Power Supply DC-DC PSU max draw - too close for comfort?

Scrawl

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Hi all,

Long time lurker on these forums and finally have something to ask :)

I've been working on a custom enclosure on and off over the past year which is starting to take shape.

I need some help determining if a DC-DC power supply.

Here is the hardware planned (watts determined via online reviews)

- i7 8700K (not overclocked) / ~160W
- MSI 1070 Aero Mini / ~160W
- 1x 2.5" SSD / ~4W
- 1x 2.5" HDD / ~8W
- 4x 92mm fans / ~4W
- Motherboard / ~50W
- Total max power consumption - ~386 Watts

My understanding with the current crop of DC-DC PSU's (specifically the HDPlex 400 or G.Unique Archdemon), is they should handle the above hardware provided it's paired with a suitable AC-DC adaptor.

This is where it becomes murky for me. I'm not interested in double bricks or expensive/exotic options. This leaves one of Gary Hua's modded Dell bricks as the only real candidate. But 386W is getting awfully close to 400W and I'm not 100% sure if this will be an issue.

For those of you with more experience in these matters, am I better off sticking with a standard SFX power supply? I would like to use a DC-DC PSU as it simplifies cable management and reduces the overall case size, but not if it will potentially compromise system stability with the above specs.

Thanks!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Conservative numbers since those are all peak/max values. I'd personally run that on a Dell 330W brick myself. As far as > 400W bricks, you actually have two commercial options right now. One would be the Lulzbot 500W brick at 195 USD but it is huge (ie.non portable). The other is the Eurocom 780W which is like 375 USD but actually an amazing piece of machinery.