News Thermalright AXP90

It looks like Thermalright is working on a new heatsink in the sub 50mm height class:

Last edited:

Jakewat

Case Bender
New User
Sep 21, 2020
@scatterforce I appreciate the feedback! I have since flipped the fan for intake since I already found it to be struggling, but I may try your suggestion to move it further off-center.

I also managed to solve a few motor noise issues by adjusting the fan curve delay in bios, which seems to have mostly stopped the weird wind up/down noises.

it's a tough decision between the a9x14 and a9x25. The 25mm overall tends to have better stats, but like you say may cause turbulence. I do like the small size of the axp90, but without adequate case exhaust my ghost really does turn into a bit of a hot box. Down the line I may look into getting a better cooler, potentially even doing some modding to add exhausts or an AIO since it's fast approaching summer here in NZ

nekuswan

What's an ITX?
New User
Sep 28, 2020
I have ordered the AM4 Bracket from tmall via superbuy.
I can post the inspection images if anybody is interested:

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have the existing axp90 full copper for AMD. So does this mean that I will only have to buy the am4 bracket and it is compatible?

Please do post the inspection images. The black axp 90 looks good though.

ATHLON_DURON_SEMPRON

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 6, 2020
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know where to contact Thermalright? I have tried using their contact us email link but received no response.

I wanted to know if Thermalirght or a 3rd party could created an FM2+ mounting brackets for the AXP90. It seems that someone was able to get a Chinese based company to create custom brackets to rotate the new AXP90. Can they make an FM2+ bracket?

Flipping_A_pebble

Chassis Packer
Aug 30, 2019
So what is the consensus on the best sub 47mm cooler. I've seen some users commenting that the AXP-90 full copper is superior to the Blackridge v2. However the review below tested both the AXP-90 and the Blackridge and favored the Blackridge on raw cooling performance with the right fan orientation. Considering how the noctua fan swap pulling air in benefits the Blackridge's performance so much compared to stock, I wouldn't be surprised that those just testing the the Blackridge just in stock form would see that the AXP-90 is superior.

So what do you all think?

Reactions: Broxin and Vlad502

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Test is on open bench and there are many variables: case, cpu, fan, thermal paste, ambient even mounting pressure
IMO compatibility is also added to choice decision

Reactions: Tashi

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
I ordered following brackets:

The first one seems the same as the standard bracket from the AM4 AXP90 version. No reason to install it. :)
The second bracket set includes a back plate and the bracket have longer screws. I am still waiting for this set.

I can not upload pictures. :(
AFAIK both are the same thing, which is the mounting kit used in the Thermalright AXP-90 FULL BLACK where it now has a backplate and can support both Intel and AMD sockets. I assume it would still be compatible with the original AXP-90.

Here is the listing from thermalright official store

and the AXP-90 FULL BLACK

birdsliveoutthere

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2020
I ordered following brackets:

The first one seems the same as the standard bracket from the AM4 AXP90 version. No reason to install it. :)
The second bracket set includes a back plate and the bracket have longer screws. I am still waiting for this set.

I can not upload pictures. :(

Are those supposed to be the brackets that allow you to orient the cooler parallel to the RAM?

For images, you can always use an image hosting site like imgur and then paste the links here.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
So what is the consensus on the best sub 47mm cooler. I've seen some users commenting that the AXP-90 full copper is superior to the Blackridge v2. However the review below tested both the AXP-90 and the Blackridge and favored the Blackridge on raw cooling performance with the right fan orientation. Considering how the noctua fan swap pulling air in benefits the Blackridge's performance so much compared to stock, I wouldn't be surprised that those just testing the the Blackridge just in stock form would see that the AXP-90 is superior.

So what do you all think?

So I've used the AXP90, the C7G, and the black ridge in a bunch of different builds and by far the best has been the black ridge with a 100mm fan. I've got it in a K39 cooling a 3900 (65W part) and my temps are in the high 30s-low 40s at idle and 65c at most underload. Both the C7G and the AXP 90 were tried with their stock fans and an a9x14 HS and were really disappointing on both the 3900 and a 3700X.

Reactions: Flipping_A_pebble

Flipping_A_pebble

Chassis Packer
Aug 30, 2019
So I've used the AXP90, the C7G, and the black ridge in a bunch of different builds and by far the best has been the black ridge with a 100mm fan. I've got it in a K39 cooling a 3900 (65W part) and my temps are in the high 30s-low 40s at idle and 65c at most underload. Both the C7G and the AXP 90 were tried with their stock fans and an a9x14 HS and were really disappointing on both the 3900 and a 3700X.
Interesting a 100mm fan!?! Which fan are you using and does that fan require VLP memory?

I had assumed that the black ridge would outperform all similarly sized coolers if a slim 120mm was attached underneath. My initial question was how it performed with a 92mm noctua because I didn't want to source VLP memory, but a 100mm fan sounds interesting albeit just a bit bigger.

Last edited:

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
I'm using a cheapo $10 pc cooler fan from Amazon that has been pretty good. I highly recommend a scythe 100x12mm fan. The recently discontinued their 2000 RPM version, but I was able to find a few Shuriken Rev b. coolers on FrozenCPU that use a PWM(!) version of the fan for $29 apiece and ordered two of them. I figured I've already spent a small fortune on noctuas, so a whole cooler for the same price as a single fan wasn't that big a deal. I'm using one on the AXP 100 I smooshed into my Dan A4 and will put the other on the K39 once it shows up. the 1000 rpm version of the Kaze Jyu slim (same dimensions) will run you $12 or so and is available on a number of retailers.

You could also try the Thermalright TY-100. It's way more performant, but sounds like a hovercraft. I like my pcs to be as quiet as possible, so I haven't used it.

The 100m is cool because it has the same mounting holes as the 92mm, doesn't require VLP RAM (I'm using Corsair LPX), and have so far yielded better cooling performance on the black ridge and an l9a (better coverage for the slightly larger heatsink) and should do so on anything with a larger than 92mm surface area ( c7g and AXP 90 have this kind of heatsinks for reference).

EDIT: I tested out the Ty-100 and it's been amazing. Same temps as the pc cooler fan, but with silent mode enabled in the bios its been way quieter

Last edited:

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Does anyone know if these 90° am4 brackets from thermalright are available to be purchased separately?

I know someone on tabao sells their own custom version, but I rather have the official thermalright set.
You could try contacting thermalright support, they might be able to hook you up.