News Thermalright AXP90

It looks like Thermalright is working on a new heatsink in the sub 50mm height class:

Last edited:

nice_big_cup_of_stfu

Caliper Novice
Nov 24, 2020
I'm using a cheapo $10 pc cooler fan from Amazon that has been pretty good. I highly recommend a scythe 100x12mm fan. The recently discontinued their 2000 RPM version, but I was able to find a few Shuriken Rev b. coolers on FrozenCPU that use a PWM(!) version of the fan for $29 apiece and ordered two of them. I figured I've already spent a small fortune on noctuas, so a whole cooler for the same price as a single fan wasn't that big a deal. I'm using one on the AXP 100 I smooshed into my Dan A4 and will put the other on the K39 once it shows up. the 1000 rpm version of the Kaze Jyu slim (same dimensions) will run you $12 or so and is available on a number of retailers.

You could also try the Thermalright TY-100. It's way more performant, but sounds like a hovercraft. I like my pcs to be as quiet as possible, so I haven't used it.

The 100m is cool because it has the same mounting holes as the 92mm, doesn't require VLP RAM (I'm using Corsair LPX), and have so far yielded better cooling performance on the black ridge and an l9a (better coverage for the slightly larger heatsink) and should do so on anything with a larger than 92mm surface area ( c7g and AXP 90 have this kind of heatsinks for reference).

EDIT: I tested out the Ty-100 and it's been amazing. Same temps as the pc cooler fan, but with silent mode enabled in the bios its been way quieter

How are temps and noise with the TY-100 and Shuriken fans on the Black RIdge?

My worry with the A9x14's on the Black RIdge was the "whining" noise in the Dan A4

Last edited:

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
the ty-100 is a great option for the black ridge. temps have been in the high 60s with the occasional jump to 75 of a moment when something is loading while running very quietly except when it jumps. It'll ramp up for a moment then drop off again. the shuriken fans are also great, using one on an AXP 100 currently. Super quiet and really good performance.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
I got mine with the AXP 100. I think you can find them on Aliexpress or Taobao as standalones. J-hack also had some for a while, but I think he's out. I have an extra orange one (not visible through the cooler) too.

nice_big_cup_of_stfu

Caliper Novice
Nov 24, 2020
I got mine with the AXP 100. I think you can find them on Aliexpress or Taobao as standalones. J-hack also had some for a while, but I think he's out. I have an extra orange one (not visible through the cooler) too.

Great to hear. Did you ever use the Black Ridge with 100mm fan in the A4 and compare it with the A9x14? Curious to see what temps I'll get if I snag a 100mm.

CupcakePeroxide

Cable Smoosher
Aug 29, 2020
The brackets/buckles from Xianyu have arrived. They fit quite well, but I would recommend using a Noctua backplate. The metal backplate holes are too small/wrongly placed.

Oh, and some more Noctua pics...

Could you share your results (temps)? What I found online is pretty inconclusive. Some people saw 7 c reduction in CPU temps using the 90 degrees brackets; some claim only 1 c reduction and way higher VRM and RAM temperature. I'm considering getting an AXP 90 for a future build. I'm not sure if I should get the 90 degrees brackets or not.

CupcakePeroxide

Cable Smoosher
Aug 29, 2020
Reactions: renecop545

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Do anyone have a positive experience with this in a Dan a4?
I get decent thermals, but its very noisy as the fan is almost hitting the side. Any recommendations? (for now the side is off)

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
Why the AXP-90 Cooper performs only 1 degree better than the aluminium one? In Reddit there are people saying about 4-7 degrees better the cooper against the aluminium.
Aluminum has a much larger specific heat capacity than copper, it may compensate some of the disadvantage, that's why mainstream brands rarely make copper heatsinks.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Aluminum has a much larger specific heat capacity than copper, it may compensate some of the disadvantage, that's why mainstream brands rarely make copper heatsinks.
Specific heat capacity only matters until it reaches steady state, which for both isn’t long at all.

And the heat capacity for the cooler may not differ that much. A copper cooler weighs more than an aluminum cooler. The C7 Cu is 600g vs 300g for the aluminum, at least according to a quick google. So difference not that big. Aluminum is about 3x the specific heat capacity but the copper cooler has twice the mass.

Brands don’t make copper cooler cause it’s more expensive for a small performance increase, and at the cost of additional tooling and engineering. Aluminum is just a very effective material for this use.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Specific heat capacity only matters until it reaches steady state, which for both isn’t long at all.

And the heat capacity for the cooler may not differ that much. A copper cooler weighs more than an aluminum cooler. The C7 Cu is 600g vs 300g for the aluminum, at least according to a quick google. So difference not that big. Aluminum is about 3x the specific heat capacity but the copper cooler has twice the mass.

Brands don’t make copper cooler cause it’s more expensive for a small performance increase, and at the cost of additional tooling and engineering. Aluminum is just a very effective material for this use.
Fully agree..;)
However cu heatsink are gorgeous...but nothing related to performance..:)

Misjn

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2019
Do anyone have a positive experience with this in a Dan a4?
I get decent thermals, but its very noisy as the fan is almost hitting the side. Any recommendations? (for now the side is off)
I've had this in my Dan A4 for almost a year now, permanently kept my side panel on the CPU side secured only by the top 2 catches. I would not buy this cooler for the Dan A4 again and instead just go with the NH-L9i/a. I almost replaced my cooler at one point but leaving a bit of a gap to the bottom of the side panel basically removes the extra noise so didn't bother with it.

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
I've had this in my Dan A4 for almost a year now, permanently kept my side panel on the CPU side secured only by the top 2 catches. I would not buy this cooler for the Dan A4 again and instead just go with the NH-L9i/a. I almost replaced my cooler at one point but leaving a bit of a gap to the bottom of the side panel basically removes the extra noise so didn't bother with it.
Thanks, I also went back to my L9a

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
I tested the AXP90 (with Noctua fan) in my S4 Mini. With open case I had 2-3 degree (under full load) less compared with the Noctua L9a. But after closing (and its closing badly because the AXP90 is to high) it was only 1 degree difference. So the benefit was to low and I also switched back.

Reactions: Broxin

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
From what I've read the TL-9015R is really close in performance to the NF-A9x14, most claim the TR performs slightly better while being slightly louder. But it all seems to be within margin of error and rpm variations.

So no point swapping the fan unless you prefer the sound signature of the noctua or really need that (barely)1mm space saving.

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
The performance may be the same but not with the rpm/noise. In my test (open case) with 1700 rpm fixed the Noctura won with 4-5 degree difference.

You can see that also if you compare the stats
TL-9015R:
Rated Speed: 2700 RPM±10% (MAX)
Noise Level: 22.4 dBA (MAX)
Air Flow: 42.58 CFM (MAX)
Air Pressure: 1.33 mm H2O (MAX)
Ampere: 0.18 A

NF-A9x14:
Rotational speed (+/- 10%): 2200 RPM
Acoustical noise: 19,9 dB(A)
Airflow: 50,5 m³/h (MAX)
Static pressure: 1,64 mm H₂O
Ampere: 0,11 A

ikara

Chassis Packer
Oct 12, 2020
The brackets/buckles from Xianyu have arrived. They fit quite well, but I would recommend using a Noctua backplate. The metal backplate holes are too small/wrongly placed.

Oh, and some more Noctua pics...

Would you mind sharing a photo of the cooler when it is on the mobo?
How did the rotation work? Does it affect the temperatures?