Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I would be very interested to see some (real life / gaming) performance tests using the same hardware running on PCIe Gen 3 vs. Gen 4. If it's just a few FPS difference it's not (yet) worth to upgrade the riser IMHO.

Edit: just found some comparisons. Only 0 to 3% difference in FPS depending on the test. Guess I'll wait for RTX4XXX until I upgrade to PCIe Gen 4. 😅
Indeed! I think the main issue is not speed, but that Nvidia GPU were not working on some MB because oft he 3.0 Riser. So you have to plug it directly, set the PCIe speed in BIOS to 3.0, and THEN use the riser.
Is more compatibility than speed (I never seen ANY difference even between PCIe 3.0 x8 and x16 with my Titan V while rendering...)

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Indeed! I think the main issue is not speed, but that Nvidia GPU were not working on some MB because oft he 3.0 Riser. So you have to plug it directly, set the PCIe speed in BIOS to 3.0, and THEN use the riser.
Is more compatibility than speed (I never seen ANY difference even between PCIe 3.0 x8 and x16 with my Titan V while rendering...)

Thanks! Slowly I get it. First change to PCIe 3.0 in BIOS and then use the riser. Well, that's not so difficult and saves 60 bucks for a PCIe 4.0 riser.

Reactions: fabio

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I would be very interested to see some (real life / gaming) performance tests using the same hardware running on PCIe Gen 3 vs. Gen 4. If it's just a few FPS difference it's not (yet) worth to upgrade the riser IMHO.

Edit: just found some comparisons. Only 0 to 3% difference in FPS depending on the test. Guess I'll wait for RTX4XXX until I upgrade to PCIe Gen 4. 😅

There is almost no gain for performance right now. However, from a convenience point of view, it's nice to have.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
It is still, my favorite ITX designed case. The design is timeless!!

View attachment 971
Hey, that's a deshrouded mini itx card you got there and I never found anyone with that method, would you mind a few questions?:) I found a video where someone suggests that deshrouding a mini card with only a single fan will actually result in somewhat higher temps but I would appreciate a first hand opinion from someone who already did this.
  • I suppose it's more silent, but are there any benefits (or any kind of changes) regarding temperature?
  • Does not having a shroud in a smaller case heat up the air inside the case as the fins now emit heat in every direction resulting in higher temps for the other components? Maybe causing the air inhaled by the slim noctua to be warmer too?
  • Did you try changing the fan only while keeping the shroud somehow? Even if not, theoretically would that be more ideal in a smaller case?
  • Would two 80mm noctuas next to each other be more beneficial?
I'm thinking of switching the fan on my Gigabyte 2060 mini one way or another. Just deshrouding would be very convenient as a slim 92mm noctua easily fits onto the heatsink, but I also planning a method to keep the shroud without altering any of the original components of the gpu. Sorry for being off-topic!

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hey, that's a deshrouded mini itx card you got there and I never found anyone with that method, would you mind a few questions?:) I found a video where someone suggests that deshrouding a mini card with only a single fan will actually result in somewhat higher temps but I would appreciate a first hand opinion from someone who already did this.
  • I suppose it's more silent, but are there any benefits (or any kind of changes) regarding temperature?
  • Does not having a shroud in a smaller case heat up the air inside the case as the fins now emit heat in every direction resulting in higher temps for the other components? Maybe causing the air inhaled by the slim noctua to be warmer too?
  • Did you try changing the fan only while keeping the shroud somehow? Even if not, theoretically would that be more ideal in a smaller case?
  • Would two 80mm noctuas next to each other be more beneficial?
I'm thinking of switching the fan on my Gigabyte 2060 mini one way or another. Just deshrouding would be very convenient as a slim 92mm noctua easily fits onto the heatsink, but I also planning a method to keep the shroud without altering any of the original components of the gpu. Sorry for being off-topic!
Hey, I will answer by points! (BTW, it is an MSI 2070 ITX)
  1. That is the main reason! The fan on the MSI was loud as fuck, even at low speed. Temperature wise, I don't see any issue, maybe it is 3C warmer?
  2. This is true and not true: there are not in a perfect sealed shroud or environment. In any case the air is pushed through the fin on the sides, mainly. Of course with a top exhaust could have been better, but no issue after ours of Doom gameplay though.
  3. I think I didn't, but not interested into it. I was more looking to have a more silent system!
  4. They don;t fit in thickness, the side of the heatsink are thicker.

leifeinar

Trash Compacter
Sep 18, 2019
Just fount the ecomode (ryzen):)have to say im impressed. Boost almost as normal when running 3dmark, and score is only down with 150points. But cant find anny real game benchmarks. You have anny pros cons for gaming?

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Reactions: fabio

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Has anyone seen any of the ITX sized 3000 series go up for sale yet?

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
My evil hope is that new ITX GPUs are still a long ways off which lures people to sell their cases.

Still kicking myself for not getting on the last batch.

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
I suppose somebody has probably asked this before, but if no more runs are being made, maybe the community could have access to the cad files? The thread is still active and interest still high. :> <3

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I suppose somebody has probably asked this before, but if no more runs are being made, maybe the community could have access to the cad files? The thread is still active and interest still high. :> <3

I think Firewolfy is just burned out for now. He lost money on the cases, and worked incredibly hard to put together an amazing product from packaging to materials. Given time, he might bring it back...maybe with 200mm GPU support? 😁

Reactions: rfarmer

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
I think Firewolfy is just burned out for now. He lost money on the cases, and worked incredibly hard to put together an amazing product from packaging to materials. Given time, he might bring it back...maybe with 200mm GPU support? 😁
*cries in 232mm 3070*

leifeinar

Trash Compacter
Sep 18, 2019
Has anyone seen any of the ITX sized 3000 series go up for sale yet?

We have the 3060 none TI in Norway. but is just a few % better than rtx 2070, probably runs a little cooler.

Here

A little disapointed by the 6700 XT, was hoping for betther powerefficiency than 3060 and 3070 cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Revenant

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
We have the 3060 none TI in Norway. but is just a few % better than rtx 2070, probably runs a little cooler.

Here

A little disapointed by the 6700 XT, was hoping for betther powerefficiency than 3060 and 3070 cards.

AMD GPUs aren't particularly power efficient. They're saved by the node process their on.

I'm glad to see the MSI card starting to trickle into the market. I hope some come my way, and that I can actually buy them.

Reactions: rfarmer

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well, it's upgrade time for my CCD MI-6. It will once again become my main Adobe editing computer thanks to Adobe's recent switch to GPU based compression and decompression for h264 and h265. I'm no longer tied to Quicksync and the I7-8700 (non-k) that has required substantial undervolting to keep cool. So I will be switching to Ryzen 5000 series, and cooling it with a Noctua L12S

Now the natural choice of the Ryzen 5000 series for this case is the 5600X. While it has the same core count and threads as the outgoing 8700, it actually outperforms even the 9900K based CPUs in the workload I'm using.

So I, of course, rejected the 5600X and WILL BE SMASHING A 5950X 16 CORE MONSTER INTO MY MI-6! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Cores baby! Gimme them cores!!!!

...ahem...updates to follow.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Well, it's upgrade time for my CCD MI-6. It will once again become my main Adobe editing computer thanks to Adobe's recent switch to GPU based compression and decompression for h264 and h265. I

This is interesting, may I know which Adobe software exactly? I assume something like their movie editor? (which I am not really familiar with)