Thinking about going DC-DC power. Good idea?

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
I am building my PC and I need to be reassured that DC-DC power will work out for me. I am weighing my options between an SFX PSU or DC-DC boards and it seems I can maybe go with DC-DC power, but it feels somewhat unfamiliar in a desktop PC. These are the parts I have:

• Kaby Lake G4620 2C/4T processor
  • 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4
  • Gigabyte GA-H110N
  • MSI GTX 750 Ti (low-profile)
  • Case: none
  • PSU: none
  • HDD: 2.5" 500GB Seagate Momentus

With these components what sort of power supply options do I have? I am looking for a case and power supply and the Silverstone ML06-E and 300W Bronze 80+ PSU are a familiar option, but can I go smaller? What do you guys think?

One option I am thinking about is a DC-DC plugin from Mini-Box and a Meanwell EPP-200 AC-DC board. I've never used either of these before, not sure if it would be a good choice. Open to your suggestions.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That combo is great if you are confident with wiring and handling of the Meanwell. If not, I would recommend the HDPlex 160W AC-DC to DC-DC combo.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
You plug your AC cable from the wall into the HDPLEX 160 AC-DC, then you plug in the 4 pin connector into the 4 pin connector of the HDPLEX DC-DC unit.

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
You plug your AC cable from the wall into the HDPLEX 160 AC-DC, then you plug in the 4 pin connector into the 4 pin connector of the HDPLEX DC-DC unit.

Ah, I see now! That's basically the Meanwell but it already has an enclosure and plug iconnectors? And it's only rated for 160W. I wonder how high it could go if there was airflow over the PSU components for cooling.

Btw, I'm curious if the HDPlex AC-DC would fit in the S4 Mini with a GPU? I imagine the back panel would have to be modified for the connector, but how about interior space?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Ah, I see now! That's basically the Meanwell but it already has an enclosure and plug iconnectors? And it's only rated for 160W. I wonder how high it could go if there was airflow over the PSU components for cooling.

Btw, I'm curious if the HDPlex AC-DC would fit in the S4 Mini with a GPU? I imagine the back panel would have to be modified for the connector, but how about interior space?

I think I should show you this excellent build:

https://smallformfactor.net/articles/feature/community-feature-kmpkts-orangulan

Reactions: janas19

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I just want to add in a couple points:

HDPLEX 160W AC-DC / 160W DC-DC
+ Actually technical support.
+ No need for any modding
- Slightly larger
- A lil' bit more expensive

Meanwell 200W AC-DC / 12V PSU
+ Modding is half the fun
+ Smaller footprint
+ Cheaper 12V Plugin DC Board
- No real technical support.
- More expensive if you don't have the tools already

I do think 12V builds should be the forward looking platform. However, HDPLEX does offer a very good solution for a ~160W build.

You can't go wrong with either builds!

Reactions: janas19

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Interesting, from your comment I presume the HDPlex is 12-19V and the Meanwell is 12V. I like how you note the distinction and advocate for 12V on the desktop (given current mobo standards). Thanks!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Interesting, from your comment I presume the HDPlex is 12-19V and the Meanwell is 12V. I like how you note the distinction and advocate for 12V on the desktop (given current mobo standards). Thanks!

No. The HDPLEX is 16-24V. This means it can be used with standard laptop bricks as they are usually 19V, provided they meet the power requirements.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Kind of a different idea but how about combine the HDPLEX DC unit with a Meanwell unit for AC. Meanwell's PSUs are also available in 24V which makes them compatible with the HDPLEX.