Motherboard thin itx supporting 7700k

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Does there exist a thin-itx or stx motherboard that can handle a 7700k?

As far as I know, the only one that can do this is the ASRock MicroSTX.

Also, do any motherboards of this form factor support more than 32gb of RAM?

I've searched everywhere.

The reason I'd like this for is... no cables. I can have a very empty case. Especially with thin-itx I could make the case very very thin, giving more room for external heatsinks. However it seems thin-itx supporting a k level cpu doesn't exist.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
off topic but the website in you sig has a bad cert

Reactions: Phryq

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Get a cert for the URL your using. The one you have was issued against *.ipage.com (* being a wildcard). lets Encrypt will issue free DV certs but you need to find a way to deal w/ renewal as their only valid for 3 months. Ultimately how you deal w/ certs will depend somewhat on how your hosting the site (or who your hosting it with).

On topic, the TDP cap for thin ITX is 65w, which iirc is also where its set for mSTX. My understanding is that whilst you can slam a higher rated TDP CPU in, you shouldn't. something about VRegs not being up to the task, I forget the specifics but google is likely full of people trying to answer the same question.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
The DC barrel connector is rated for 10A on Skylake Thin-Mini ITX boards, which means that a total 190W
consumption is possible.

As @j0rd already wrote, anything above 65W TDP is risky (especially for the board VRM which are going to get real hot).

Check @QinX Kogelmier build who pushed Thin Mini-ITX limits quite a bit !

Reactions: Phryq

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Ok, if it's making things hot, it's not worth it for me. My entire purpose is to try to make things as cool as possible, and ideally passively cool the thing. You see here, if the Ram weren't in the way, I could lower the entire lid an inch.

Mod edit: Removed broken image and iframe. Please don't use iframes to show images.

Last edited by a moderator: