Concept Thin mITX office nettop with dedicated GPU

McSpain

Trash Compacter
Jun 8, 2018
46
54
Hi folks,
after I mentioned in the General channel already that I am working on a thin mITX project, I would like to present my current state of project development to you here.
The goal is to design a compact computer for daily browsing, office work and simple gaming applications that can be easily transported. You can see some renders of the first concepts below:



The components for the first iteration were:
  • MoBo: Gigabyte MDQ17AI
  • CPU: i5 7600
  • GPU: inno3D GTX 1050Ti single slot edition
  • PSU: PM301-13-2A
  • ODD, HDD, SSD etc.
Due to budgeting-reasons (the build is actually for my brother), I'm now optimising the build for a second iteration:
  • MoBo: ASRock H110TM
  • CPU: i3 7300T
  • GPU: MSI GT 1030 2G LP OC
  • PSU: HDPlex 160
  • ODD, HDD, SSD etc.
Stay tuned for updates :)
 
Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Nov 1, 2015
2,235
2,558
Looks nice. Is it going to be made of aluminum? I like how the PSU is all internal too.

I've made a similar case to fit a discrete GPU with thin mITX. Check my signature if you want ideas.
 

McSpain

Trash Compacter
Jun 8, 2018
46
54
Looks nice. Is it going to be made of aluminum? I like how the PSU is all internal too.
Yes, I have access to a small CNC mill through a club, I'm a member of. I'm planning to use EN AW 5754 H22 for an optimum of machining, anodizing, and bending. Since I don't have professional tools for bending, though, I'm reducing the strength of the front/bottom plate from 4mm to 2mm, but leave some features sticking out at 4mm.

For those of you wondering, where the ODD is:
I took inspiration from the murderbox 2 and hid it in one of the vertical slits in the front.
 

McSpain

Trash Compacter
Jun 8, 2018
46
54
Update time:



The volume of the case is now down to 3.8l
It would also support a full width gpu (not only low profile one as pictured), but there are not really any of these on the market ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've already done some experiments on metal bending and resorted to laser-cutting for higher precision of some parts.