John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Time for a personal project.
A long time ago, I build a PC I called Think_micro. It was a little 2.8L scratchbuild that I never really finished.

After rolling ATX for too long (woops) It's time to go small again.

This build/mod will be using the Jonsbo C2 - https://smallformfactor.net/other/jonsbo-c2-sitting-in-the-middle

The motherboard (https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/motherboards/ecs-a960m-mv-m-dtx-or-is-it) and the cooler I intend to use:

(I may not run all 3 fans though!)

A view of some of the hardware in the case and you can see the major issue:

Time to make it fit.

Cooler in, roof off:

Ooh, it doesn't poke too far up

Front of the roof won't mount down flat (evidenced by the rear shown here sticking up)

This'll work. It also has the advantage of adding a vent to the top of the chassis, something it sorely needed.

That's all for now. I still need to:
-find/buy a GPU (GT210 that is currently in the case is insufficient)
-shorter SATA cables
-a SSD
-a DC-DC power supply (picopsu or another variant)
-window mod
-sleeve wires

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting project ! That Jonsbo will not be recognizable when you're done I'd reckon !

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Yes, via a flexible riser down to the bottom expansion slot :)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Don't you think you could fit an SFX PSU in there by removing its fan and ducting the CPU cooler airflow through it? Would make the complete product much more interesting. You could also trimm the CPU cooler at the top to make the top panel fit like it previously did.

Other than that, interesting project, will make sure to follow.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Not nearly enough room for a SFX psu even without the fan.

I like the way the top pops up- the case needs more ventilation with a 125w cpu and possibly a similar wattage gpu to come. I will however accentuate the gap with lighting- 3mm of room there. Perfect gap for some frosted acrylic :) I have a PSU option that is even more interesting than a modified sfx unit, watch this space

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
Nice idea with the vent at the top. I'm going try that with mine as well. This case really needs more ventilation.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It's easy, they even include the rubber spacers in the stock setup :p Just be careful not to strip the screw heads

LooseNeutral

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 3, 2015
You've had "Think Micro" long as I think I've known you man. I do believe you did name a project this a few years ago. Matters not. Good to see you build. I'll say it loud and I'll say it proud.. Confu was the first guy who ever welcomed me into the modding scene. got over the admiration of it all, sadly. But found so many friends in this scene because of an answer to a newbs questions. Confu was there for me. This is how you build. Trust. Oh we, had some bruhahas. So what, that's what friends do. When you really care, are a friend. Why I'm loving seeing my friend build, he's been pretty damn good at helping others with designs. helping when and where he could. YOu're a rare breed my friend, and I say FRIEND with pride and mean it. rare thing in this life these days. I value. never take advatage of. Build this shit John. Own it like the dreams you've had for years. I don't care how long it takes. more time I may have to call you friend befor I go away from here. Not planning on it anytime soon lol.

Reactions: confusis

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
Any updates?

I used thinner spacers so the rigidity isn't compromised too much.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Nice! No updates as yet - still decided on cooling and power supply solutions. Cooling being the major - 125w of CPU and 110W of GPU to vent!

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Nice! No updates as yet - still decided on cooling and power supply solutions. Cooling being the major - 125w of CPU and 110W of GPU to vent!

Dual block closed loop?

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It's an option, especially with the new Silverstone units. Depends on price though

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
I thought the purpose of this buildlog was to use the D15 for cpu cooling?

I think the only way to fit all that in there is to use a 250w-300w dc-dc power board, but those are expensive.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Even with the D15 I was struggling to keep everything cool - just not enough airflow without having ear-splitting fan noise.

I am regrouping with another chassis plan :)

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
Awww, I was looking forward to seeing what you could do with this case.
This case might only suitable for systems with no gpu.

Last thought, would the D15 fit if it was mounted horizontally?

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
possibly - although with AMD sockets i'm prevented from doing that

The case will be reused as a silent HTPC so there is a future for it :)

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I have new plans and this project will indeed be continued.. with a new direction.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

A short story:

A while back, a friend of mine was designing a crazy production spec SFF chassis. It never eventuated (due to many factors), and he handed over the prototype coolers to me.

Prototype coolers?
Yup. One for CPU and one for GPU. Water.

As you can see above, a dual 80mm Black Ice Micro v2 rad would fit nicely!
(I considered a single 140mm rad at the bottom of the chassis, but rad+fan = no room for GPU even with the cooling solution)

Reactions: jØrd