Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
good case This is one of my favorite chassis structures so far
although it has been sold on taobao
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c-s.w4023-16089406308.4.wScnd9&id=546347614094

No offense, but the link you show contains absolutely no information about that case. It could look completely different on the inside.

And it looks larger, the vent looks like it is for a 120mm fan (rough scaling extrapolated from the vandal switch)…

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
After I waited for the internal photos to load, it looks somewhat similar to the MI-6.
  • The sfx psu, mb, and gpu mounting are in the same locations.
  • The case is .7" wider which allows for a taller 70mm cpu fan.
  • The front area structure being recessed allows moumting a front fan. The recessed structure limits the gpu length to maybe 7", and takes away room for psu cable routing, especially if sfx-l is used.
  • Side panel ventilation looks a bit weak, but with a big front fan maybe it still cools ok.

Reactions: iFreilicht

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
And it looks larger, the vent looks like it is for a 120mm fan (rough scaling extrapolated from the vandal switch)…

Huh, the first time I looked at that link, it did not have the english language reference to the 8.2L volume…?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Been a while since last time I checked this project; Glad that now we have options for front usb, audio jacks & power button. Not everyone have the luxury to reach the back of the case :p

(CMIIW, some ITX mobos also requires front audio jacks to have 5.1 audio)

I personally prefer the original exhaust holes design. Or simple round holes, or perhaps slanted holes like the one in S4 also look good. However, I totally understand the cost concern.

Regardless of the new cover designs, would it affect the thermal performance a lot if the top exhaust holes are removed? As we all know.. dust & gravity love those :)

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hi guys,
Sorry but there was a bit of a lull there in development, due to lack of time and funds. But I do have an update, woo hoo!

I modeled the latest 2 vent configurations with the I/O vs. non-I/O front cover (in black).

The Slotted versions:

The Slotted-Hex versions:

Ok, and I have managed to get some parts laser cut. I had 4 covers cut to try out bending, installing hex mesh and powder coating. I also got 6 front plates, split between the uncluttered version and the usb-I/O-power switch versions, to fit check and to do some chem-etch and anodizing trials.
Lastly, I had some PCI hold-downs made for bending trials and then fit checks.

Here is a pic of some of the glorious aluminum, including the work I've done bending and installing hex mesh on 1 cover:

Now I don't have money to get the latest chassis frame made, so I took the existing prototype and modified it to accept the new cover and front plate. Mostly attachment screw locations moved a bit.
Here are some pics of the case assembly, unfinished and looking a bit ragged, but it made a good showing as far as fit up. I didn't have the latest flat head screws so I used these button head for now, and waiting on the right screws (I thought I had some, but wrong pitch, grrr).

So I'm pretty happy. I finally have a prototype of the latest simplified cover design with smooth bends and 4-screw attachment, and has the large slots. I used the sheet metal bender I bought a couple months ago with an attachment made to do the large-radius bends.

I do have the power button cap being 3d printed next week. It will be black plastic with a translucent center circle to show the power status light.

First run date, well that's still up in the air, as chassis prototyping is still to be done, the most expensive part of the case. But I'm still plugging away at it, envisioning a Ryzen 7-1800 and a 1070 stuffed in there.......

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
A-mazing! Worth the wait. The slotted hex version is my favourite BY FAR. Just gorgeous.

By far my favourite case on SFF Forum - its both small AND beautiful - so hard to do!

BTW: will the Gigabyte 1070 fit in this/?

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

murrgz

Efficiency Noob
Oct 3, 2016
A-mazing! Worth the wait. The slotted hex version is my favourite BY FAR. Just gorgeous.

By far my favourite case on SFF Forum - its both small AND beautiful - so hard to do!

BTW: will the Gigabyte 1070 fit in this/?
Yup. An earlier prototype had one installed in this post.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
its looking nice :3

Hi guys,
I do have the power button cap being 3d printed next week. It will be black plastic with a translucent center circle to show the power status light.
wait you can do that? thats nice
what kind of swith are you using? that gives me a lot of ideas

Reactions: Biowarejak

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
People seem to prefer the big slots with hex mesh behind, and I thought this design was final.. However I much prefer the smaller "star wars" slots, and was happy to see them return in your renders. What's the verdict on this design?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Been a while since last time I checked this project; Glad that now we have options for front usb, audio jacks & power button. Not everyone have the luxury to reach the back of the case :p

(CMIIW, some ITX mobos also requires front audio jacks to have 5.1 audio)

I personally prefer the original exhaust holes design. Or simple round holes, or perhaps slanted holes like the one in S4 also look good. However, I totally understand the cost concern.

Regardless of the new cover designs, would it affect the thermal performance a lot if the top exhaust holes are removed? As we all know.. dust & gravity love those :)
I looked into removing those top holes a couple months ago and tested with the top blocked off. I can look for the data, but I do remember the temps increased enough to abandon the idea.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I could go with either the small or big slots. The modder's hex mesh looks good enough as it is.

Also, that's a sweet looking case. Personally I could go for a brushed metal finish.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I looked into removing those top holes a couple months ago and tested with the top blocked off. I can look for the data, but I do remember the temps increased enough to abandon the idea.

Right... top exhaust it is then.