Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I may have missed it but is the fan loft compatible with the first run cases?

I’m wondering how the loft would do as an intake with the CPU fan as an exhaust...

Definitely prefer 92mm x 2 for it.

The loft design is lagging the main design revisions a bit, but yeah the goal is to make it fit all gens.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@firewolfy,

I may have missed this, but what's the reason of not using the usual vandal switch for those who opt for front IO?

Another suggestion for next iteration is that, to make more attachment holes for the drives like.. (Pardon the awesome artsy image, I know)

I noticed that I hadn't replied to this. Better late than never?
A vandal switch as part of front io is difficult. The switch has a bezel on the front that would sit behind the case cover, so it wouldn't look too good.

I like the additional keyholes for hdds. But adding more of them lower down the case would eliminate the opening for the horizontal QR hdd bracket, so I set that concept aside.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Got it, thanks for the explanation on the vandal switch.

... a ground rule I have is to keep each gen as interchangeable as possible.

In the world where many things are disposable / non re-usable, I somehow really appreciate this approach.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Well this figures, just picked up my GTX 1070 and now it looks like Nvidia will release new GPUs in July. So probably a couple months at least until we see any itx units. Rumors now speculate the GTX 1170 will be as powerful as GTX 1080 Ti, if the current improvement is as good as Maxwell to Pascal it will be. 1080 Ti performance at 150 watts, I can't wait. :D

Reactions: Jello

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Wow, the potential of SFF builds will skyrocket. I wonder if we'll see low profile GPU around 1070 performance?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Founder's edition cards of GTX 1180 and possibly 1170 are expected to show up in July, followed by the non-reference designs by third parties in August or September.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Wow, the potential of SFF builds will skyrocket. I wonder if we'll see low profile GPU around 1070 performance?

I think that is possible. If you look at 900 series there were very few low profile or single slot cards, but with the lower power and better cooling of Pascal we saw a lot more. I think the 1160 will probably have that performance and could very well come out in low profile.

Reactions: Jello

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I have finished readying the 4 MI-6 cases from the last production-readiness run and they will be available for purchase soon.
Actually the date has been set and will be May 21st Monday starting at 9pm EST.

If anyone is interested I put more info about them on the CCD front page News, and in the Answers page.

Reactions: ignsvn and DKsystem

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
I have finished readying the 4 MI-6 cases from the last production-readiness run and they will be available for purchase soon.
Actually the date has been set and will be May 21st Monday starting at 9pm EST.

If anyone is interested I put more info about them on the CCD front page News, and in the Answers page.

Please do explain this more fully; I might finally pull the trigger on buying this if they're the configuration I need.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@Ganelon --
Sure, here is some more info --

I've had a few questions about availability of cases and these 4 'proofs' have been just sitting in their boxes, so I wanted to make them available for anyone interested. I always had planned to make these available, but it took a while to get the finish on the covers and top plates. The cases have various color powder-coated covers and top plates, and some have the option of different colors or a natural brushed aluminum top plate. These have some differences from the standard MI-6, so the pricing is reduced.

These 4 cases were part of the group of final pre-production proofs I ordered from the sheet metal house before I had them kick off the 40pc production run back in Dec. I used them for fit checks and quality verification. The chassis' have correct dimensions and finishes, and match the production run except for the following:

(1.) Only 1 front cutout for access vs 3 on the production run.
(2.) Slightly lower (5mm) front I/O mounting on the 1 case that has front I/O.
(3.) HDD bracket mounting uses 6-32 threaded holes, rather than the M3 inserts on the production run chassis.
(4.) A few minor scratches in the chassis from fit checks.
(5.) The finish on the covers and top plates may have some texture or orange peel.
(6.) Depending on the case S/N, there are top plate color options.

There is more info and photos on the ccd webpage in the News, Answers and Shop sections.

Reactions: DKsystem

Lollipop

Efficiency Noob
Apr 21, 2018
Wow, nice work.
I have been looking for the real itx (cpu gpu psu) case for so long. I will get this one for sure.

In addition, is there anyway that we can mod the case to have the drill hole for front fan (90, 120) if we are not going to use any drive in the front?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
In addition, is there anyway that we can mod the case to have the drill hole for front fan (90, 120) if we are not going to use any drive in the front?

You can drill holes on the front side of the cover, but I'm not sure you can put 90mm or 120mm fan in front.. You'll need to remove much of the front internal structure (since the fan itself will be located across the motherboard & GPU area). Not sure if it's going to work.

However.. Based on the CPU cooler height, 2.5" drive dimension and motherboard standoff height, perhaps a 60mm front fan will fit on the motherboard area only. And yes you'll still need to drill the holes :)

Lollipop

Efficiency Noob
Apr 21, 2018
@ignsvn

Haha, that what i was thinking of, just trying to get more possitive pressure through the case.

Anyway, i just notice about the Loft; however, if i am not wrong, adding top 25mm fan would increase the case up to 7.2 - 7.3 L. Shall we call MI-7 lol. Is there anyway we can keep it upto MI-6 with all those options.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@ignsvn

Haha, that what i was thinking of, just trying to get more possitive pressure through the case.

Anyway, i just notice about the Loft; however, if i am not wrong, adding top 25mm fan would increase the case up to 7.2 - 7.3 L. Shall we call MI-7 lol. Is there anyway we can keep it upto MI-6 with all those options.

Maybe just try a higher flow 92mm bottom fan? Gotta be quieter than a 60 or 80mm..