Concept Amiga "Rendemption" Build/Keyboard Shape Build

586intelinetpc

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Hi, I want to do a very crazy stuff, so here we go:

My idea is to build a pc wich could be in size similar to a Comodore Amiga low end series (500,600,1200...) in other words, a PC wich contains the main board and stuff inside or in the shape of a keyboard, just like the old home computers of the 80's and early 90's. I plan to use a Thin Mini ITX board because is both small and thinner, also i cloud use a mix of laptop/desktop components, like a dedicated GPU. Mini ITX one's uses normal RAM modules wich are too high and some others that uses SODIMM but they are top mounted...

But there is a somewhat debate that I have and is if I really need to use the dedicated GPU, beacause I heard nowdays iGPU's do some decent performance, mostly on newer Intel generations, so please help me what to choose. I know that there's no need to have the ultimate hardware (excl. GPU) to build a decent machine so I have no problem of using old components. Sadly, I could not use AMD CPU's because Thin Mini ITX seems to be a format exclusive for Intel CPU's.

By the way this are the list of options of components that I want to use:

Combo 1:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BDkTP3

Combo 2:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nDJMw6

Combo 3:
Intel Core i3 3rd gen or 4th gen CPU
3rd gen or 4th gen Thin Mini ITX Mobo
Gigabyte Geforce GT 1030 GDDR5
8/12GB DDR3/L SODIMM RAM
160/256GB mSATA SSD
1TB 2,5' HDD
miniPCIe WIFI Card
Slim CD DRIVE

I also want to know If there will be a problem in the performance of the GPU because thoose mobos only come with one PCIe x4 connector. I only saw this one (https://b2b.gigabyte.com/Embedded-Computing/MSH61QI-rev-10#ov) that comes with the x16 one but seems is only OEM and is hard to get it.

I used 3D Builder (not the best program tho...) to see if everything could fit, and they somewhat did it. The dimensions will be 455mm W x 250mm D x 70mm H. I know it will be a challege to acomplish this because of the custom case, a keyboard that could fit it (custom of course), the power adapter and some parts would be somewhat expensive to get here where i live.

Finally, which power adapter I would need? Does I need that DELL 300W one or wich? Also what do you think about this really crazy idea, do you think it would be non-practical or it really worh the try? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advice!

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Unless you are wedded to Intel (your screen name hints at this), perhaps consider a AMD Ryzen APU.

586intelinetpc

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Unless you are wedded to Intel (your screen name hints at this), perhaps consider a AMD Ryzen APU.

The only reference to Intel in my user name is the 586, wich points to the original Pentium CPU...

Well like I said in the first post, I have not seen any Thin Mini ITX with Ryzen support, otherwise I will go for thoose.

That's a concept I've been working on for quite a long time, but I'm going with small SBC to reduce the size: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/project-keyputer-reborn.908/

I designed a chassis around it, but got g quote around 500€ to have it 3D printed.

Nonetheless, you have me very interested :thumb:

Thank you, yes I really don't know what to to with the case, I'm affraid that it would cost me that! Also did you finish it?

586intelinetpc

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Not finished, mostly because of a budget issue :D. It's not a priority project, but I'm a long time Amiga fan (bought an A2000 at the age of 9 with all my saved coins)

I hope you could finish it! Well I'm became an Amiga fan since I listened Guitar Slinger MOD in a YT video, I also have several other MOD's that I like to listen. Really got impressed of the capacities of that machine and that's why I want to give a homenage to the Amiga.

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
What about using an intel NUC? Skull canyon + cooler is keyboardesque in shape. They are pretty cheap on eBay at the minute with ram and ssd.

586intelinetpc

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
That, and... "intel" ;)

586=Intel Pentium
inteli=inteligent
net=internet
pc=personal computer

A username created with a user name generator long time ago ;). Also you could find me in pcpartpicker with the same user name.

What about using an intel NUC? Skull canyon + cooler is keyboardesque in shape. They are pretty cheap on eBay at the minute with ram and ssd.

I don't know... As you said I could find it cheap, but most NUC's have port on the front and in the back. Is not what I'm looking for.

Reactions: Engr62

586intelinetpc

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
They can still be rerouted to a side for example. A front USB can be used internally to connect the keyboard too.

Sorry for late reply...

That's not a bad idea, also I did found that is possible to convert a usb keyboard connection to a internal usb header connector to! :)

Just a question: have anyone seen similar mobos like this one (Acer Aspire L3600) but for newer genenations like 3rd or 4th ones? If you had please feel free to tell me, aslo where is possible to find it one.

Finally, I did dissasembled my usb keyboard (membrane type) and found that need at least 1cm of thickness. Is possible to reach less thickness with membrane ones or it's better to use a mechanical one to get that?

Again, if you have any suggestions to this proyect fell free to post a reply. Thank you!

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Sorry for late reply...

That's not a bad idea, also I did found that is possible to convert a usb keyboard connection to a internal usb header connector to! :)

Just a question: have anyone seen similar mobos like this one (Acer Aspire L3600) but for newer genenations like 3rd or 4th ones? If you had please feel free to tell me, aslo where is possible to find it one.

What kind of motherboard are you looking for ?

For instance, DFI has lots pf mini-ITX references :

http://www.dfi-itox.com/products/productList.php?id=100

586intelinetpc

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
They can still be rerouted to a side for example. A front USB can be used internally to connect the keyboard too.

You know, after thinking a little bit, I will take in count the mini-stx format instead of buying a NUC since is more cheaper.

That's a really great option to consider, but they are somewhat pricy ;), as some people had said in the proper discussion thread.

What kind of motherboard are you looking for ?

For instance, DFI has lots pf mini-ITX references :

http://www.dfi-itox.com/products/productList.php?id=100

What kind? A kind of motherboard that would fit in small cases or someting like that. I had saw some mobos from DFI but... Are they pricy since they are insdustrial mobos? Not a bad option tho :).

Forgot about it, but the Udoo Bolt is a great candidate:
Hope the KS campaign will be successful and the card gets released.

But definetly, I think this IS the one, the UDOO BOLT. Is cheaper than the sapphire ones, more smaller (120x120 mm), have HDMI Ports, have Ryzen with excelent gpu solution! and alot of features. Definetly the price really worth it. But how that KS campaing works? As I understand they have reach the $100.000 goal, so what do I need to have one of thoose cards (apart for the money)?

Also what about a ASRock mini-stx with AM4 socket for Ryzen board? Is real?

Last edited: