The space inefficiency thread

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Mind you, there are fans that have a replaceable fan hub for two directions in the same frame mounting:

Or just plain reverse direction fans:

BikingViking11

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 10, 2019
For your viewing/mocking pleasure I present my streaming studio PC named "Pauly Shore"...because it has no fans.

It is currently running a Ryzen 5 3600 (65W TDP, soon to be upgraded to a Ryzen 9 3900) paired with an RTX A2000 boasting @REVOCCASES wonderful fanless mod. It hosts three Quad-Bus USB 3.0 cards to run 14 cameras including a POV cam via a wireless HDMI link. The cameras are controlled with three Streamdecks distributed throughout the two car garage. With the Shure wireless mic receiver and ElGato WaveLink I can roam throughout the shop and switch cameras to whatever I'm working on. I do bicycle mechanic work as well as wood, metal and plastics projects, so running fanless keeps dust from getting sucked into the case. For Summer months I have a ceiling-mounted air filtration system aimed at it to aid convection.

The case is mounted on a gas shock pulldown bracket made for big televisions so I can access it for work and upgrades. All the cables are run overhead to eliminate damage and tripping while working. To keep an eye on chat I have three monitors (2X32", 1X44"), two of which are mounted to overhead barn door slides that allow them to be moved about 20' and can swivel 360 degrees. The monitor cables are swagged to a secondary curtain slide to prevent snagging. Nine of the cameras are mounted to articulating arms that allow them to be raised, lowered and spun anywhere within an 11' radius.

DucDriver

Chassis Packer
Oct 5, 2023
Before deciding that a portable and small PC is what I need, I built an Apple G5 mod a few years ago. My goal was to keep the outside as intact as possible, but have a case that works just like a normal PC case. This is the outside:

Button, USB and audio connectors are functional. The original back of the Apple case was not useable, so I cut apart a LianLi case and used parts like the motherboard holder. The backplate is laser cut and the fan outlets are 3D printed to match the case design.

This is the inside. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture with the cable routing (kinda) sorted out. An ATX board fits inside as well as two radiators. Later on I changed the PSU to an SFF one for more room and better accessibility.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Love g5 mods. I have 2 G5's sitting in my garage waiting for modding that will likely never happen, lol. They're insanely nice cases, but there's a LOT of work that needs to be done to convert them.

Reactions: Arboreal

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017

My man's description from PCPartPicker:

"Basically a gaming server. This was my first PC build. I wanted to future proof it to use for many years within budget. I'm also planning to use this for my plex server. Eventually it will turn into a nas when it becomes outdated but for now I'm happy with it and in the future I'll be able build a specific gaming rig hopefully cheaper being this can serve as a nas"

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2020

My man's description from PCPartPicker:

"Basically a gaming server. This was my first PC build. I wanted to future proof it to use for many years within budget. I'm also planning to use this for my plex server. Eventually it will turn into a nas when it becomes outdated but for now I'm happy with it and in the future I'll be able build a specific gaming rig hopefully cheaper being this can serve as a nas"
🤮

Reactions: riba2233 and Solo