Image Credit – Thermalright

Sigh….How is this a thing?
Pardon my annoyance but it’s my first article being back and not one I really wanted to write. Why? Because this means either now both LGA 1700 and AM5 have crappy mounting mechanisms, or that there is another snake oil product on the market. I digress…
Thermalright is launching their new AM5 Secure Frame as a modification to AM5 sockets. Ideally, this would allow for better contact between the CPU’s IHS and the base plate of your CPU cooler of choice. Does it work? Thermalright doesn’t offer up any performance numbers. On LGA 1700 it does but AM5 is not LGA 1700. Pricing isn’t set either. It does come in black or red though, and has a 6 year...

Continue reading...

Reactions: Phuncz

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
It is not about heatspreader bending - it is about preventing thermal paste leaking in the IHS gaps and this allows you to remove the backplate and replace it with a small custom one (der8auer plans to bring one to the market) to reuse AM4 coolers that needs the backplate removed.

Reactions: riba2233

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
It is not about heatspreader bending - it is about preventing thermal paste leaking in the IHS gaps and this allows you to remove the backplate and replace it with a small custom one (der8auer plans to bring one to the market) to reuse AM4 coolers that needs the backplate removed.

Neat...good info too.

Still obnoxious we're at this point though.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020

Well, Der Bauer got into this area of the AM5...for the sake of people doing sub-ambient cooling and making a mask for the CPU SMDs, who don't want to have to de-lid the CPU and use his direct-die contact-frame and backplate...he's also testing a CPU lapping tool--although it allows you to remove a millimeter of IHS which I don't know if you'd even call that 'lapping' anymore.

I'm not sure what the point of this product is, other than bling.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
That's the kind of product that makes me regret the era or green/red/blue PCB and beige boxes....

I'm wondering how much of the global cost of a PC goes into useless aesthetic stuff

That takes me back! I remember the excitement of my first red PCB motherboard, an MSI s775 model with SATA ports!
I got rid of my last beige box only a few weeks ago... It was used when I got it in 2008, and it has been running a PC happily ever since.
The new case is quieter, 120mm fans are preferable to 80mm ones.