News Thermalright AXP90

It looks like Thermalright is working on a new heatsink in the sub 50mm height class:

Last edited:

TimaLima

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 15, 2021
Anyone seen this / tried this vertical AXP90 mounting kit from Taobao?

There's about 67 reviews on it already on the sellers page, seems to be pretty decent.
I'm thinking of trying it, just wanted to hear yall's thoughts.

Tablet

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 18, 2021
The brackets/buckles from Xianyu have arrived. They fit quite well, but I would recommend using a Noctua backplate. The metal backplate holes are too small/wrongly placed.

Oh, and some more Noctua pics...

Does the stock mounting am4 kit work with the L9aL9i Noctua backplate?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Tablet - I no longer have the cooler, but you should be able to use the Noctua backplate. The AXP90's mounting style very similar to the IS-60 I'm running in my current build. My setup is using a mounting plate from a L9a AM4 for even pressure.

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
@Tablet - I no longer have the cooler, but you should be able to use the Noctua backplate. The AXP90's mounting style very similar to the IS-60 I'm running in my current build. My setup is using a mounting plate from a L9a AM4 for even pressure.
On that note, how does the axp90 compare with the IS-60 regarding temps and noise?

ikara

Chassis Packer
Oct 12, 2020
did rotation improved the temperatures if you remember? does it worth to buy rotation kit?

ezerez

Trash Compacter
Mar 31, 2021
This one is new on the thermalright website http://www.thermalright.com/product/axp90-x47/
It was also news on techpowerup, where they say thermalright releases a 47mm high cpu cooler. but the original was also 47mm high ... Only differences in specs I can really find is that they mention both intel and amd mounting for this one and the older ones were seperate. Maybe a new mounting system?

Reactions: Phuncz

mobie1211

Chassis Packer
Mar 29, 2019
This one is new on the thermalright website http://www.thermalright.com/product/axp90-x47/
It was also news on techpowerup, where they say thermalright releases a 47mm high cpu cooler. but the original was also 47mm high ... Only differences in specs I can really find is that they mention both intel and amd mounting for this one and the older ones were seperate. Maybe a new mounting system?
90 degree for AM4, fit Original mortherboard backplate

Reactions: olbi

nnyath

Efficiency Noob
Nov 3, 2020
Got my hands on the new AXP90-X47 and the PPLANE AMD brackets that were mentioned a bit earlier this thread (thanks for the lead!)

I will benchmark the following over the next few weeks whenever time allows. Planning to do open bench, closed case and some combinations of 90 deg rotation and non-rotation using a 5950x, B550i Aorus, Velka 7 and NF-A9x14
  • AXP-90R Full (copper)
  • AXP-90R Full Black (copper, coated black)
  • AXP90-X47 (aluminum)
Also, some interesting changes on the latest AXP90-X47 I noticed
  • It's slightly narrower (2mm)
    • Translates to 3 less fin rows
  • Larger cold plate
    • The new AM4 brackets will not be compatible with the older revisions
  • No Full (copper) version yet, even for the Black edition

(Excuse the stained copper, I should have worn gloves lol...)

(Mounting mechanism on the PPLANE brackets look much better, you can bring your own M3 screw if length is an issue)

ikara

Chassis Packer
Oct 12, 2020
Can you also share photos of the back side of the motherboard, so that we can deduct if the screw can interfere with pcie risers or so?

nnyath

nnyath

Efficiency Noob
Nov 3, 2020

Benchmarking the Various AXP-90's​

Finally got around to benchmarking and compiling the results.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and was pleasantly surprised by the results. Checkout the image albums and their captions for more in-depth details.

Information about 47mm air coolers and high TDP chips is pretty scarce so I don't have a lot of references with similar setups to compare my results to. Optimum Tech is a trusted reviewer and the results in my setup ended up being quite a bit better than his similar (albeit different) tests with the Blackridge.

Note: I am not a professional reviewer so there will be some variance/incomplete data from test to test. Differences (for better or worse) may be due to paste application, even mounting pressure and quality control of each cooler.

Take my results with a grain of salt

Hardware:​

CPU Coolers:
  • AXP90-X47 (aluminum)
  • AXP-90/R Full (copper) w/ PPLANE 90 deg mount
  • AXP-90/R Full Black (copper, painted black) w/ PPLANE 90 deg mount
Fans:
  • (1) Noctua NF-A9x14
  • (3) Noctua NF-A4x20
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950x
Thermal Paste: Thermalright TFX
Case: Open Bench / Velka 7
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 4400Mhz

Open Bench Results (142W PPT):​

Using a "Quiet" Fan Curve: <=2,000 RPM

EDIT*: Info was recorded using HWiNFO64. These temps reported are CPU Die (Average), Tctl/Tdie will be around 1-2c higher.

AXP90-X47AXP-90/R FullAXP-90/R Full Black
Cinebench 23 Multicore
(~127w drawn)
80.2c / 23,686pts80.6c / 23,883pts79.3c / 23,562pts
OCCT v8.2.1
(Large, Extreme, Variable, SSE, ~142W drawn)
84.3c83.8c84.4c
Cinebench 23 Singlecore
(~65w drawn)
72.3c / 1,595pts74.8c / 1,588pts71.4c / 1,595pts

In-Depth Mounting Details​

In-Depth Benchmark Details​

Last edited:

NoDamage

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 27, 2021

In-Depth Mounting Details​

The design of this mounting system is incredibly unfortunate considering this cooler is meant to go into SFF cases.

1) As seen in your photos, the screws sticking out so far from the back of the motherboard can potentially damage PCIe riser cables, or even block mounting of the motherboard entirely in some sandwich-style cases.
2) Any "screw in from the back" design is pretty inconvenient for sandwich-style cases because to get to the back of the motherboard you have to also pull out the video card (if not remove the motherboard entirely).
3) The combined AMD/Intel backplate can interfere with components on the motherboard. In my case, I cannot mount this backplate on my Asus Strix Z370-I motherboard because the unused "AMD" portion of the backplate touches several pins sticking out of the back of the motherboard.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I used the Noctua backplate when I had mine briefly. You need to use the Thermalright screws.
This is astounding news! Thermalright screws are said to be a bit long, but not an issue as I route the riser in my Dan A4 on the side f the gpu anyway. Thanks for confirming and putting my mind at ease. I'm getting this cooler but it does not come with it's own backplate. I could still use the one that came with my mobo, but might just prefer the one from Noctua.
One more thing, how come that you had it only for a brief time?

Ziggy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 17, 2021
Mounting on my 5600x on a Gigabyte X570 ITX, the rubber washers on the bracket standoff rer nowhere near touching the MB surface and as such the threads did not protrude too far on the back side.

I ended up tightening down with an equal amount of thread protruding through the nut and left it at that.

Performance wise, I back to backed against my old Noctua L9a using the Noctua fan.

Case: XPROTO (open case)

Paste: Conductonaut

BIOS: PBO enabled with manual PBO limits of PPT 95w, TDC 70 , EDC 120 and same fan profile 100% at 65degC all to keep the variables to a minimum.

Test: Cinebench R23 Multicore 15mins warm up and then average temp and Freq for the first full render after the 15th min.

Noctua L9a
Temp: 81.2degC
Freq: 4443Mhz

AXP90 Full copper
Temp: 72.3degC
Freq: 4490Mhz

Reactions: hyshka