News Thermaltake Engine 27 (production Coolchip kinetic cooler)

Thermaltake have finally announced the production heatsink to come out of their collaboration with Coolchip.

Unfortunately it's only rated for 70W TDP at 13-25 dBA, which doesn't compare favourably with the NH-L9i (95W, 23.6dB) unless you really need those extra 10mm (27mm height vs. 37mm with fan). We'll have to see how it works in practice though.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Ah yes, forgot to post this one. I'm glad that it's Thermaltake, they could use some innovative products to differentiate themselves. The NH-L9i is a tough cookie to crack iin low profile coolers, as I noticed how it managed to keep my overclocked G3258 cool where another larger heatsink just failed at default clocks and much higher fan speeds. I'm still hoping this tech proves beneficial for SFF builds, we need some fresh air in the air-cooling world.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Well it IS a cooler for 1U chassis @EdZ . :D I do understand what you mean though. I hope Thermaltake builds a larger one soon and improves the socket compatibility on this one.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Ah yes, it's finally coming out. Would really work well for thin mini ITX as there are not too many cooling options when you go within 1U height.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Yup. It needs to match the CNPS2x in the following:

1. Performance
2. Noise
3. Cost

And it needs to BEAT the CNPS2x in :

3. Shipping durability.

The CNPS2x is great but the fan can pop out during shipping. It doesn't pop out when hand carrying it or bumping it or even dropping it, but for some reason those UPS trucks have the perfect vibration frequencies....

My thoughts are that it could be a great heatsink because unlike the CNPS2x which requires a small amount of spacing for the fan to work properly (like all similar designed heatsinks) this cooler's turbine design might allow for even slimmer builds.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah mine must have had that happen. If I mount it with the cables up, it makes no noise. If I mount it cables down it starts bouncing off the heatsink making a terrible noise. Honestly their fan fixation solution on the CNPS2x is attrocious. Two flimsy clips into receptacles on the heatsink that are much too large. Shame really.

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
imagine installing this with matching white led in the center. Ironman pc?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've emailed Thermaltake just to find out the price/release date but I haven't heard back yet.

Reactions: Commissariat

Stumbler

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2016
I've been interested in testing this in my upcoming S4 mini build this fall. Still undecided on running a 6700 6700k or wait for 7700k so I don't know how much cooling I will require, but when this drops ill have it just to try.

Reactions: CXH4

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah many are curious to find out if it is a better solution or atleast a comparable alternative to low profile "1U" coolers.

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
I've been interested in testing this in my upcoming S4 mini build this fall. Still undecided on running a 6700 6700k or wait for 7700k so I don't know how much cooling I will require, but when this drops ill have it just to try.

I would say if you can't wait for the 7700k, go with the 6700k. If the heat output is too much, you can always undervolt and/or underclock the CPU to reach an acceptable temperature. Good luck with your build! I've been eyeing this cooler as well.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
While I would love to see this cooler working. The fact is this is the 1st consumer cooler after the original Sandia cooler was announced some 2-3 years ago. The fact it's launched by Thermaltake / Coolchip is not very appealing (cheapest quality chinese junk IMO). So I hope I'll be proved wrong

Reactions: Stumbler