Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

planebreaks

Cable Smoosher
May 1, 2016
Good idea, thanks for that. I'll generate files in several formats and put them on the first page.
Hey dude,
You can also play with asymmetry as well.
I really like the split front, too.
Maybe you can split it with the golden ratio? Then people can switch left and right side.

Try it out dude!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hi all. Sorry about the absence --been busy with other pressing issues lately.

I do have a bit of something to share: I've uploaded the model of the front plate, so peeps can go to town on customization ideas (woo hoo!).

I exported out of my cad program (solidedge) into a STEP file, an IGES file, a parasolid (xt) file, and a plain ol' jpg with dimensions in case someone wants to create a model themselves. The part is pretty simple (.125" thk alum), so re-creating should be easy, if you can't get the model files to work for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khbbb6pfog1vtb0/Firewolfys Mi-6 Front Plate.stp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bphggfqlogtg9rl/Firewolfys Mi-6 Front Plate.igs?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxyvh0dk6ijfony/Firewolfys Mi-6 Front Plate.x_t?dl=0

(Note those 3 aren't image files, so they won't display correctly, but you can download them)

Here is the jpg:

Feel free to share what you come up with!

GeSong

Chassis Packer
Jan 27, 2017
nice job! Does this case use a riser cable or riser PCB? From my personal experience, PCB is more reliable than most of the riser cables on the market.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
nice job! Does this case use a riser cable or riser PCB? From my personal experience, PCB is more reliable than most of the riser cables on the market.

It uses a riser cable. Baseline config uses the MODDIY 300mm cable. I did recently hear that LiHeat Finally has their riser redesign done, after pulling it from the market last summer. I'm hoping to get a sample within the next 2 weeks to try out.

In any case, the only risers being considered are fully shielded x16 gen3 capable. There are a bunch of crappy risers out there that are poorly made and only handle gen1/gen2, which are not being considered.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Sorry I've been a bit behind in keeping everyone up to date.

As I wrote the other day over on H, I've been looking at 3 areas:
1. Considering flush screws on front now that i know the tolerance stack up will be pretty tight and no concern about matching up the cover holes to the chassis threaded inserts.
2. Adding, yes adding audio and usb back on the case. I have using the test case for several months for gaming and everything else. I found that having the headphone jack on the back is a pain: routing the cord that ALWAYS wants to get hung up on something, and the reduced cord free length, and the blind connection. Will be a hit to total number of hdd/ssd's that can be mounted, but i don't think anyone will mind...
3. The cover is the 2nd highest cost item, due to all the custom vent slots This cost can be reduced significantly by using inserted perforated panels in the cover instead.
...The goal of course to improve aesthetics, functionality and cost, to see if there is a market big enough to support a production run.
Here is the idea for USB/audio, it is mounted low on the front in the center where the green circle is. It takes up the space that would have been avail for more HDD/SSDs.

To reduce the cover cost, I changed to ventilation panel inserts, attached with 3M permanent 2-sided transfer adhesive to the cover.
I also changed to Flathead SS black screws for the front.

Here are the latest concepts with the new IO and flat screws, and several vent pattern ideas. Take a look and let me know what you think.

A: Slotted, simple:

B: Staggered holes, simple:

C: Slotted with horizontal dividers:

D: Staggered holes with horizontal dividers:

E: Staggered holes with vertical dividers:

Sorry about the varying picture brightness and such, I'm having trouble rendering the same positioning of case and lighting. -And with the panels supposed to be black, they don't show any detail unless I lighten them up a bit to greyish.

Also, since the vent panels are recessed, I'm looking at sizing them so a Demciflex filter would fit in the recess on the outside. That way someone could add filters if they wanted to.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I like A and C as well, but I do agree with what Wade said, the i/o is not that attractive. I think it would best having it at the front top of the case, above the hdd mounts inside the case, having all the connections and power button arranged in a horizontal line.

Reactions: cmyk78

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I like D the best.

Just a quick note on the mesh - if fan noise is a concern then the finer mesh material will be quieter than the more open style staggered slots. That is if the mesh hole sizes are to scale in your renderings.

The InWin Chopin has very fine mesh cover which if you put a fan up against it pulls air through nice and quietly, however if you put the same fan up against a slotted vent it will be much louder.

Reactions: cmyk78 and ricochet

Echoic

Chassis Packer
Jan 30, 2017
This case is amazing. I just found out about it. When are you planning on putting this into production? I would definitely be among the first to support this if you did a crowd funding campaign. As far as the designs you posted, I like A, C, and E.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
This case is amazing. I just found out about it. When are you planning on putting this into production? I would definitely be among the first to support this if you did a crowd funding campaign. As far as the designs you posted, I like A, C, and E.

Echoic,
Glad you like it. Timing is kind of up in the air. I need to do a prototype of the final config before kicking off the planned 30-pc first run. So the next steps are finalizing an attractive design and then working on funding for the prototype.

Timing should be this spring for a run.

exodus

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2016
Hi, they all look great ! I still like the first one iv seen here most. the one with a plane front. In these picture's A and B is most for my taste. The new inlay detail on airvents looks great. Front panel is fuctional i think. I just don't like it personally that much. It's pretty usual setup imho. would it be too expensive to hide em behind a little door or a hatch if they have to be in front? Also thinking about the coords is good, but ie. for me it does not matter that much, im using wireless headset, keyboard and mouse. Adding option for filter would be great. those flat screws looks okay as well, but there was nothing wrong with the "original" ones either. Keep up the good work !

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I very much dislike the vertical dividers. No dividers is best, followed by vertical.

Also, I'd see if in addition to gluing them in place maybe you could get some tabs that could be bent up to trap the vents in place

Dedaciai

Trash Compacter
Jan 31, 2016
I like A and C the best. I'm assuming that the panel inserts could be removed and some could add their own acrylic or glass panels if they wanted - that would be kind of cool.

fjbruening

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2016
I don't really like the front io. I feel it detracts from the clean look.
Also I agree with @Tek Everything, A & C look the best

I certainly respect Wade's opinion, but let me state that I like some IO on the front. Maybe not as 'clean', but it beats having to turn around your box every time you want to insert a usb key or dvd drive. I'm also not too crazy about having a usb hub lying around in front of the box all the time either. Easy access IO solves this use case the best IMO.

YMMV, but I wanted to share.

Reactions: Kwirek

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I like A and B the best. Not a big fan of the split-window designs. One big window on each side also opens more possibilities for window modding, so you can install a clear panel on the sides with just vents on top, or any sort of custom cut grill pattern.

As far as front I/O goes I like having front I/O on my cases, but front and center certainly feels off to me on this case. It would look less obtrusive to have the I/O and power button off to one side of the case.

But then I wouldn't know if the PCB and cables would get in the way too much of the motherboard or GPU if you place the I/O on a side.

Echoic

Chassis Packer
Jan 30, 2017
I don't really like the front io. I feel it detracts from the clean look.
Also I agree with @Tek Everything, A & C look the best

Just going to also add, that I prefer no front IO as well. I don't mind plugging into the back of my case. Plus, it would be less wires to deal with internally and would reduce cost.