Motherboard Thin ITX Secondary Power Socket

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I can't find it....apologies for any repetition.

I am looking at adding a thin ITX setup to my collection, and may want to power it directly from vehicle 12v.
With the board I've chosen, (Gigabyte), it has the usual power socket for a brick and also a 2 pin white socket that looks like something from RC battery packs or cut down CPU power.
I know it's a standard fitting, but don't know what it's called. JST comes to mind, but I may be deluded.
I'd like to know what to look for, so I can order a plug or cable for it.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Good thinking J-H.

Example Gigabyte Thin ITX motherboard - theirs are almost all identical through the generations.

It's the white 2 pin socket (marked 19V) inboard of the usual DC IN socket for a laptop brick PSU

**EDIT** Got it in the Intel 2012 Thin Mini ITX Design Guide Rev 1.2 PDF....

P29 says: "Internal Power Input 19V internal power input connector: 1x2 shrouded with latch, 9[A] minimum current rating (part number reference: Molex* 5566-2, or equivalent) Mating plug reference part number: Molex 5557-02R, or equivalent"

Even shows the correct polarity!

Last edited:

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Can you not get a barrel connector and add a suitable plug for your car supply?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I can't find it....apologies for any repetition.

I am looking at adding a thin ITX setup to my collection, and may want to power it directly from vehicle 12v.
With the board I've chosen, (Gigabyte), it has the usual power socket for a brick and also a 2 pin white socket that looks like something from RC battery packs or cut down CPU power.
I know it's a standard fitting, but don't know what it's called. JST comes to mind, but I may be deluded.
I'd like to know what to look for, so I can order a plug or cable for it.

Are you thinking of a Tamiya connector?

XD

Yeah, it's molex mini-fir jr. 2-pin.

Just be sure to shut it off when you shut off the car, otherwise you'll kill the car battery!

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Can you not get a barrel connector and add a suitable plug for your car supply?

I'm sure I could chop up a chap brick if needs be. I was thinking of having 12v from the vehicle and the option of a brick via an inverter.

I partly blame you for getting interested in Thin ITX... :p

BTW, my ITX kit is very happy in your old NCase M1, with its painted shell :D

Are you thinking of a Tamiya connector?

XD

Yeah, it's molex mini-fir jr. 2-pin.

Just be sure to shut it off when you shut off the car, otherwise you'll kill the car battery!

Good call, that could be interesting! It'd be from a leisure battery not the starter battery.

Not going mad then, Tamiya makes sense as I had friends in my youth with RC cars...

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm sure I could chop up a chap brick if needs be. I was thinking of having 12v from the vehicle and the option of a brick via an inverter.

Good call, that could be interesting! It'd be from a leisure battery not the starter battery.

Not going mad then, Tamiya makes sense as I had friends in my youth with RC cars...

My other hobby is RC!

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018

Thin ITX and T chips are the way forward, smaller is better! I think RS will do the 2 pin jr (I ended up cutting a 4 pin one down for mine).

Just be aware that the barrel connector and 2 pin socket are electrically connected. I don't think you want to plug both in at the same time, you'd be crossing streams after all!

Have you got a build log up anywhere or some pics of the NCase?

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thin ITX and T chips are the way forward, smaller is better! I think RS will do the 2 pin jr (I ended up cutting a 4 pin one down for mine).

Just be aware that the barrel connector and 2 pin socket are electrically connected. I don't think you want to plug both in at the same time, you'd be crossing streams after all!

Have you got a build log up anywhere or some pics of the NCase?

Hmmm, maybe swappable barrel connectors would be better... I quite liked the option of being able to hardwire it.

I have been very lax about a build log and photos :mad:. I threw all the kit in from my SG 13 when the chassis came back from the paint shop and haven't revisited it. The 2 2.5" drives are not screwed in, just being cradled by the crazy SF600 ribbon cables in the case.
It's not good looking with the panels off; I've just set it up and left it like that, as there's too much PUBG action going on to strip and repack it right now.

Thin ITX is interesting, but have just enquired about the used Deskmini on the marketplace, as that is similarly attractive to me for the same reasons. I also have a s1151 Pentium ready to put in it...

Thin ITX would be better in some ways as the boards I looked at have mSATA and a PCIe 4x slot for lightweight GPU use.
Decisions decisions...