Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Nice update @firewolfy, I am curious to see what prices on v2.0 will be.

I did something similar with my 92mm ID-Cooling fan. The blades extended out slightly from the frame so they were hitting on the bottom of the case when installed and making a horrible racket. I have a silicon gasket from a 92mm Noiseblocker fan and installed that between the case and the fan. Got rid of the racket and I am guessing also helped with turbulence.

Good luck with future versions of the case.

firewolfy, I was thinking about the same thing when I first read the updates: if you can supply a rubber gasket, it would be a better solution than a metal riser. Probably less cost to you, and definitely less overall noise...

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yep these rubber gaskets can be purchased from 3rd party stores.

IIRC I saw normal 92mm gaskets, as well as adapter gaskets like 92-80, 140-120 etc

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Might be a better idea, thanks. Maybe even adhesive backed so it would stay in place. The design i have is plastic and 3d printed. I should get my sample within the next week and I'll run it vs a rubber spacer gasket.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Another suggestion I can think of is to create more exhaust holes behind, just next to the motherboard IO cutout. Not sure if it will weaken the frame or increase the price too much tho.

Man, except the powder coating, I'm so jealous of these updates..
Lol. I will be sending all current owners the fan spacer and bonded-on supports to prevent the cover flex. So you will have that crumb to look forward to...
Least I can do.

Reactions: Jello

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Might be a better idea, thanks. Maybe even adhesive backed so it would stay in place. The design i have is plastic and 3d printed. I should get my sample within the next week and I'll run it vs a rubber spacer gasket.

Seems like a (softer) rubber gasket would be less noisy than a (harder) plastic gasket...?

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Seems like a (softer) rubber gasket would be less noisy than a (harder) plastic gasket...?
Yeah, I agree. My design was only to try to reduce airflow noise. I didn't design it for vibration isolation, but that is a pretty good idea.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@firewolfy

Really appreciate the extras, thanks.

Interested to see your bonded-on support design.

I have something in mind but it involves screws & holes to make it stronger.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Here is a picture that shows the silicon gasket that came with the Noiseblocker, anti vibration was a bonus.

Reactions: Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Looks like there might be hope after all for a RX Vega Nano...!

Sapphire as an AIB for Vega Nano...?

https://amp.hothardware.com/news/sapphire-reportedly-developing-radeon-rx-vega-nano-graphics-card

And PowerColor teases a prototype Vega Nano...

https://www.techpowerup.com/243489/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-nano-pictured

https://videocardz.com/76000/powercolor-showcases-radeon-rx-vega-nano

This would be great for making a quality Hackintosh, as Apple's pro apps (Final Cut / Logic) & OpenCL love the Radeon GPUs...

Now I gotta go look up the Ryzen Hackintosh stuff again, see where that is at...

Ryzen 7 2700 (8c / 16t) with Vega Nano GPU running OS X (okay, okay; macOS...) stuffed in a MI-6 chassis with my Corsair SF600 PSU; sounds good to me...!

Last edited:

TrevinLC1997

Efficiency Noob
Apr 27, 2018
@firewolfy I made an account specifically so I could comment on something about the case. I've been following the design for awhile now and was interested if it would be possible to make a bit taller just so you could add an exhaust fan to the top of the case, using something thin like the noctua NF A12x15. Thanks.

*Edit*
I realized that GPU/CPU/PSU fans are directed towards their own ventilation hole. Still would be a nice touch though :)

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@firewolfy I made an account specifically so I could comment on something about the case. I've been following the design for awhile now and was interested if it would be possible to make a bit taller just so you could add an exhaust fan to the top of the case, using something thin like the noctua NF A12x15. Thanks.

*Edit*
I realized that GPU/CPU/PSU fans are directed towards their own ventilation hole. Still would be a nice touch though :)
Hey bro,
Welcome and thanks for joining sff, and writing up your thoughts on the case.
The idea for an area in the top for a fan has been discussed some in this thread. If you havent seen it you might check the last 5 pages or so. I am working on a design for a 'top hat' or 'the Loft' as I call it (sounds spacious, and like a cool place to hang out, lol). Should have something to show within a couple weeks.

Reactions: ignsvn and Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I am working on a design for a 'top hat' or 'the Loft' as I call it (sounds spacious, and like a cool place to hang out, lol). Should have something to show within a couple weeks.

The Loft, I like it...!

And it avoids any passing similarity to Louqe's 'TopHat'...

Excited to see how you implement 'The Loft', and hoping for both an exhaust fan version & an AIO version...!

(...although an issue with an AIO is going to be tubing length / bulk...)

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
Have you considered a similar design, but with no riser? GPU slots in, PSU still on top, it'd be about 15mm wider, but the heatsink clearance would be close to 130mm.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Tops will most likely be the anodized natural aluminum look. I can get that with good quality. Black powder coat might be an option as well.

Have you considered a similar design, but with no riser? GPU slots in, PSU still on top, it'd be about 15mm wider, but the heatsink clearance would be close to 130mm.

Yeah, that config has been kicked around. The size is a bit bigger than I'd like to build, and the top intake for the GPU kind of conflicts with the side intake for the CPU, in that there will have to be some other location for exhaust and there is opportunity for hot air recirculation. The current MI-6 minimizes hot air recirculation in the case.

Reactions: Gautam