"Tooling" for top panel mount on custom case

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Hello!
If you've been following my efforts on SFF Forum lately, you might have heard of my PCC-01.x concept chassis. (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...-case-0-1-cc-001-lego.7946/page-2#post-105909)
It will hopefully look like a Mac Mini with more vents on the sides.
I kinda want to make a metal/aluminium version of the case so I can hopefully produce it later, and I'm stuck with one part of deciding tooling for the top panel.

Case description (tooling thought process):
Metal bottom panel with holes for rivets along 3 sides (the base will be a rounded square)
Then, have a strip of metal with tabs on the bottom, the tabs at the bottom having holes for rivets.
Next, bend the tabs 90 degrees to the rest of the strip, and then bend the rest of the strip to form the side walls.
Finally, rivet on the side strip.

The problem I have is that I can't figure out a method to easily and efficiently hold up the top panel without defacing the smooth exterior of the case and without being completely janky. My current idea is to use epoxy to attach 3D printed rectangles onto the sides and front of the case, which would hopefully be durable enough keep the top up. The problem with that plan is that aligning the pieces and keeping them in the right place will be somewhat difficult if I ever make more than one of these. So, do any wiser community members have ideas on how to affix the top panel? Thanks!

TL;DR:
The case I am currently designing looks similar to the Mac Mini. The parts I currently have planned assemble something looking like a metal tub:

I want the metal tub portion to retain perfect exterior looks with no rivets and such from a viewing angle when at a desk, and I need a way to attach the top cover without significant hassle and hopefully without glue. It needs to remove easily (magnets) and align effortlessly. It should be able to bear some weight (a few hundred grams at most).

If you can help me, that would be much appreciated. My mind is not large enough to properly handle thinking about tooling all day :p

Thanks!
-el01