Motherboard Efficient thin mini ITX for DIY laptop/portable PC

THX1138

Case Bender
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
I was thinking about making a laptop/portable PC using a thin mini ITX mainboard running Windows 10. I would like to use the same keyboard/mouse and display with a Raspberry Pi which will be housed in the same case and I guess I might do that with a KVM switch. My main considerations are energy efficiency (it will be battery-powered) and upgradability. It would be nice to start with 8 GB RAM with the potential to add another 8 GB in a few years and it would also be nice to be able to upgrade the CPU. The most demanding thing I expect to want to do on the machine would be using Fusion 360 so some kind of integrated graphics should be fine.

I think I'd prefer to power the motherboard by a single DC voltage rather than the usual 26-pin connector (I know you can buy adapters). Would Windows be able to monitor the battery voltage to automatically hibernate when it gets low?

There seem to be more Intel options than AMD options but I think the AM4 socket is more future-proof, right? I would probably get a Zen 3 processor like two years after it came out (i.e. 2022 or something). I also like supporting the underdog. Edit: In lieu of AMD options, are there any Intel sockets that will still get CPUs released in the future which haven't had any massive security vulnerabilities reported recently?

I was thinking of salvaging an LCD from a broken laptop but I'm not sure whether it would be more viable to just buy a new one. I would also like onboard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0/BLE.

Does anyone have any input regarding what specific mainboards I should consider?

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Sadly, thin mini-ITX is an Intel thing (with a very few AMD exceptions in the past).

What are you planning to do with the RPi ? If all you need is a terminal, you can SSH to it (thus no need for the KVM).

THX1138

Case Bender
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
Sadly, thin mini-ITX is an Intel thing (with a very few AMD exceptions in the past).

What are you planning to do with the RPi ? If all you need is a terminal, you can SSH to it (thus no need for the KVM).

I would be able to use SSH for some stuff but I'm not proficient on a command line and some stuff I would be faster with a GUI. I could also use VNC but performance is a bit miserable compared to KVM (I already have a couple of Pis, one of which I use by KVM and the other by VNC). For the keyboard and mouse I might use a couple of 4PDT switches and HDMI switches are cheap. I'm not sure.