Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I like the idea in theory, but I think a V-milled line would look much better. It has more depth to it and you can control its surface finish better than with an etched line.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Looking for Your feedback....

Been a bit fidgety about the front face and it's lack of features, -may make it seem a bit, well, how best to put this: Huge and plain.
Been thinking of doing this to the front: A laser etched center line, and also round the bottom corners.

I must beg for forgiveness on the pic colors I have been showing. For some reason my renderer actually renders a black exterior as pitch black with no detail, so I have to lighten it to a more grey appearance to get details.

Note, the goal is still to produce these in black.

Thoughts?

Thx

Wait... please enlighten me:

I thought that plain, flat front face is what people want? Isn't that why you decided to put the power switch at the back of the case, and no USB & audio ports in front?

Reactions: cmyk78

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
ignsvn,
Well, I'm looking at ideas that could make the case even more attractive, lol. Yes you are right, the main idea is a simple clean front, with the opportunity for the owner to personalize that surface with whatever cool stuff they want. Many do like that idea.

I'm also thinking of how to increase the appeal further. And I am realizing that, if I come up with an additional design idea, the front cover is reversible, so there can be 2 different surfaces for designs. A simple clean side and maybe a different design side. Also, since the front is now relatively inexpensive to make, I could offer other cover designs.

Anyway, that's how the thoughts are going so far...

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
ignsvn,
Well, I'm looking at ideas that could make the case even more attractive, lol. Yes you are right, the main idea is a simple clean front, with the opportunity for the owner to personalize that surface with whatever cool stuff they want. Many do like that idea.

I'm also thinking of how to increase the appeal further. And I am realizing that, if I come up with an additional design idea, the front cover is reversible, so there can be 2 different surfaces for designs. A simple clean side and maybe a different design side. Also, since the front is now relatively inexpensive to make, I could offer other cover designs.

Anyway, that's how the thoughts are going so far...

@firewolfy understood, fair points :)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
There is something about your "split panel" front that I really like. Honestly I think your chassis is quite attractive.

This stage is always the hardest...it is good to second guess yourself, but only if it creates experimentation. If it's not right in your gut go expend your brain with a dozen more designs for the front. Just do 12 different ones literally. Make them all different even if they are CRAP. You will either find a new direction to go in, or confirm that what you had to begin with is enough.

I like your current front...can it be improved? Yeah...I have an idea in fact...but I'm going to buy one of these and mod it so I'm not giving you any ideas. :p

Actually I do have one if you wanna talk about it in a PM or skype or something.

Reactions: Colinreay

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I am definitely not a fan of the line and 4 circles - it makes it look like that was supposed to be the bottom of the chassis, the line is the seam where two sides join and the 4 circles are feet - it makes it look like the bottom of the case set on the side.

Original was super nice, don't second guess yourself too much. Less is more nowa days

Reactions: eggDK

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I think the finish is more important than what is on the front. Nothing wrong with looking at a good quality slate of metal. I mean, look at Apple's stuff. Consumers eat the right up.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I fell like you can have 2 extra 2.5 inch drive slot here:

Not sure will that fit though, but I thought living a big space there is a kind of waste :/

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Not sure will that fit though, but I thought living a big space there is a kind of waste :/

It's for tucking in cables. Cables... are long, especially in such an compact case.

edit, I kinda see what you're thinking there, on the side... There may not be enough clearance to clear the SATA cable and power connector.

edit 2, assuming that the internal clearance for the GPU is the length of the internal space, at 188mm, with a SFX PSU, that leaves at 88mm. The 2.5 takes up 100mm length + ~15 for cables. So it won't fit.

Reactions: 1461748123

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

That space is for a 92mm fan, a 2.5" drive is 100mm long and you need about 10mm for low-profile cables, so that's not working out. If you're lucky and get a mainboard that would allow a drive to fit horizontally there (which is going to be relatively rare, sticking it to the side-panel with tape is an option still. But as it was said, keep in mind that there will be cables going into this case.

Reactions: 1461748123

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
It's for tucking in cables. Cables... are long, especially in such an compact case.

edit, I kinda see what you're thinking there, on the side... There may not be enough clearance to clear the SATA cable and power connector.

edit 2, assuming that the internal clearance for the GPU is the length of the internal space, at 188mm, with a SFX PSU, that leaves at 88mm. The 2.5 takes up 100mm length + ~15 for cables. So it won't fit.

Totally forgot that part :D now I know why!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Depth of the case is 195mm (internal). SFX PSU is 100mm, so 95mm of space.
HDD is 100mm long, plus maybe 10mm min for connectors, so 110mm needed, so not enough space.

You could place a drive vertically if a low cpu cooler is used, although the drive would block some of the fan area...

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Although, if a TFX or flex psu was used, there would be lots of room, -just no room for the bottom case fan since those psu's are so long...

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I prefer the idea of leaving the front plain, so the end user has the entire panel as a canvas for having their own laser etch applied…

Reactions: cmyk78

exodus

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2016
I support the "sleek one" as well. I know vertical line is supposed to make you look thinner, but i guess it just does not fit here, heh. Maybe a horizontal line or just not focused symmetrical on to the middle. i don't know. Vote for plain n sleek. Merry christmas to everyone !

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I support the "sleek one" as well. I know vertical line is supposed to make you look thinner, but i guess it just does not fit here, heh. Maybe a horizontal line or just not focused symmetrical on to the middle. i don't know. Vote for plain n sleek. Merry christmas to everyone !
Thx for the feedback, and I hope everyone has a good Christmas.

Reactions: murrgz and Ceros_X