Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
MSI RTX 3060 Ti, I didn't think it would happen but glad I was wrong. This gives 2080 Super level performance at only 172mm.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
But this is a single fan card. Correct me if I'm wrong - miners would usually buy double or triple fans cards? After all, they have no space constrain, why go with single fan card which is usually worse in cooling.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
But this is a single fan card. Correct me if I'm wrong - miners would usually buy double or triple fans cards? After all, they have no space constrain, why go with single fan card which is usually worse in cooling.

Because they're also often the cheapest and noise doesn't matter in mining rigs :(

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Because they're also often the cheapest and noise doesn't matter in mining rigs :(

I didn't mean noise, I meant temperature. Same GPU chip running on the same clock, obviously dual or triple fan ones will have better temperature.

Based on my experience, single fan GPU are not the always cheapest.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I didn't mean noise, I meant temperature. Same GPU chip running on the same clock, obviously dual or triple fan ones will have better temperature.

Based on my experience, single fan GPU are not the always cheapest.

A single fan gpu with the fan at 100% won't run hot and the added noise is of no importance to miners. In the end, I think only price matters as money is essentially the only thing you mine for. I don't know what pricing will be on this GPU, but when I bought the 1070 aero, it was one of the cheapest 1070s.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
From the limited reading I've done, most miners are undervolting their cards to optimize power consumption, maximizing their profits. So even then running a single fan at 100% would be enough.

Reactions: ignsvn

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
LOL remember, just buy what you need & leave some for the rest of us 😄

All of them. I need all of them. Have you seen my sig?!? 😁

Now we all have figure out who is selling them and how to get them.

Part of me really wants to upgrade my 8700 to a 5900x to go with this card. The other part of me wants to be able to buy food.

leifeinar

Trash Compacter
Sep 18, 2019
each 8pin is 150w, while the pci delivers 75w. so 150+150+75=375w :)

whish the gpu marked would improve, but it seems the 3060/ti might be more poppular among miners.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
each 8pin is 150w, while the pci delivers 75w. so 150+150+75=375w :)

whish the gpu marked would improve, but it seems the 3060/ti might be more poppular among miners.

Between scalpers, miners, and a shortage of FAB space, the average consumer stands no chance. This is really the lost generation of GPUs.

I've been checking everyday for the AERO series to get listed on sites, but so far, nothing.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Has anyone swapped their riser cable to a 4.0 one yet?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I would be very interested to see some (real life / gaming) performance tests using the same hardware running on PCIe Gen 3 vs. Gen 4. If it's just a few FPS difference it's not (yet) worth to upgrade the riser IMHO.

Edit: just found some comparisons. Only 0 to 3% difference in FPS depending on the test. Guess I'll wait for RTX4XXX until I upgrade to PCIe Gen 4. 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer