Power Supply Confused about the power information of this DC PSU (RGEEK 300w)

htorrisi

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2022
Hey,

---- PSU Question ----

So I purchased an RGEEK 300w DC PSU, from Aliexpress.

It's rated for 300w output. But the max input values don't match up. 12v @ 19a max. Which is equivalent to 228w. Am I looking at this the wrong way?
I'm a software developer by trade, I don't have enough experience when it comes to electricity, so I wouldn't know where to start googling to understand this.

If someone could shed some light, or point me in the right direction then it would be greatly appreciated.

---- Power Adapter Question -----

My estimated usage is about 220w. Here are the PC hardware components I am working with, https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MQT9Tn

From research, looks like the Dell DA-2 is my only option. Other more commonly used Alienware chargers are rated for 19v.
Is this my best option, or does someone know of anything better?

--- Sugar ----

Helping me helps make this LTT Xbox mod come to life 😁
Below is a photoshoot, but I have all the parts, stencils etc ready to go.
Just need to pick a power adapter, and confirm I can meet the power requirements with this PSU.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hey,

---- PSU Question ----

So I purchased an RGEEK 300w DC PSU, from Aliexpress.

It's rated for 300w output. But the max input values don't match up. 12v @ 19a max. Which is equivalent to 228w. Am I looking at this the wrong way?
I'm a software developer by trade, I don't have enough experience when it comes to electricity, so I wouldn't know where to start googling to understand this.

If someone could shed some light, or point me in the right direction then it would be greatly appreciated.

---- Power Adapter Question -----

My estimated usage is about 220w. Here are the PC hardware components I am working with, https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MQT9Tn

From research, looks like the Dell DA-2 is my only option. Other more commonly used Alienware chargers are rated for 19v.
Is this my best option, or does someone know of anything better?

--- Sugar ----

Helping me helps make this LTT Xbox mod come to life 😁
Below is a photoshoot, but I have all the parts, stencils etc ready to go.
Just need to pick a power adapter, and confirm I can meet the power requirements with this PSU.

Hi, welcome to the forum. As in any other forums, kindly spend a minute or two to read our forum's terms & conditions

I do own one of these 12v DC-ATX PSU (150 watt kit from Metalfish). RGeek was also a brand I considered.

My power requirement was low though, perhaps at around 80 watt max. Because I didn't believe the numbers, I decided to get extra headroom, thus the 150 watt kit.

Anw, I'm not a PSU expert, but as a precaution, take these numbers with a huge amount of salt.

Edit: If you don't mind exploring 19 volt PSUs, you can try HDPLEX.

htorrisi

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2022
Hi, welcome to the forum. As in any other forums, kindly spend a minute or two to read our forum's terms & conditions

I do own one of these 12v DC-ATX PSU (150 watt kit from Metalfish). RGeek was also a brand I considered.

My power requirement was low though, perhaps at around 80 watt max. Because I didn't believe the numbers, I decided to get extra headroom, thus the 150 watt kit.

Anw, I'm not a PSU expert, but as a precaution, take these numbers with a huge amount of salt.

Edit: If you don't mind exploring 19 volt PSUs, you can try HDPLEX.

Hey :)

Did I void any terms & conditions? Sorry, not sure what I said haha.

Yup, I'm kinda getting that about the HDPLEX. I also posted on LTT and it's clear I made the wrong choice. Just didn't want to spend that much money, oh well haha.

htorrisi

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2022
Hey :)

Did I void any terms & conditions? Sorry, not sure what I said haha.

Yup, I'm kinda getting that about the HDPLEX. I also posted on LTT and it's clear I made the wrong choice. Just didn't want to spend that much money, oh well haha.

I can always hold onto this one for the GameCube mod that I'm gonna do next. Nothing Lost :)

I kinda just threw spare parts I had on this one, and got stuck on high wattage.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
LOL no, you did nothing wrong. It's just that, we mods will always try to remind new forum members to read our T&C, that's all. It's especially important if you want to do buy & sell activities in the forum.

It's easier to get power adapter for 19v systems, but they're not without issue. Conversion from 19v to 12v generates heat. To alleviate this, some DC-ATX units will have quite a big heatsink attached. Depending on the case & motherboard layout, this may or may not fit.

Anw to be clear I didn't say you made the wrong choice. Let's see if more knowledgeable forum members can help. Perhaps @REVOCCASES or @tinyitx ?

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
hey and welcome to the forum @htorrisi

I haven't tested the RGeek unit you got but I used their "450W" DC ATX Plugin before. It should work fine for your use-case with 220W max. but I would not recommend to pull more out of it without modding the cables and connectors. They use pretty thin cables and the DC-input connectors are not really suitable for high wattage... 🔥

as for a 12V AC-DC adapter you could go for the Dell DA-2 (cheap and good availability) or e.g. the Mean Well GST280A12. Mean Well also makes some suitable PSUs if you want to put the unit inside of your case (check their RPS series). If you are comfortable with modding and soldering, you could also get a second hand 12VDC server PSU...

if you want to go down the 19VDC route and can't get a HDPLEX, there are some options on TaoBao (maybe they also sell on Aliexpress)

high wattage 19V AC-DC adapters are much easier to find compared to 12VDC and thanks to GaN we have seen a nice reduction in size of those adapters. Dell/Alienware offers a really good one with 230W, or if you are going to order something from TaoBao, you could check out this one:

Reactions: ignsvn and rfarmer

htorrisi

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2022
LOL no, you did nothing wrong. It's just that, we mods will always try to remind new forum members to read our T&C, that's all. It's especially important if you want to do buy & sell activities in the forum.

It's easier to get power adapter for 19v systems, but they're not without issue. Conversion from 19v to 12v generates heat. To alleviate this, some DC-ATX units will have quite a big heatsink attached. Depending on the case & motherboard layout, this may or may not fit.

Anw to be clear I didn't say you made the wrong choice. Let's see if more knowledgeable forum members can help. Perhaps @REVOCCASES or @tinyitx ?

Ok cheers. Ill be sure to check things before posting about any buy/sell.

Only sturdy DC-ATX I have come across is the HDPLEX. I don't really have options or know of any others that are available to my country (Australia).

Thanks for your help, I hope I can pick your brain with one more question :)

I was taking a look at the tech specs for HDPLEX and noticed it has power switch connectors, similar to the ones you would use on a motherboard.

My interpretation of this is I would route the chassis power switch through the PSU, then to the motherboard.
If this is the case, it would emply that the HDPLEX wont consume full power from the charger while off/standby.
Its also not clear on the shutdown process, looks like it would just disconnect power.

If you know anything on this matter, could you please confirm? 😊

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
RGeek have posted once here, I requested they advise their continous power rating of product, no response was provided. I have tested a 250W unit some years ago from them and, with continous load, it went kaput at just a little over 200W.

The ratings are a bit pie in the sky peak ratings for a few mS.

In short, if the price seems a bit to good to be true, it usually is

Reactions: ignsvn and htorrisi

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Ok cheers. Ill be sure to check things before posting about any buy/sell.

Only sturdy DC-ATX I have come across is the HDPLEX. I don't really have options or know of any others that are available to my country (Australia).

Thanks for your help, I hope I can pick your brain with one more question :)

I was taking a look at the tech specs for HDPLEX and noticed it has power switch connectors, similar to the ones you would use on a motherboard.

My interpretation of this is I would route the chassis power switch through the PSU, then to the motherboard.
If this is the case, it would emply that the HDPLEX wont consume full power from the charger while off/standby.
Its also not clear on the shutdown process, looks like it would just disconnect power.

If you know anything on this matter, could you please confirm? 😊

I now remember some other DC-ATX PSUs provider you can check:
  • J-Hack (@Thehack)
  • Guryhwa (G-Unique) but last time I heard, the waiting list is quite long.

Unfortunately I never own a HDPLEX so I cannot help. Perhaps try to check their website & contact HDPLEX team directly to ask about this.

Reactions: Phuncz